Sponsored

What should I do? New Bronco vs old Jeep. (LONG)

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I considered building my YJ instead of a Bronco. In the end I wanted something more daily-able that would be done sooner. Maybe.
With it being a new model it could sit at the dealer for months waiting for parts or fixes. It’s happened to me a few times. Not to fun when your brand new vehicle is sitting at a dealership.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With it being a new model it could sit at the dealer for months waiting for parts or fixes. It’s happened to me a few times. Not to fun when your brand new vehicle is sitting at a dealership.
It COULD. Not too likely though, most everything I'm optioning is somewhat proven in other vehicles.

If I build my YJ it WILL end up taking 3-4 years. Plus another year of chasing down gremlins.

I'll take another year of waiting, possibly a bit more if there are problems, over 3-4 years of work personally.

I know myself. In this case it's probably better for me to throw some money at the situation.

OP
OP
ferbm

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks everyone. I dont know that anything is settled, but it is all good food for thought. The good news is that there is really no wrong way to do this!

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good options either way you go.

I like tech. I've test driven the new Jeeps and was somewhat disappointed. They are lot of fun on the trails, but not so fun for a safe test drive. LOL.

But most of my driving would be as a daily driver with some light to medium off-roading. That sounds like it's probably true for you, too. In that scenario, I think the Bronco will be light years better.

I'm expecting the Bronco to drive closer to the 4Runner than the Wrangler on the road.

Like you, I've been watching the Wrangler for some time. I like having sold 4WD or AWD. But I also began to really want to be able to ditch the top and/or doors. The Wrangler was really the only game in town. I was gearing up to buy one despite the lackluster test drive until I saw the early rumors of the Bronco. I put the Jeep on hold and waited for the reveal. I'm very excited about the Bronco and look forward to having my Badlands with lux package. It can't get here soon enough.

You could also do what my neighbor across the street just did his week. He wants the Bronco but didn't want to wait until next year or the year after. So he bought a Gladiator and plans to sell or trade it when he can get the Bronco. Not a bad plan, since he's unlikely to lose any money on a Jeep.

Sponsored

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dudes (and dude-ettes),
I am a bit torn here. I have wanted a Jeep for so many years I cant even remember. It's just been very hard with kids, a pontoon boat, and a bunch of snowmobiles. I need to tow quite a bit of weight 6-10 times a year, and have been traveling to grandparents with two kids and a dog for over 16 years now.

Now with the kids getting older, driving themselves and other things that make us old people more independent, I am finally back to thinking about an open-air 4x4.

I currently drive a 2012 suburban (XL). It does everything I need from a family-hauling and snowmobile towing perspective. It's getting old, rusting, and needs little things here and there. However, overall, it's still a very comfortable and reliable vehicle.

If I end up keeping the suburban for the occasional towing and hauling job, do I go with a new bronco (Badlands + Sasquatch), or do I go with an old(er) Jeep and build up what I want?

Important to consider... I don't like to keep things clean, but I do like technology. I would go with vinyl seats and a rubber floor no questions asked! I would also keep the top off as much as I could. I wouldn't was more than 6 times a year.

Have fun preaching to me! I'm excited to see your opinions.
I have been eying the jeep for 10 years but with kids and expenses it never happened. I paid my Ford focus off 2 years early thinking I might get the JL . And then the Bronco came out. If I had pulled the Jeep trigger I would be kicking myself. We are in some amazing times in US history and Ford made in the USA is part of that. Take all that jeep money you planned on dumping into the parts monster and buy the Bronco. Everything built under warentee from the factory.

Zeno

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Defender Trophy Edition, 20 Ranger, 911SC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based upon your desire for technology and a daily driver, I would go with the Bronco. I have a 1983 911SC Cabriolet and a 1983 FJ40 for fun with the top down, but there is no way that I would have either of them as daily drivers. They are completely restored and drive great, but the everyday technology and reliability that I want is not there. I have to have my hands free use for phone and text and I want the creature comforts of a newer vehicle for everyday driving. Trust me, no amount of upgrades and extras will get you to the features of the right new vehicle. I am afraid that if you doll up an older Jeep you will be driving your Suburban more that you want and the Jeep will become your weekend toy. The new Bronco gives you the top off, technology, and reliability you will wish that you had in any resto-mod you attempt to create.

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks everyone. I dont know that anything is settled, but it is all good food for thought. The good news is that there is really no wrong way to do this!
If the wife is still around.....just ask her what she wants you to do. You should know by now.....that's how it works.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you were driving around in that older fixed up jeep would you be jealous of the guy with the Sasquatch Bronco driving by?
or
If you were driving around in the bronco would you be jealous of the guy with the immaculate CJ 7?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I almost pulled the trigger on a 1953 Willys Jeep CJ3B High Hood with the Willys Hurricane engine 15 years ago for only $1,500. But I just did not have the time to restore it then, oh well.

Similar model that was restored:

427385f60ebf05a7ae5cc149ca8fa6d8.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
ferbm

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you were driving around in that older fixed up jeep would you be jealous of the guy with the Sasquatch Bronco driving by?
or
If you were driving around in the bronco would you be jealous of the guy with the immaculate CJ 7?
Unfortunately, BOTH!

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you have not, try to find a demo 6G to Drive, then drive a Jeep and decide.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Necro Thread, much?

RSHart

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2013 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dudes (and dude-ettes),
I am a bit torn here. I have wanted a Jeep for so many years I cant even remember. It's just been very hard with kids, a pontoon boat, and a bunch of snowmobiles. I need to tow quite a bit of weight 6-10 times a year, and have been traveling to grandparents with two kids and a dog for over 16 years now.

Now with the kids getting older, driving themselves and other things that make us old people more independent, I am finally back to thinking about an open-air 4x4.

I currently drive a 2012 suburban (XL). It does everything I need from a family-hauling and snowmobile towing perspective. It's getting old, rusting, and needs little things here and there. However, overall, it's still a very comfortable and reliable vehicle.

If I end up keeping the suburban for the occasional towing and hauling job, do I go with a new bronco (Badlands + Sasquatch), or do I go with an old(er) Jeep and build up what I want?

Important to consider... I don't like to keep things clean, but I do like technology. I would go with vinyl seats and a rubber floor no questions asked! I would also keep the top off as much as I could. I wouldn't was more than 6 times a year.

Have fun preaching to me! I'm excited to see your opinions.
I would get something more reliable than a Jeep.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like the suburban is being retired to hauling duty and you're looking for a DD? I'd go with the Bronco just to have something new under warranty and not a mystery of a used Jeep, even if those 4 liters run forever. I can only speak for around my area but older used Jeeps here are a absolute disaster. Swiss cheese frames hidden by decent bodies for 12k for a 2002. Just not worth it unless you're good with a welder or ready to do a frame swap.

HA never noticed the original post date from the OP. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored