Sponsored

Wheel Well Liner - Problems on the Bronco Sport - Problem for the Bronco?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the recent deliveries of the Bronco Sport, some owners have discovered that the wheel well liners are fabric. The cost cutting design isn't just relegated to the 1.5L Grocery Getter, but across all trims including the FE and Badlands. One owner had already tore out the liner when ice accumulated on the liner and pulled out the liner causing the tire to do the rest. Another member mentioned that the fabric wheel well liners are also present on the F-150.

I made the assumption as I'm sure most others had in that the Bronco will have rigid plastic wheel well liners. I don't think that is an unreasonable assumption. I haven't really paid attention to photos showing the wheel wells.

Can anyone who has been up-close or have paid attention to the photo evidence allay my concern that Ford's Bean-counters hadn't convinced the designers to opt for fabric liners?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That certainly looks like rigid plastic. It is what I was expecting based on my assumption. But when another chimed in that the F-150 had fabric liners that was shocking to me. I'm going to be searching for more photos and I'll share them here just to allay any concern.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They have been using fabric liners for 15 years or more. They work fine for cleanup. I have them on my 3500. It is not cost cutting. They actually cost a bit more and add noise insulation. I admit the black plastic looks sharper when clean but they are just as durable.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had read in another post the f150 had what seemed like a felt or fuzzy coating on the plastic and the bronco appeared to have the same.

This may be the fabric on the Bronco sport but I suspect its something more substantial.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have a CRV and the liners are a fabric material. I think they are used for sound deadening.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is standard for cars today, they seem to be plenty durable in every application I’ve seen them in. Although it would be nice if they were metal backed like wheel wells used to be.

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They have been using fabric liners for 15 years or more. They work fine for cleanup. I have them on my 3500. It is not cost cutting. They actually cost a bit more and add noise insulation. I admit the black plastic looks sharper when clean but they are just as durable.
Now, I would expect a sound deadening layer on the inside of the wheel well but covered by an outer plastic at least for those who are optioning for additional sound deadening. But I was surprised to read that the one owner had it torn it out when it got caught in the wheel after coming loose from ice buildup.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The liners are felt in our 2019 Z71. At first I was like WTF?! these are going to be horrible and mud/dirt is going to stick like crazy, never come clean.
Now a year and a half later I can say they are just as easy, if not easier to clean than the hard plastic (and even metal ones) of older days.
They do catch dirt and look worse pretty quickly (I live on a gravel road, more muddy gravel/mud since Thanksgiving than gravel) but clean up easily enough at a car wash.
Bronco ones from what I've been able to tell in pictures look hard plastic.
I didn't think to look at the Overland build when I went to see it in person...

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One owner out of how many?

I’ve surprised the OP is surprised on the wheel well material. As has been said above, this is nothing new. The ”fabric material” is a plastic composite and is durable.

I’m sure there will be hard plastic A/M or even OEM options made available if you want to change out the stock offerings.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Now, I would expect a sound deadening layer on the inside of the wheel well but covered by an outer plastic at least for those who are optioning for additional sound deadening. But I was surprised to read that the one owner had it torn it out when it got caught in the wheel after coming loose from ice buildup.
It may be an issue for the rock crawlers but the Bronco being an SUV with decent ground clearance shouldn’t have any of the issues the unibody sport has, as it’s wheels are surrounded by wheel wells.

Last edited:

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife’s 2019 Expe has the fabric liners as well. I thought they were ok.

351HO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150, 92 Ranger, 85 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This.

Here is a better view of the material from this thread:

Ford Bronco Wheel Well Liner -  Problems on the Bronco Sport - Problem for the Bronco? 2021-Bronco-easter-egg-lift-me-baby-wheel-well

EDIT: Here is a picture I took myself of the pre production liner on the overland concept from SuperCel East:
Ford Bronco Wheel Well Liner -  Problems on the Bronco Sport - Problem for the Bronco? 20201008_114440

It also gives a nice view of the fender flare quick release clips. I got some odd looks from people as I was rolling around in the grass getting this pic lol.

It seems they changed materials for the production models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This.

Here is a better view of the material from this thread:

Ford Bronco Wheel Well Liner -  Problems on the Bronco Sport - Problem for the Bronco? 20201008_114440

EDIT: Here is a picture I took myself of the pre production liner on the overland concept from SuperCel East:

It also gives a nice view of the fender flare quick release clips. I got some odd looks from people as I was rolling around in the grass getting this pic lol.

It seems they changed materials for the production models.
Thanks for providing the two different photos. I was doing an image search on my own and some of the photos were like the last one with rigid plastic. So I guess, we can expect the fabric liners and it was naive of me to make the assumption. Mea Culpa.
Sponsored