Sponsored

Where do you put/store your key fob in the vehicle?

BRONCO_MARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe I am just old but in my F150 I had a physical key which was just fine, so when I got into the truck the key goes into the ignition, turn, vehicle runs. When it is time to get out, take out the key and truck shuts off.

Fast forward to last week when I rented a car with a push-button "keyless" ignition (even though it had a "key" which I had to carry around), and I'll be damned if half the time I lost the fob inside the car since unlike a traditional key which physically holds your keys, this one, rolled off the center console, or fell into a cup holder, or fell in between the seat, et cetera, and sometimes both my wife and I would exit the vehicle, forgetting to push the ignition button to turn the vehicle off LOL. It used to be muscle memory with a physical key.

So what was wrong with the old way? How long did it get you to get used to the push button setup? Is there a place in the bronco to store it, or an aftermarket product to hold your keys like in the "old days?"

Edit: last but not least, I never had to worry about replacing batteries in my F150 key.
I would not trust myself to put it anywhere. The fob stays in my pocket at all times.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hope somebody with info answers your question about the longevity of the keypad battery.

My keys and daily fob always hang from either a dedicated hook in my office or my belt. But what about that 2nd fob as a spare?

I've started, but haven't put in operation, use of the hollow space in the tailgate as a secure hide--an idea once broached on a thread here. This is the plan:
1) Relocate the adhesive-backed keypad to inside the fuel fill covering. This is not secure, but it is out of sight, and no place a thief is likely to check. Well, a gas thief, maybe.
2) Pry off the plastic louvre from inside the tailgate. Cut off the snap pins that secure it to the tailgate cavity.
3) Glue velcro or some other product to affix the vent cover so it can be easily removed and re-attached. You now have a hidden, reasonably secure compartment to stow high-value items.
4) Get a Faraday box or pouch, where you can put your spare fob, a backup credit car, cash, your house keys, things like that.

Of course, somebody might observe you accessing the system and crack it. No security system is 100% effective: you have to find the balance between convenience and realistic protection against probable threats. I'm trying to figure out a way to install a secure lockbox where I can stow a firearm so there would be one more level or security.

Incidentally, at least two outfits use this space for a compressor. I do wonder about heat dispersion:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tailgate-compressor-mount-early-review.81519/

https://bronco6g.com/forum/threads/coming-soon-iag-tailgate-air-compressor-kit.94471/
You could just as easily carry the keyless panel in a shirt or jacket pocket. Just like keyfob it only has to be near vehicle not on it

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't keep my fob on my key ring. When I dress in the morning I put in in my pocket next to my pocket knife. It stays there until evening. My key ring has the rest of my keys, house, gate, etc.

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok dumb question but if the fob battery dies, how do you start the car? I guess you could still get in if you have a keypad (which the '24s do not have anymore), but when you are in the vehicle it will still let you start without a working CR2032 battery?
Not a dumb question unless it's not asked. I had the same question. So I asked the salesman when I took delivery. Unlock the driver's door with the metal (bladed) key then follow the instructions below.

Attachments

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carry mine attached to a carabiner which is hooked into my belt loop. I have lost my Bronco before but never my fob. 😁
After seeing Mitch from Wild Horses do this at last years Big Bear Bronco Bash, I've done it ever since. I always had problems with setting off the alarm & such when they were in my pocket due to the sensitive buttons.

In my pocket
I use to, but above explains why I no longer do that 🤠

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Little storage add on gizmo from Amazon.

IMG_3905.jpeg

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe I am just old but in my F150 I had a physical key which was just fine, so when I got into the truck the key goes into the ignition, turn, vehicle runs. When it is time to get out, take out the key and truck shuts off.

Fast forward to last week when I rented a car with a push-button "keyless" ignition (even though it had a "key" which I had to carry around), and I'll be damned if half the time I lost the fob inside the car since unlike a traditional key which physically holds your keys, this one, rolled off the center console, or fell into a cup holder, or fell in between the seat, et cetera, and sometimes both my wife and I would exit the vehicle, forgetting to push the ignition button to turn the vehicle off LOL. It used to be muscle memory with a physical key.

So what was wrong with the old way? How long did it get you to get used to the push button setup? Is there a place in the bronco to store it, or an aftermarket product to hold your keys like in the "old days?"

Edit: last but not least, I never had to worry about replacing batteries in my F150 key.
My pockets are handy places to keep stuff. .effing amazing ain't it?

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done it ever since. I always had problems with setting off the alarm & such when they were in my pocket due to the sensitive buttons.
I've had that problem from time to time. Button placement helps, facing in or out. I'll change the programming from one press to two when I get around to running Forscan. That will solve the problem. I may go the carabiner route for now. Hadn't thought of it, seems to be a good idea.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't always have my lanyard with me with all my other keys, but I always have my Bronco key fob with me.

When I'm wearing jeans, which is most of the time, I put the fob in this small pocket (shown below). It fits the fob perfectly, and I never forget it. Doesn't matter the vehicle or if it's a rental car etc., it goes in this pocket. To remove the fob, just put up from the bottom of this pocket, and the fob slides right out the top.

In the event I'm wearing shorts or different pants, the fob stays in the usual side pocket.

Ford Bronco Where do you put/store your key fob in the vehicle? 1716812055762-az

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my pocket. Set it and forget it.

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, Porsche GT3RS, Honda CBR1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have one center console armrest sort of thing that has a small pocket, been using that as my key holder.

Ford Bronco Where do you put/store your key fob in the vehicle? WhatsApp Image 2024-05-27 at 17.20.20_84e41db4

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please correct me if I’m wrong- I left my fob in the little front console cubby for a few days while parked in the garage. Three days later I had a dead battery. Is the presence of the fob creating a micro drain on the car battery? I’ve never made the mistake again of leaving the fob in the Bronco.
Sponsored