Sponsored

Which Bronco is right for me? I’m thinking of putting a deposit on new Bronco vs purchasing a 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m cross shopping these because these are two vehicles I really want as a family fun, off road vehicle that are nearly in the same price range.

If I end up going Toyota, it’s the Sequoia for me because it has the larger space for long road trips along with the reliability and excellent 4WD system.

I’m looking to buy one of these vehicles sometime next year, but don’t mind waiting two years if the Bronco is the right fit.
A Sequoia for 4WD and off road? I've never heard anyone say that.

Now, if you're talking Land Cruiser, then yea, but not for $50K unless it's older.

A 4 door Bronco doesn't really have much space at all in comparison to a Sequoia, so not sure what the logic is on these two?

Have you priced used Land Cruisers? Good thing is the truck hasn't changed in like 15 years, so that you give a good shopping range.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh the Toyota no problems myth. 3 Sienna's, Camry Hybrid, 03 an 11 Tundras, and three Prius' of which my kids are driving two still. I can tell you we had to repair each one. Toyota helped with the Prius Battery, paying half of 3,900, but from CV axles, to Gunked up engine in the 06 Sienna, to timing belts, two inverter cooling pumps, digital dashs going out on both Prius' and power window motors etc; The just oil changes and fuel isn't exactly a reality. Have had similar experience with Ford's and to a lesser extent, GM as we've not had as many. I chuckle every time I hear "just oil changes and fuel". I wouldnt have a problem with any new car currently except Hyundai. Beautiful interiors, but have to give them some time to get past the whole engine failure issue.
Thats where I think the Landcruiser/LX 570, GX 470/460, Sequoia and possibly the 4Runner and Tacoma are separate from the rest of the Toyota line up when it comes to reliability, where I think majority of user reviews shows stellar reliability, especially for the Landcruiser and Sequoia.

These last two behemoths have been in the market for decades with tons of good reliability and heavy duty 4WD usage, especially in the Landcruiser being loved all over the world.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A Sequoia for 4WD and off road? I've never heard anyone say that.

Now, if you're talking Land Cruiser, then yea, but not for $50K unless it's older.

A 4 door Bronco doesn't really have much space at all in comparison to a Sequoia, so not sure what the logic is on these two?

Have you priced used Land Cruisers? Good thing is the truck hasn't changed in like 15 years, so that you give a good shopping range.
The Sequoia has a strong 4WD system which I believe is matched to a Landcruiser minus crawl control and off-road modes. It has 4Hi and 4Lo as well.

The Bronco is just fun with newer tech, Toyota has the reliability factor, however if I went with Toyota, I’d take the extra space and the biggest SUV I can buy.

The Landcruiser doesn’t have as much rear space as the Sequoia but I will be looking into used ones from a few years back if it’s in good condition. :)

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, that’s kind of mean isn’t it? Not to mention intrusive. What makes you think that she doesn’t want either of these two vehicles? It might surprise you to know that I’m posting for the both of us since my wife and I make all decisions together.

But to answer your question, I bought a 2018 STi back in 2017 and that car had so much problems that Subaru bought it back and gave me a brand new 2020 STi last year. So no, I didn’t buy an expensive new car in approximately the last three and a half years.

My wife wants an SUV that sits a lot higher and I’m sacrificing a manual because I want her to drive this car more often. So this vehicle is to cater to both her needs and my kids’ needs so that we can enjoy the beautiful outdoors as a family.

She loves the Sequoia and the looks of the Bronco but she doesn’t want us to the buy the Bronco until we sit in it and see if we like it whenever they have a demo vehicle in dealerships which I fully 100% agree, which is why we’re doing all the research now before buying either vehicle.

In any case, I signed up on this forum to get some help in deciding for or against the new Bronco, but this comment is definitely not helpful.
Hahaha....go back and read your post And see if if sounds You wanted advice, people
Wow, that’s kind of mean isn’t it? Not to mention intrusive. What makes you think that she doesn’t want either of these two vehicles? It might surprise you to know that I’m posting for the both of us since my wife and I make all decisions together.

But to answer your question, I bought a 2018 STi back in 2017 and that car had so much problems that Subaru bought it back and gave me a brand new 2020 STi last year. So no, I didn’t buy an expensive new car in approximately the last three and a half years.

My wife wants an SUV that sits a lot higher and I’m sacrificing a manual because I want her to drive this car more often. So this vehicle is to cater to both her needs and my kids’ needs so that we can enjoy the beautiful outdoors as a family.

She loves the Sequoia and the looks of the Bronco but she doesn’t want us to the buy the Bronco until we sit in it and see if we like it whenever they have a demo vehicle in dealerships which I fully 100% agree, which is why we’re doing all the research now before buying either vehicle.

In any case, I signed up on this forum to get some help in deciding for or against the new Bronco, but this comment is definitely not helpful.
thats hilarious! go back and reread your post. you asked for advice and that’s my advice... let your wife decide since she will be the main driver. You are all indignant but you mention nothing about her having input. Count the number of “I”s in your statement. Also....by your second statement I’d say trade in the sti for The bronco. It sounds unreliable, then your wife can get whatever she wants.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The sequoia (2007) is second only to the Nissan Frontier (2005) as the oldest “new” vehicle out there. That alone would make the decision pretty easy for me.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The sequoia (2007) is second only to the Nissan Frontier (2005) as the oldest “new” vehicle out there. That alone would make the decision pretty easy for me.
Yeah, but with that you get solid reliability, On the other hand however, it’s really down on modern tech.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Somehow I completely don't understand someone trying to decide between a Sequoia and a Bronco. You're joking or trolling, right?

Isn't the Sequoia the giant one with the filing cabinet between the front seats? The "I'm running a business out of my SUV" vehicle?

And Bronco is the "Let's go out to play" vehicle.

That's like me asking the forum to help me decide between a Bronco and Kia Soul because there are a ton of websites devoted to people camping out of a Kia Soul and since I want to camp why would I get a Bronco instead of the Kia?????

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, you bought an expensive new car only you could drive because your wife doesn’t drive stick. Now you are picking out another vehicle and deciding between 2 cars YOU like? Shouldn’t you be asking your wife what she would like since it’ll be the one she’ll be driving? Maybe she has an opinion.

Mind your place woman!

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Somehow I completely don't understand someone trying to decide between a Sequoia and a Bronco. You're joking or trolling, right?

Isn't the Sequoia the giant one with the filing cabinet between the front seats? The "I'm running a business out of my SUV" vehicle?

And Bronco is the "Let's go out to play" vehicle.

That's like me asking the forum to help me decide between a Bronco and Kia Soul because there are a ton of websites devoted to people camping out of a Kia Soul and since I want to camp why would I get a Bronco instead of the Kia?????
Nope, I was seriously cross shopping both. Both have excellent 4WD systems but one is a behemoth and the other allows for doors off fun.

Both are similar in price when cross shopping with the Bronco Wildtrack trim.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the issue you’re going to have here, is that we all obviously want Broncos. I would never personally cross shop a Sequoia, because it’s a completely different type of vehicle. The 4WD system isn’t all that similar, it has IFS and IRS, no lockers, no dedicated “crawl mode,” etc. It’s a nice vehicle, but not at all similar to a Bronco. That’s why people are suggesting the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, both of which are more similar in that they’re actually used for the type of off-roading the Bronco was built for.

As a guy with 3 small kids and a dog, I’m just glad we have a minivan or Bronco wouldn’t be on my radar. I’d be saving pennies for a LC to replace my Disco.

Good luck with your choice.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi everyone,

I think I have enough information for now on the 2021 Ford Bronco for my wife and I to discuss which vehicle to go with.

There was some good advice and some “questionable” comments that didn’t help at all.

Thanks very much to everyone who provided good advice.

Steamroller72

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM Sport Quad Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I think I have enough information for now on the 2021 Ford Bronco for my wife and I to discuss which vehicle to go with.

There was some good advice and some “questionable” comments that didn’t help at all.

Thanks very much to everyone who provided good advice.
You mean a 2022 Bronco, right?
You certainly won't get a '21 with a December 2020 reservation.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the issue you’re going to have here, is that we all obviously want Broncos. I would never personally cross shop a Sequoia, because it’s a completely different type of vehicle. The 4WD system isn’t all that similar, it has IFS and IRS, no lockers, no dedicated “crawl mode,” etc. It’s a nice vehicle, but not at all similar to a Bronco. That’s why people are suggesting the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, both of which are more similar in that they’re actually used for the type of off-roading the Bronco was built for.

As a guy with 3 small kids and a dog, I’m just glad we have a minivan or Bronco wouldn’t be on my radar. I’d be saving pennies for a LC to replace my Disco.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks, yeah I understand now about the Sequoia’s less-complex 4WD system.

We need a family vehicle that’s also fun for my two kids and wife and I to enjoy road trips and off-roading, so I’m also looking at Landcruisers that are a few years old which have some of the space that the Sequoia has.

I think the Bronco looks awesome and it’s still on my shopping list but my wife and I will want to wait till we can at least sit on on hopefully next year to see how it fits our family before buying one.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, yeah I understand now about the Sequoia’s less-complex 4WD system.

We need a family vehicle that’s also fun for my two kids and wife and I to enjoy road trips and off-roading, so I’m also looking at Landcruisers that are a few years old which have some of the space that the Sequoia has.

I think the Bronco looks awesome and it’s still on my shopping list but my wife and I will want to wait till we can at least sit on on hopefully next year to see how it fits our family before buying one.
Check out a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The space is very similar, but the Bronco is wider in and out.

The disco I drive is about the same size as a Bronco inside, with a much larger area behind the 2nd row and less leg room in the 2nd row. My family wouldn’t fit without us putting all the crap we need to camp on the roof.
Sponsored