BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure why he kept asking if the V6 had the power to go up an obstacle or tow the other up a hill, traction is the key not horsepower (he mentioned the V6 when referring to both vehicles). He mentions the V6 and power as wheels are off the ground or spinning, doesn’t make much sense.
Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One thing readily apparent is the importance of lockers on an IFS vehicle. No way in hell I would buy a bronco without lockers. Broncos with and without lockers are basically two different vehicle types.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sure wheelbase makes a difference but It doesn't matter here. The fact is Ford's system could not figure out how to get traction to the wheels while the Toyota did. Ford has had this system on the Ranger since 2019 so has had time to tweak it...
Um yeah it does matter. The wheelbases are 9.4 inches different they are literally in different holes at the same time. Considering that climb had staggered holes all the way up it. The Longer wheelbase could easily have not hit 2 deeper holes and just put a tire in one while the other did. When diffs are not locked 1 tire in a hole is easier to drag brake out of then 2 tires in diagonally opposed holes. Its pretty simple. Another test that should have been done was for the 2 rigs to try it in 2wd with rear locker on. Probably would have made it and the Bronco might have done it with less drama.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another thought - (Edit) when he started in Mud and Ruts and changed the settings to match from there instead of normal then maybe more apples to apples. IMO, Ford's trail control is really a low speed control (i.e., not traction).

So it's not really an apples to apples feature.
Agree. We don't really know the programming of the traction system, but we do know it changes depending on GOAT mode. E.g., Sand or Baja will probably allow more wheel spin to keep from bogging down and getting stuck, but maybe less than a Mud mode to keep you from digging yourself into a hole in the sand.
He should have tested in different modes and turned off the locker to simulate a Bronco without that option.
On the other hand, he talks about Crawl Control being the easy mode and GOAT is the equivalent easy mode, but for this test he has to flip a bunch of settings in the Bronco. An inexperienced Bronco drive will just turn the GOAT dial.
Apples to apples would have been to try every pertinent permutation of settings to find the one that best emulates lockers in the Bronco.
My guess is, Crawl Control emulates lockers better than the Bronco traction control. But who cares? Ford gave us lockers which are far superior to an electronic wheel braking system.

Also, SWB vs LWB makes for a pointless comparison. We all know LWB and Auto is better for most off road obstacles now that tire technology has made 35" and 37" work well on road.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looks like @Ford Motor Company might have dropped the ball on programming the traction control. On my Xterra, or the 4Runner, the brake "limited slip differential" system stays active with traction control disabled. Disabling the traction control only eliminates the reduction of power to stop wheel slip. It seems on the Bronco it disables b oth systems, and that happens as soon as you put it in 4 low. There isn't really a reason to ever deactivate the brake "limited slip differential". Hopefully that gets fixed in a software update. (If not, the Ford Performance M210 or an ARB might be in my future.)

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doesn't matter one bit whether it's 2wd, 4wd or 6wd. The Ford computer couldn't figure out how to apply traction. Now IF the Ford computer could have gotten the opposite tire to turn like it's supposed to and it still wouldn't go then we can blame it on a different wb but THAT didn't happen.
I guess you might have challenges with both space dimensions and reading comprehension. I was stating the wheel base is 9” longer and you replied with ‘it doesn’t matter if it’s 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive or 6 wheel drive’ - which has nothing to do with wheelbase length. Ok then, not worth discussing when people don’t get it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been fou rwheeling for 8 years and I don't go anywhere without a winch. I will spring for the High package because I figure the cameras might be helpful
Agree but the wife also isnt willing to give up her ACC that shes had for 3yrs and I dont blame her with all the interstate driving & traffic she hits.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess you might have challenges with both space dimensions and reading comprehension. I was stating the wheel base is 9” longer and you replied with ‘it doesn’t matter if it’s 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive or 6 wheel drive’ - which has nothing to do with wheelbase length. Ok then, not worth discussing when people don’t get it.
WB doesn't matter- the Ford trail control didn't work!! The Toyota did. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT???

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really liked this video. The only surprise to me was that after all the Bronco compliments, at the end he "voted" for the 4 runner.

The video was simply to compared the computers ability to use traction control and the video clearly shows, without a doubt that Ford's system is lacking. It spun and spun that front tire where you can see the Toyota quickly transfer power.

This wasn't an off road comparison as to who is better.

Just like the drag racing...just comparing apples to apples as best they can... Not that you would ever not use the locker(s) that you paid for.

Raz4back

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re talking about buying a TRD I’d love to see you walk right in and buy one. I have a TRD, it was a six month wait on a list at multiple dealers. Good luck.
my local dealer has 3 Off Roads and a Pro on the lot right now

Sponsored

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why was it an odd way to test it? The Bronco models that don't have lockers only have that system to get them through the tough spots.. That's what it's designed for.....
Excellent point, I have a Badlands on order so at the end of the day it doesn't matter since it's equipped with lockers. But the trim levels that don't this is a major issue. My 2007 FJ A- Trac would have clamped down on the spinning wheels and gotten over that little hill without needing the rear locker .You can see the traction control try ( kinda pathetic attempt) clamp on the spinning wheels , but yes NOT impressed with Ford's traction control system. The question I would like to know is Ford aware of this, if so would they even address this issue.🤔

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

..,The video was simply to compared the computers ability to use traction control and the video clearly shows, without a doubt that Ford's system is lacking. It spun and spun that front tire where you can see the Toyota quickly transfer power…
To say that Ford’s system is lacking is generous. My sixteen year old Xterra’s system works so well it would make this climb effortlessly in 4 low without engaging the rear locker. Looks like my BD has either a locking M210, an ARB air locker, or a Trutrack for the front differential in the future. (Sorry, I can’t stand the grill and signature lights of the BL. I wish I did.)

Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can unscrew this in the future.

Yes, the longer wheelbase helps but obviously the brake “limited slip differentials” are non-existent on the Bronco right now. Maybe a ploy to force consumers up a trim when all of the hardware is there to be good enough for the otherwise 70% of owners who will go off road that would be golden with a rear locker and brake “LSD” in the front.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually kinda disappointed in this. I was hoping Fords Traction control could overcome the climb. That means a Bronco without any lockers may get stuck more easily. Would love to see all the GOAT modes working in this challenge to see if it can get out without lockers.
Sponsored