Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whatever, drink your TRD koolaid.
You must be a blind Ford fan boy.
I have owned over a dozen Fords but I can see the Toyota is better as far as crawl control goes
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What are you talking about? The Toyota made the climb with out lockers. The Bronco could not. Both had their version of trail control turned on. That was apples to apples.
Now he could have found a harder obstacle and did lockers vs lockers if he had of wanted to and that would also have been an equal comparison though I think the Bronco has a front locker and the 4Runner doesn't
Agreed the test segment was of the trail control (in particular the spinning wheel braking to force power to the other wheel) to emulate lockers. Apples to apples. I've been wanting to see this in action on the Bronco. The video indicates the Toyota trail control performs better in that regard.

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But you can buy one now and have fun and not the other
If you’re talking about buying a TRD I’d love to see you walk right in and buy one. I have a TRD, it was a six month wait on a list at multiple dealers. Good luck.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you’re talking about buying a TRD I’d love to see you walk right in and buy one. I have a TRD, it was a six month wait on a list at multiple dealers. Good luck.
what you talking about ,I see one at my local Toyota dealership all time

Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Found one for you TRD PRO at Findlay Toyota in Henderson NV

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks - I guess these aren’t in demand any more
I am sure there in demand but when a dealer says call and ask for price I am guessing its more then people want to pay

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It looked like a fair test to me. Bronco owners manual states traction control shuts off in 4L. Maybe some GOAT modes reinvigorate (maybe Sand?) it but it's not plain in the OM. It looks like, and my son's Tacoma verifies, it does work in low range on Toyotas.

Stability control also shuts off in 4L, it would be nice if traction control stayed on and just Stability shut off

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wheelbase wheelbase wheelbase! 4 door vs 2 doors should never be used in direct comparison on a hill climb. Veteran offroaders know the difference. Its why I stretched my CJ5 wheelbase 5.5 inches. For climbing. When the front tires are in one spot the rears may be in a completely different spot on just a 4 inch difference in wheelbase the 4runner has a 9.4 inches difference in wheelbase. Go see the comparison when there is a turn between trees on a climb, the 2 door will go through and the 4 door will back up.

Also any kind of control feature is pointless If your a noob it wont teach you anything and if your experienced you wont need it.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Why was it an odd way to test it? The Bronco models that don't have lockers only have that system to get them through the tough spots.. That's what it's designed for.....
Because if you’re testing the top of the line capable 4Runner using all it’s tech, then you should test a Badlands against it using the lockers when needed.

Otherwise test a regular 4Runner vs a OBX or BB.

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because if you’re testing the top of the line capable 4Runner using all it’s tech, then you should test a Badlands against it using the lockers when needed.

That wasn't the top of the line 4runner, and they didn't use all its tech. He specifically states that they didn't use atrac, only engaging the rear locker. Atrac is probably the best brake base traction control on the market today, and is damn near as good as a front locker when used in conjunction with the rear locker. It's not as good as a front locker in slow speed rock crawling, but it's very impressive and a suitable replacement in most conditions that aren't big rocks. The 4runners drivetrain is more capable than the sheetmetal around it will generally allow, at least in stock form.

As for crawl control, it should work better, Toyota has been using it since 2008. Yes it's noisy, but it does work and works very well. It's ability to self extract in sand/dirt is something that others have been chasing as well for years.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope .. it was apple to apple. The same technology was used in both vehicles. ONLY that feature was tested but the Ford's didn't work

They didn't test all of the 4runner's tech just the trail control system on it and on the Bronco. If you watch the video you will see how the Bronco's computer couldn't figure out how to apply the brakes to get the traction needed while the 4runner's computer did what it was supposed too. Crawl control is NOT new technology. Toyota came out with it in 2008. Ford's system needs more work.

What this video tells you is that if you plan on going off road you better not depend upon Ford's trail control system to get you out of a bind. You need at least a rear locker AND a winch for just in case.
For me it's gonna be a Badlands with front and rear lockers and a winch....

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

John Deere trd troll

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should be expected. Fords just getting back in ring. If you ordered lockers none of this matters. I did and So I don’t care about this video. I have an Fj with rear locker and a-trac.’ It’s pretty sweet but it’s no front locker.
Sponsored