Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you’re talking about buying a TRD I’d love to see you walk right in and buy one. I have a TRD, it was a six month wait on a list at multiple dealers. Good luck.
All depends on where you live. They are on lots, almost bought one a month ago before I ended up with my rubicon
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nope .. it was apple to apple. The same technology was used in both vehicles. ONLY that feature was tested but the Ford's didn't work

cough wheelbase cough

it matters.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Who cares what that top offering Turd can do stock against a lesser than top offering bronco!! The whole point of the bronco is you can get lockers from the factory and the ability to turn it into a monster. No other midsize vehicle aside from a Wrangler, (that doesn't really have a full width midsize body to start with) is going to accept 40's with relatively mild lifts and most importantly, 1/4 panels, fenders, and flare BOLT-ONS.

IF, there is not a traction mode that works well on full auto, not using the lockers, it's probably only an on-air download away from doing so. The ABS and traction control hardware is obviously already there.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Joez60421

Nope .. it was apple to apple. The same technology was used in both vehicles. ONLY that feature was tested but the Ford's didn't work
OK sure - if we’re just talking about trail control comparison (a feature a 7MT buyer like me could care less about).

However, I don’t think an arms tied behind the back comparison yields an accurate overall result., while I know 4Runners are awesome vehicles, the TRD Off Road is not more capable than a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, for example. Nor do I believe it is as capable as a Badlands.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cough wheelbase cough

it matters.
Sure wheelbase makes a difference but It doesn't matter here. The fact is Ford's system could not figure out how to get traction to the wheels while the Toyota did. Ford has had this system on the Ranger since 2019 so has had time to tweak it...

Sponsored
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

John Deere trd troll
Afraid not. I suggest you search for my username and you will see I am on multiple Ford forums and have been for over 15 years. I also have owned many Ford's over the years and have two now.
The simple fact is Ford's system doesn't work as good as Toyota's. Does it make a difference on whether I buy a Badlands or not? NO because I will have front and rear lockers BUT for those that buy an open locker Bronco they need to know that they are more than likely going to get stuck if they depend upon Ford's trail control system

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
John Deere trd troll
You sound more and more like a typical jeep owner.
@Joez60421

OK sure - if we’re just talking about trail control comparison (a feature a 7MT buyer like me could care less about).

However, I don’t think an arms tied behind the back comparison yields an accurate overall result., while I know 4Runners are awesome vehicles, the TRD Off Road is not more capable than a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, for example. Nor do I believe it is as capable as a Badlands.
I don't think anyone is saying that the 4runner is more capable. It's a very capable and competent vehicle, but a stock badlands and a stock Rubicon will crawl right past any level of 4runner when the rocks get big enough. Especially when you look at the lack of armor on the 4runner.

The 4runner is a great, albeit ancient platform. And while most people with off road experience will never use trail/crawl control, or MultinTefrsin Select, or GOAT modes, the reality is that Ford is advertising them HARD as a selling feature of the Bronco. Those electronic assists will help make newbies more comfortable and get people off road who have never done it before. It's fair to compare them and realize why they are doing it, and it's not for people who have been out on the trails for a majority of their lives. I'll never use any of it, I just need the locker switches. But my wife may, and if it makes her more comfortable behind the wheel on the trail, it's a win.

Toyota's crawl control works better than Fords trail control, but so far ford's Trail Turn seems to work better than Toyota's. Mainly because you can use it with the front locker engaged, Toyota doesn't have a front locker to engage. A spot they likely saw the opportunity to improve, and did.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the testing is just based on software, he should've brought a 30k base 2 door(or 38k sas 2 door if you want to have proper tire size) for comparison. Instead, he brought a 43k 2 door badlands, options out to be 56k....

The way the testing was done(purposely not using all the capabilities that the badlands have), it sends the message "a Bronco, even when optioned out to 56k price range, will still not outperform a 46k 4runner"

Feels biased....

AwakeOnABus

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i • Toyota 4Runner Limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What I really want to see is 0-60 w/ a 2.7 Bronco 4 door and a 4runner TRD or Limited or... whatever. I really want Toyota to see a 4runner get embarrassed.

We all know that these are not street racers, but in big cities with heavy interstate traffic, acceleration and torque matter.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the testing is just based on software, he should've brought a 30k base 2 door(or 38k sas 2 door if you want to have proper tire size) for comparison. Instead, he brought a 43k 2 door badlands, options out to be 56k....

The way the testing was done(purposely not using all the capabilities that the badlands have), it sends the message "a Bronco, even when optioned out to 56k price range, will still not outperform a 46k 4runner"

Feels biased....
I agree he should have tested all of each vehicles capabilities and taken them on the roughest rocky trails he could fine.

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP, can’t believe you think testing a 4dr vs. 2dr is apples to apples. The wheelbase is 9” different so unless they used a 4 door Bronco on that same spot you cannot make a definitive conclusion on the difference between trail control vs crawl control.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You need at least a rear locker AND a winch for just in case.
For me it's gonna be a Badlands with front and rear lockers and a winch....
Only problem with that is, Ford designed their winch mount to not work with the lux package and its ACC. So BL, WT & FE owners w/ lux package, pick one of the other (winch or ACC).

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP, can’t believe you think testing a 4dr vs. 2dr is apples to apples. The wheelbase is 9” different so unless they used a 4 door Bronco on that same spot you cannot make a definitive conclusion on the difference between trail control vs crawl control.
Doesn't matter one bit whether it's 2wd, 4wd or 6wd. The Ford computer couldn't figure out how to apply traction. Now IF the Ford computer could have gotten the opposite tire to turn like it's supposed to and it still wouldn't go then we can blame it on a different wb but THAT didn't happen.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only problem with that is, Ford designed their winch mount to not work with the lux package and its ACC. So BL, WT & FE owners w/ lux package, pick one of the other (winch or ACC).
I have been fou rwheeling for 8 years and I don't go anywhere without a winch. I will spring for the High package because I figure the cameras might be helpful

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

They didn't test all of the 4runner's tech just the trail control system on it and on the Bronco. If you watch the video you will see how the Bronco's computer couldn't figure out how to apply the brakes to get the traction needed while the 4runner's computer did what it was supposed too. Crawl control is NOT new technology. Toyota came out with it in 2008. Ford's system needs more work.

What this video tells you is that if you plan on going off road you better not depend upon Ford's trail control system to get you out of a bind. You need at least a rear locker AND a winch for just in case.
For me it's gonna be a Badlands with front and rear lockers and a winch....
Another thought - (Edit) when he started in Mud and Ruts and changed the settings to match from there instead of normal then maybe more apples to apples. IMO, Ford's trail control is really a low speed control (i.e., not traction).

So it's not really an apples to apples feature.
Sponsored