Sponsored

Which options are worth being flexible on to help find a Bronco faster?

zo3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OuterBanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi all - I’ve been struggling to become a part of the Bronco family for a while now (thanks to adm's and Ford's production pace). Especially after the company’s announcement this week, I’ve realized I may have to settle on some options to help speed up my search. Note: this isn't about editing my current order, but instead about trying to find something similar enough to it that's already built, which may mean sacrificing a few options I originally chose. I wanted to ask current Bronco owners which of these options you think I should be more flexible on since there are certain things (hard top, 4 door, OBX) I’m not as willing to part with. And the chance of finding a Bronco with everything I want is looking pretty slim. I've read a lot of separate threads on these options within Bronco6g (esp on 2.7 vs 2.3L engines), but wasn't able to find much on comparing which of these options people would prefer over others.

2.7L engine or will a 2.3L be adequate?

Advanced 4x4

Lux package - or is the heated steering wheel and adaptive CC not worth it?

4.27 and rear locking differential or is the 3.73 axle without the rear locker adequate for most off- roading?

Context: This will be a daily driver in Colorado. Any off-roading will be on jeep trails up to trailheads for hiking in the summer. I’m also concerned about having a car that will handle well in snowy and slick conditions for trips up to the mountains to ski. No plans to tow.

I really appreciate any input here and look forward to joining the Bronco fam, hopefully this year :)
Sponsored

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
-Personally, as a daily driver, I'd be ok with the 2.3. It does what I need.
-Advanced 4x4 is a 'nice-to-have' and not necessary, from another practical standpoint.
-I have high package, so I can't really comment on heated steering wheel/ACC, but I see it as another non necessity.
-Things get questionable here. Only you know your capabilities. I would get the locker, as a safety precaution. If I find myself in a pickle, it's another tool in the Bronco's bag of tricks that gives peace of mind; better to have and not need, than to need and not have....

And don't budge on that hardtop. Went soft top expecting things to be different by now. That's my only regret with my build, and knowing now that I went from both tops to soft and needing $5k+ makes it hurt more lol.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• 2.7L vs 2.3L
    • I don’t think this one matters either way. Buy what you want. The 2.3L does get slightly better fuel economy, if that is a concern.
  • Advanced 4x4
    • This one is a personal opinion sort of thing. Advanced 4x4 is a constrained item, but it isn’t one of the big constraints. I personally view Advanced 4x4 as an optional upgrade. With Advanced 4x4 you get the AWD mode (4-Auto), and a slightly better gear ratio. I can tell you right now I almost never use 4-Auto, even though I live in a part of the country that regularly gets winter weather. Others will disagree with me and view 4-Auto as mandatory.
  • Lux Package
    • Not worth it. It is one of the “deadly sins”, and it also makes aftermarket upgrades difficult since you have to worry about moving/calibrating the ACC sensor. The heating steering wheel is nice I suppose, but so is a pair of gloves. And if it is between a $40 pair of gloves, or missing out on a $2500 discount for my Bronco, I am 1000% percent picking those gloves. You’ve already said you aren’t giving up the hard top, so you aren’t getting the $2500 discount regardless… BUT… the Lux package is roughly $2500 more expensive than the High package, so in many ways my point still stands.
  • 4.27 locking vs 3.73
    • If your form of off-roading is trips to relatively maintained camp areas, trips to the lake, or trips to the trail head on well-known and decently maintained forest service roads… the 3.73 is adequate. Otherwise get the 4.27 locking axle, it is super nice to have.

Last edited:

irishdore

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco Badlands, '20 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is going to be a 100% subjective thread, OP.

You should find what you want, and either scour the used vehicle market for it, or place your order and wait.

The constraints limiting orders are (in no particular order because I'm doing this from memory):
- Tow
- Sasquatch
- MIC Hard Top
- LUX (334A) Package
- Wildtrack
- Manual Transmission
- 2.7L

Just like only you can prevent forest fires, only you know what your wants/desires/must-haves are.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did the dealer/lot hunt 2 weeks ago and ended up buying a Wildtrak when I wasn't originally searching for one.

Do not compromise on: trim, engine, transmission, or hard top. These are things that are a massive pain or impossible to change or add after the fact.

Do compromise on: color, options that can be added after (tow, speakers), getting more things (high>lux, or BD>BL) than you originally wanted if the deal is good.

Sponsored
OP
OP

zo3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OuterBanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is going to be a 100% subjective thread, OP.

You should find what you want, and either scour the used vehicle market for it, or place your order and wait.

The constraints limiting orders are (in no particular order because I'm doing this from memory):
- Tow
- Sasquatch
- MIC Hard Top
- LUX (334A) Package
- Wildtrack
- Manual Transmission
- 2.7L

Just like only you can prevent forest fires, only you know what your wants/desires/must-haves are.
Definitely agree this is subjective ! I understand the constraints on ordering but was more curious in looking for a potential alternative (while waiting for an order) what options people have found weren't as big a deal breakers as they initially thought. i.e. Got the lux but found they never really have use for it. That way I can start to think what options to be more flexible on as I look at the used car market / builds people have abandoned and are up for grabs. Just since it's very unlikely someone will have built the same build as I have ordered and decide not to buy it. Still have my order in, but would like a Bronco by summer and not sure that will happen if I just wait for Ford

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me I was uncompromising on engine, gearing, and lockers. I didn't want to Advanced 4wd, but was forced into it, and as far as packages, less is better than more for me.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did the dealer/lot hunt 2 weeks ago and ended up buying a Wildtrak when I wasn't originally searching for one.

Do not compromise on: trim, engine, transmission, or hard top. These are things that are a massive pain or impossible to change or add after the fact.

Do compromise on: color, options that can be added after (tow, speakers), getting more things (high>lux, or BD>BL) than you originally wanted if the deal is good.
Color would be a hard one for me to compromise on. Some of the colors they have are just blah haha

danane

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone know what options can be added after ordering (but prior to being scheduled) WITHOUT changing your order date, priority code, or other important info?

asking because I just realized aux switches were accidentally left off my build when it was redone/transitioned to MY23, and I really want to request they be added back…but not if itll impact when (if ever) I get scheduled =\

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's the "option" you need to be flexible on, to find a Bronco fast: ;)

Ford Bronco Which options are worth being flexible on to help find a Bronco faster? PileOfMoney

Sponsored

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found a Badlands Sasquatch on the lot with soft top in Minnesota for MSRP.

It has the high package with 2.3L. I was worried about the engine personally but have really grown to love it. It's still quicker than my 6.4L V8 RAM 2500 Power Wagon I traded in.

The soft top isn't...horrid. I did buy the DirtyDog liner for the soft top but I haven't installed it yet. Reviews look good on minimizing sound.

The Lux wasn't worth it. You can install a wireless charger from Mabett. My only complaint is the sound system is lackluster without the Lux but I'll upgrade that in the future.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an Outer Banks (non-SAS) and I have all of the above (2.7, rear locker, 4.27 axle, advanced 4x4) except the Lux. I personally would not want to be without any of the above except for the Lux package. I use the 4A a lot in sugar sand and it is great. I live in Florida, so I can't advise you on driving in snow and heated steering wheels. :cool:

I am really pleasantly surprised at the 2.7 engine and I'm coming from a 5.0 coyote engine.

You might want to consider aux switches. You may want to add accessories later and you might regret not having them. My outer banks was not my order and it doesn't have aux switches, which is a bummer for me.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Missing in this thread (and on B6G, in general) is a…umm…reality check. Sure, there are enthusiasts on this forum who need all the off road hardware they can get, to traverse narrow mountain passes. But overall, I think the discussion on B6G has a way of overinflating the “need” for anything beyond the base options. We work ourselves into a consumerist hysteria masquerading as “preparedness” and it exacerbates constraints.

JohnG

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 dr Basesquatch, 2022 2 dr Base 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went 2.7, 4dr, hard top, Sasquatch, mod bumper. Base. Love it, all the stuff I really care about (power, off-road performance, seating for 5/bigger gas tank, etc) and the ability to upgrade other things (I have stuff to install front camera, already added sliders and tow hitch, can add upgraded sound, leather/heated seats, and so on.)

I would never hold out for any upgraded trim beyond what I got, but I care more about performance than luxury/appearance. If you are opposite, don’t sweat Sasquatch or lockers. It’s comes down to your mission - why are you actually buying the bronco? Figure that out and don’t compromise on Minimum Viable Bronco

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
None of what I have to say is relevant in today’s constraint riddled world. I ordered a 4 door Black Diamond Mid, standard suspension hard top tow package. I bought a four door Big Bend Squatch Mid Hard Top, so I ended up with less than I wanted and more than I wanted and some of what I wanted. I freaking love my Bronco, which turned out to be a unicorn in one week’s time (Squatch HT). Going from a decked Badlands or Wildtrak to a soft top non-Squatch base ‘d be really hard. However, there’s videos of open diff Broncos on good tires doing more’n I thought possible. generally owning a Bronco is way better than not. Get yourself close, and have some fun.
Sponsored