First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does this mount Keep the tire centered and at the same height as stock?
Yes. The OEM tire carrier remains in the same location (the bracket goes underneath it, and uses the same through-holes for the bolts). In the picture you are referring to, I had used the Raptor hinges. You can use your OEM hinges as well with the first gen plate (or with the second gen plate and RTR spacers). I prefer either the spacers or the Raptor hinges and the second gen setup to the first gen setup. Either way, it is a clean install with minimal added weight.

Jolyrogr

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent. Thank you for the info. Wondering also how easy it is to replace the hinges with the Raptor hinges. Are the factory ones painted on to where you have to crack the paint? Or is that not an issue?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent. Thank you for the info. Wondering also how easy it is to replace the hinges with the Raptor hinges. Are the factory ones painted on to where you have to crack the paint? Or is that not an issue?
Mine must have been painted separately...no issues pulling them off and good paint underneath. Raptor hinges come primed but I went with powder coat black.

Krak-A-Pat

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I want a fold down tailgate like my old school bronco.... anyone wanna make me one?
Same here! wish they would have done that.. Btw way where you at on MV? I lived there years ago on Smith hollow.

Sponsored

B A C N O W

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes. The OEM tire carrier remains in the same location (the bracket goes underneath it, and uses the same through-holes for the bolts). In the picture you are referring to, I had used the Raptor hinges. You can use your OEM hinges as well with the first gen plate (or with the second gen plate and RTR spacers). I prefer either the spacers or the Raptor hinges and the second gen setup to the first gen setup. Either way, it is a clean install with minimal added weight.
First, thanks for your awesome contribution to this thread! There’s a lot of solid information there and it will definitely help narrow down the choices when making a selection!

Question: Do you have any experience with (or opinion about) the Turn Offroad Ford Bronco HD Tire Carrier Tailgate Reinforcement Kit (TC3-M1)?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, thanks for your awesome contribution to this thread! There’s a lot of solid information there and it will definitely help narrow down the choices when making a selection!

Question: Do you have any experience with (or opinion about) the Turn Offroad Ford Bronco HD Tire Carrier Tailgate Reinforcement Kit (TC3-M1)?
Hey! I do have opinions...on the plus side, I like tailgate supports that maintain hinge alignment. That prevents hinge binding (and potentially bowing of the tailgate or pillar if hinges were out of alignment). I also like the added structural rigidity an integrated unit offers. On the negative side:

Weight. There is no way that thing doesn't weigh a significant amount...and trying to compensate for weight hanging off the tailgate by adding even more weight seems a little counterproductive. Additionally, all that weight transfers directly to the pillar...which was never designed to support anything other than the max 133 pound tailgate with spare. I would wager that everytime someone swings that heavy loaded gate the pillar bows every so slightly (and over time can weaken). Additionally, if you have a hard top, any movement on that pillar is going to stress the upper corner of the hardtop.

Hinges. IMHO a pressed pin hinge is the most stable...the bolt through the bushing design generally fits sloppy unless the bolt is cranked tight. I had the RTR setup and despite being torqued appropriately there was still movement.

Alignment. The thicker the hinge mounts, the more likely it is that the rear taillight will have to be removed to get good alignment of the tailgate...and for super thick hinges, alignment that is equal between both sides may not even be possible.

I think that if anybody's going to be carrying a crap ton of weight and doesn't want to lose sleep over it with eventual fatiguing of the pillar or the tailgate, or alignment issues, a swing out bumper is the way to go. If somebody is going to be carrying a moderate amount of weight, then the goal should be to get the lightest reinforcement possible to allow for the most amount of weight to be carried without going overboard.

Last edited:

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey Brian, if you have any questions about our design or its capabilities please feel free to reach out! Thank you for considering our product!
Sponsored