Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it’s poor branding on Ford’s part. They should have called it the Escape Sport.
And, yes - I have had a number of people tell me they saw the Bronco around town (and liked it).
The confusion was exactly Ford's intention.

They are trying to cash in on their brand equity. And I can kinda understand why. Slap a Bronco Sport (BS) logo on an escape and raise the starting MSRP by $2000.

See the Edge and Explorer ST: they were essentially the same as the outgoing sport models, but Ford realized they could slap a Ford Performance badge on it and charge $3,000 more.

Same with the Mach-E, it's much easier to put a running horse on it than try to build up the marketing for an (what I understand to be an actually pretty good) electric crossover.
Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wanted a probe back in the day. Instead I got a 1989 notch back LX Mustang 4 banger.

1989 Mustang.jpg

Those 80's and 90's 5.0 mustangs had a real throaty exhaust sound that was amazing. Not sure if the 4 cylinder was that way. I'm sure the Stang over the Probe was a good decision. :)

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The confusion was exactly Ford's intention.

They are trying to cash in on their brand equity. And I can kinda understand why. Slap a Bronco Sport (BS) logo on an escape and raise the starting MSRP by $2000.

See the Edge and Explorer ST: they were essentially the same as the outgoing sport models, but Ford realized they could slap a Ford Performance badge on it and charge $3,000 more.

Same with the Mach-E, it's much easier to put a running horse on it than try to build up the marketing for an (what I understand to be an actually pretty good) electric crossover.
Agreed, but there can also be some peril messing with a brand. In terms of diluting the brand image and loss of equity.

Case in point, and this is from a while ago, was the Disney desire to market films of a more adult nature in terms of violence. Disney released a film called "The Black Hole", one of if not their first PG rated films, in which a murderous robot kills people. It wasn't receive well in some circles, and while gaining customers in one demographic, risked losing customers in another demographic who had viewed Disney as more of a wholesome family oriented film brand.

A few years later Disney created a subsidiary called Touchstone, under which they marketed the more adult oriented films, so as not to risk damage to the Disney brand image.

That brings me to something like the Mustang. My first car was a beat up old 1965 Mustang. When I think "Mustang", it's not an SUV. That's a hard sell.

I don't care if Ford calls an SUV a Mustang, doesn't mean I have to align with a corporation's desire. When people visit me in Chigacoland, I take them to visit the Sears Tower. Not the "what you talkin 'bout Willis Tower", or whatever company has their name attached to it these days, lol.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it’s poor branding on Ford’s part. They should have called it the Escape Sport.
And, yes - I have had a number of people tell me they saw the Bronco around town (and liked it).
Giving two distinctly-different products the same name is always marketing idiocy.

(Also see: Mustang Mach-E)

B Wants A Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am still not convinced that the Bronco Sport was not supposed to be the return of the Bronco. Similar to what Chevy did with the Blazer. Then somebody with some sense stepped in and steered the design team in the right direction but also saw the benefit of keeping the smaller suv. This would explain why the Sport was so far ahead of the Bronco in design and production. Makes no other sense as to why you would release the Sport in front of the Flagship.
For what it’s worth, there is a podcast called ‘Bring Back Bronco’ about how the Bronco came back. I don’t generally listen to podcasts, but you know, this was about Bronco so...

Sponsored

RiotSquirrel

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Florida (The pines part, not the palms part)
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bobber, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It just seems that every time somebody on here gives a reason why they "have" to have a 4-door it involves dogs and/or children.
aren't dogs and/or children the perfect size to squeeze into the smaller 2-door back seat? that was the joke i always made about the extended cab pickup back seats - "yeah, there's a 'back seat,' but it's really just for the dogs."

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@HTX1811, now do you still have the notchback? Those are making a comeback these days! It would make a fun toy.
I miss my notchbacks. Should have never sold the 91.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Giving two distinctly-different products the same name is always marketing idiocy.

(Also see: Mustang Mach-E)
It's like going to McDonald's. There are so many variations of a hamburger, I can't figure out what to order, so always get the basic burger instead of something more fancy.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually had this conversation the other day with a family friend.

She actually brought it up out of the blue at lunch (she knows I like cars) and said something along the lines of "I heard about the new Bronco, I like them! I then told her I ordered one, and was mentioning how I could take the doors and roof off and she was like "oh I didn't realize you could do that". And after more conversation, I realized she was talking about the Sport.

It'll make more sense to people once the big one is on the road.

Until then, Ford gets free publicity of everyone saying "hey, I saw a new Bronco on the road!" And while technically they're right, as it is a Bronco, but it's not the Bronco.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

aren't dogs and/or children the perfect size to squeeze into the smaller 2-door back seat? that was the joke i always made about the extended cab pickup back seats - "yeah, there's a 'back seat,' but it's really just for the dogs."
I had an extended-cab Dakota that had SIX seat belts. The 2-door Bronco has tons more room for passengers than that Dakota. 😁

Sponsored

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish the big brother had some of the little bro's party tricks.

Like a usable bottle opener, under seat storage and rubberized 2nd row seat backs.
The 4-door has the bottle opener in the back at least.
Hopefully the rubberized seat backs find their way into the options list...

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or the Escape EXTREME!!

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know this is gonna sound weird, but every now and then, mostly at night, a Renegade at some distance will fool me into thinking it's a wrangler. The lights and head-on profile are very similar (obviously on purpose). But when you really put the two side-by-side, it's a different story.

I think things will go the same way with the Sport and the actual Bronco. Once you get the real ones on the road, people won't confuse them so much. And for the time being there's no harm in selling boatloads of Sports lol

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard at least three times "so...this guy has a Bronco.." and I have to respond.."no they don't".
Sponsored