Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I want a newer version of my 72 so I’m staying 2dr Base Camp all the way. Adding roof rack, keypad entry, floor liners, and aux switches. Probably going to upsize tires to 265/75/16 right away and look at some katzkin’s. Maybe add headliner. Can’t decide between AMB or Carbon but leaning towards Carbon. Might add modular bumper, but it’s off the list for now.
Sponsored

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Base is a great deal, unless your hung up on the manual, the 2.7 is worth every penny IMO.

I was at Base until my wife got involved. LOL

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've done some searching...and decided to start a thread for those that are getting a non-Squatch Base and their reasoning!

I'm still waffling a touch....all my builds are 4 door:

1) Base 2.3 with mud flaps, aux switches and floor liners in Velocity Blue,

2) Base 2.3 with Squatch, aux switches and floor liners in Velocity Blue.

I know I said non-Squatch, but I'd like to here other peoples logic in a base Base to see if I'm missing any other points to consider.

Here is my thinking.....Sasquatch is cool, no doubt. However, I live in southwest Ohio, and don't have a plethora of off-roading areas. There are some and they will be visited, but it's not my primary use for the Bronco. I think of it more as convertible 4x4 that gives me a relative open air feel as my motorcycles used to. It will also be for road trips (a couple trips per year to the Mobile/Gulf Shores areas and as a volleyball taxi for the youngest to places like Gatlinburg and Louisville and Indianapolis). I also only really want and need air, heat and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Heated seats would be cool, but that can be solved aftermarket for far less than the jump to Big Bend with the Mid package. My driving style would also play better with LSD's and not lockers, but even the open diffs with traction control should be worlds better than my 2006 F150. I think I'd rather set it up for Rally or Rally Raid type stuff then boulders and mud. It'll probably also end up towing a small camper and I'd rather the center of gravity down a little bit. Plus I think a Base pays better homage to the Gen1 Broncos.

Let's hear yours!!

Wait, I thought I was the only one doing non squatch...

I am going this route as this will be replacing my current DD. I currently have a 25ish minute commute both to & from work 5 says a week so squatch just doesn't make sense on the highways. I will be doing some off roading but no rock crawling. I want something 4x4 for the iowa winters as well.

P.S. Our set-ups are very similar I'm just going with the 2.7L, switches, mud flaps, floor liners, sound deadening, & Velocity blue.
Ford Bronco Who is going for a non-Squatch Base? Screenshot_20201110-210423_Chrome

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What part of Southwest Ohio are you from? I'm north of Cincinnati in Hamilton Township. I'm going base as well. But I really want the Squatch. It just looks to good to pass up and my wife is from Tennessee so we plan on using it on trails down there.
West Chester....I'd like to make it down to Windrock and Wildcat.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like the Base will be perfect for what you're using it for. You can always add larger tires and different wheels down the road if you want. Since you're not going to be doing much off roading it would be a waste of $5K to add the SAS.

I'm going Base SAS with a few other extras mostly for the lockers. I don't need 35's but the lockers,Bilsteins and gearing all from the factory with a warrantee is a huge plus. We have a lot of places out here in the desert to off road and then being close to UT and CO we will have some fun trips with it. Plus it helps that the 2 dr looks bad ass with the SAS! ?
And that's the thing.....Sasquatch seems to be such a good deal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My first pick is to go manual non-Squatch 4 door base, AMB, +/- floor liners. I'm going to add Katzkin with heat and might paint the rims black. That's it. For me, it's the open air experience, driving on the beach, and camping. The only thing that might push me up to the Big Bend at this point is the ability to easily add a rear locker in the future.
Only reason I've flirted with a BB is the factory locker with 4.27 gearing and the little bigger tires.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are you really paying almost $5k to go from base 2D to base 4D ? it's actually more than $5k if you consider the standard hardop on 2D. for that.
for that much you can get another car!
Yep....need and want the room and the 4 doors. A 2 door was never really in the running.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Base is a great deal, unless your hung up on the manual, the 2.7 is worth every penny IMO.

I was at Base until my wife got involved. LOL
That's my last hangup, do I go with the 2.7? I'm not going any bigger that the 255/75/17 (aka the Big Bend tire), but a touch worried about the 3.73 gearing.

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone done any mockups (based on an actual photo, not CG) of a Base outfitted with 265/75-16 AT tires?
Something like this:
Ford Bronco Who is going for a non-Squatch Base? 1607083892861

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone done any mockups (based on an actual photo, not CG) of a Base outfitted with 265/75-16 AT tires?
The closest that I know of would be pics of a non-Squatch Black Diamond with 265/70/17. Same rough total diameter and circumference but a little sidewall difference.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me, it's the front diff! I want that stronger front diff. I'm going base 4dr Mansquatch, Iconic Silver. I wish I could get the black steelies.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m starting to think about going base now. No accessories added so I can say I bought a Bronco for under $30k? it would be 2dr 7 speed with 0 options added for the true bronco experience.

my other build is BL with no options so I can get the manual trans with front and rear lockers but the issue is I don’t really care about all the other upgrades it gives me other than the MGV seats would be nice to have when the bronco is all muddy inside. But not sure if it justifies the $14k price jump to get both lockers and MGV for my needs.
One thing that I’m worried about is the open diffs and how they will handle deep snow or lots of mud... I wish they would have put a LSD in there or something on base because now we have to assume the GOAT modes are worth a shit. We have no proof that the GOAT modes are good since ford has not let anyone drive the new bronco off road with a base model. I will say base non squatch look the most retro which is cool.

Phosvitin

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota matrix and honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Once I realized I couldn't do manual with mid package in BB or BD I moved to base camp. I want two door manual velocity blue but I can't decide on sasquatch or not. I live in Wisconsin and this would be my daily driver. I don't want the big tires or fender flares. But for the value I wonder if it's worth getting the lockers and then immediately downsizing the wheels? In case I ever want to do locker required off roading one day or I get stuck in some snow drift? I am so torn. Help please? How good is a 4x4 with open diffs for getting out of snow or driving in sand?

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Once I realized I couldn't do manual with mid package in BB or BD I moved to base camp. I want two door manual velocity blue but I can't decide on sasquatch or not. I live in Wisconsin and this would be my daily driver. I don't want the big tires or fender flares. But for the value I wonder if it's worth getting the lockers and then immediately downsizing the wheels? In case I ever want to do locker required off roading one day or I get stuck in some snow drift? I am so torn. Help please? How good is a 4x4 with open diffs for getting out of snow or driving in sand?
This video is pretty revealing. The 4WD, open diff, Traction Control active seems to do OK:

Seant

Base
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only reason I've flirted with a BB is the factory locker with 4.27 gearing and the little bigger tires.
Same camp, BB is a big jump in price from Base, it basically pays for SAS package. But again SAS package is overkill for most of us and I come from number of 4X4 Toyotas with lockers. Never used it and I think people don't quite understand the front axle/lockers and what Ford is trying to achieve.

If you look at the lineup, BB and OB are DD models, rest can be tanks. The non-locker front axel is still very robust.

The choice is do you want an offroad tourer (99.9999%) or a rock crawler. If you want a rock crawler then SAS is a steal.

The key to offroad vehicle is its 4X4 components and system, lockers are only used when stopped or crawl speed at last resort for better grip and control.

Personally my top pick has been:
2D Base with SAS (pref with manual but Auto you get advanced with SAS)
2D Base no SAS (put alloy or 17" steelies and 265s)
4D Base non SAS (get the Auto, wished they had manual)
2D BB with rear lock
4D BB with rear lock and hard top
2D Black Diamond

But ultimately its for fun and to experience something like a modern land rover, so the base as is, is still very attractive...
Sponsored