Sponsored

Who should I blame for these POS tires on my new Bronco? Goodyear Ford or both?

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally agree. I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Day 3. The Ridge Grapplers ride and look great.
Sponsored

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I actually like them BECAUSE they throw rocks. I just installed front mud flaps to protect my vehicle, but left the rears off so the rocks hit people who tailgate me.

I think driving a yellow Bronco just seems to bring out the a-hole in some people, in that they love to tailgate me because they hate loud colors or something. Anyhow, I do notice how people back-off after a minute or so of tailgating me. Tailgate me, get rock chips. Simple. I love these tires: Light, C-load, even wear, and they throw rocks.

Joker352

Big Bend
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I knew of this issue before I ever took delivery so the first mod I ordered up were some weathertech mudflaps. Glad I optioned the step in my build too cause in that first week waiting for the flaps I heard a few rock strikes on the underside of the steps. Weathertech flaps installed in 30 min or less, easy. My doors have been spared.

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford went with these tires because they are 30 lbs. lighter then any other All terrain tire and thus should get better mileage as weight drops mileage.

The thread pattern has slightly more gap then an all terrain as its a Max Traction tire and less gap than a mud terrian. That gab just happens to be perfect for picking up gravel.

They do better than expected for there intended purpose, but I think when I replace them I want 2 more ply's.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Had KO2’s from day one, just turned 9000mi, average mileage since new is 22.1. I’ve gotten 23-24 on individual trips, 2.7L/4.27. I always drive downhill though😎

B82A8A33-1E76-4CA9-8D7B-C273D60E9FA3.jpeg
lol you’re the second guy here getting 23+ mpg along with @mpeugeot

I think I bitched too much about being stuck on ice mountain so Mike Levine personally flashed my ECU to knock off a few mpgs 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We seem to forget our own responsibility in this sometimes and get the victim stance (I know, I will get flipped some crap for this)... I am not in love with the tires, however, if I saw these tires, had been reading the forums and I had to drive on a Gravel Road daily, I would surely have worked with the dealer prior to delivery to change them as part of my deal. Where you're at (OP) I would upgrade the tires and put these out for sale as take offs. they'll get snatched up quickly if priced fairly, especially if they're low miles! Also - RockBlokz mud flaps have protected my rig nicely from just this coming off the trails.
No crap, but as you say everyone wants to be the victim now days. I can't believe this thread now has 8 pages.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think they should go to their local rep and have the road commission put gravel on the road with larger stones. Problem solved.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Blame Canada

68 galaxie

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 galaxie /2017 f450 /2021 f150 / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The GY on my SAS really suck! I live down on the farm in Iowa and I have 3/4 mile of gravel road I picked new Bronco up and drove home. These pictures are from less than one mile on gravel road; each tire has over 100 rocks stuck in the tread. The tires are terrible this should not happen; this has to be bad engineering in tread design. WHO SHOULD I BLAME FOR THESE POS TIRES ON MY NEW BRONCO? GOODYEAR? FORD? OR BOTH?

I have had many F150 and SUV have used BFG, Falken, NItto, Bridgestone and none of these tires would pickup rocks. Yes maybe 1 or 2 or a few but not hundreds of rocks! Ford did you drive pre production Broncos on gravel with these tires? If you did and approved these tires you better get your heads examined!

Ford please send me a check now so I can replace them. Message me I will give you my address to send check to.

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
I feel your pain. I see you have mud flaps a must or paint chip’s everywhere.. get one of those rocks flying off at 70mph it sounds like a shot.

Leadville

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The commercial-vehicle tire guy I found (I was lucky!) in Wendover, UT, said the GY Territory is an 8-ply tire. "You need 10 or 11," he said. "12 if you can find one."

Thoughts?
Also, thoughts on his advice to air down on high-gravel roads? He definitely knows semis, but I don't know about 4x4s and OHVs.
He was close. The factory Goodyear Territory 315/70R17 are only 6-ply (aka C-load). During Bronco development Ford made an arrangement with GY to supply them without the "Wrangler" label, cause obvious competition with Jeep

Here in Southwest Utah most run 8 or 10-ply (D-load or E-load)
The trouble with 12-ply (F-load) is they're more stiff - they don't air-down as well, and start cupping. Yes you definitely wanna air-down for rocky desert roads - maybe 25 to 30 psi or sometimes less

35 x 12.5 x R17 have good 10-ply options

37 x 12.5 x R17 have good 8-ply options. With the taller sidewalls 37's absorb the bumps better and air-down easier

As someone mentioned the Goodyear DuraTrac 35x12.50R17 is decent choice. But it's very very different from the factory Goodyears. The DuraTrac is E-load (10-ply), totally different tread pattern, 34.8 inch spec, and much heavier - 68 lbs versus 52

When I say "the factory Goodyears are pathetic", I'm talking about off-roading in rocky desert areas. They may be fine in snow or wet, but that isn’t the usual here. And this thread is about driving on gravel/rocks

Sponsored

Krimzun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP/JEEP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The GY on my SAS really suck! I live down on the farm in Iowa and I have 3/4 mile of gravel road I picked new Bronco up and drove home. These pictures are from less than one mile on gravel road; each tire has over 100 rocks stuck in the tread. The tires are terrible this should not happen; this has to be bad engineering in tread design. WHO SHOULD I BLAME FOR THESE POS TIRES ON MY NEW BRONCO? GOODYEAR? FORD? OR BOTH?

I have had many F150 and SUV have used BFG, Falken, NItto, Bridgestone and none of these tires would pickup rocks. Yes maybe 1 or 2 or a few but not hundreds of rocks! Ford did you drive pre production Broncos on gravel with these tires? If you did and approved these tires you better get your heads examined!

Ford please send me a check now so I can replace them. Message me I will give you my address to send check to.

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
You can always name your Bronco... Rock Collector..?

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I actually like them BECAUSE they throw rocks. I just installed front mud flaps to protect my vehicle, but left the rears off so the rocks hit people who tailgate me.

I think driving a yellow Bronco just seems to bring out the a-hole in some people, in that they love to tailgate me because they hate loud colors or something. Anyhow, I do notice how people back-off after a minute or so of tailgating me. Tailgate me, get rock chips. Simple. I love these tires: Light, C-load, even wear, and they throw rocks.
I love these tires and they throw rocks; never heard that one before.

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think they should go to their local rep and have the road commission put gravel on the road with larger stones. Problem solved.
I wish I could get this done it would help. My county used to use old fashion gravel but went to more of a white rock a number of years ago and it has been a pain in the butt.

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
UPDATE: The pictures I took above were from the first day I owned my Bronco. The 4 tires easily had 500 to 700 rocks and pebbles in them. It was crazy the rocks flying when I got to the highway.
Several days it was very cold and the gravel road was damp and frosty and I think that combination of things made it exceptionally bad for picking up rocks.

Today was 40 plus degrees and although it picked up some rocks; I counted approximately 150-200. Although this is still not good it is way better than the first couple of days. I can maybe live with this.

I also put cheap mud flaps on front to save my sides. I ordered some IAG Performance one from amazon so should see them in a few days.

I just wanted to update everyone. Thanks
Sponsored