First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hope they don't go package crazy, personally sense I am just gonna lift it and change the tires and live in the desert anyway I just want the base model but don't want the crappy entertainment screen that usually is in base model vehicles, and LED headlights/taillights
Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I added a superduty backup camera to my 2010 F150 after I bought it used. The cab harness didn't have the wires for the camera, the plug for the rear view mirror is different, and the body harness didn't have the camera or power wires to the tailgate in it. I also had to buy a new rear view mirror that had the auto dim, compass, sync microphone in it as well as the LCD display. I had to buy molex connectors online and make an adapter to change the factory 10 pin cab harness to 16 pin for the new rear view mirror. It was a shit ton of work that I wouldn't do today, and I couldn't do if I hadn't worked in electronics.

When I was in high school, I worked for Alcoa Fujikura Ltd and built wiring harnesses for semis, buses, and ford superduties. The dash harness for a superduty had over 300 circuits in it in the late 1990s (14401). It took two high school students getting paid $7/hour, two hours to build one. Back then the plant I was at was the last in the country. All we did were special order harnesses. That plant is long gone now. I believe most harnesses come from mexico and china. All the canbus smarts also make firmware changes necessary to get half the accessories to work right too. I think everything is too complicated in the name of regulation and laziness. The typical consumer is a pretty non-driving lazy person, though.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Packages are to save you money, Dearest Customer!
Originally, that was true in the late Seventies. Take power door locks and power windows. both were not standard equipment except on some top trims. You could order PWs without PLs and vice versa. Then they figured that if they bundled them together, they could save money overall by combining the wiring harnesses, cutting seconds off of the build time. So was born the "Convenience package" FF to today, and option groups make less and less sense, and are grouped together largely for profit.want CarPlay? gotta jump to an XLTor higher and get ~$3000 of other stuff that with a little effort on your part you can get on Amazon or eBay for a fraction of the cost. $400 heated seats for $68; install under the seat covering, variable heat just like factory. GPS, Sirius, sunroof, LED lighting I can get as I go. On my 2018 Escape I have most of the "Nanny-tronics" shut off that I can- Pre-collision braking, lane keeping, intelligent cruise, rain sensing wipers auto high beams, Auto Start/Stop off-off-off-off-off. None operate the way that is intended in most situations. I'll hopefully order out my Bronco, but if I have to jump $3000 to get a $100 option, I may have to wait until someone's $700/mo Lariat gets repo'd and pick it up at auction for an affordable price.
Ford Bronco Who'd wanna see Ala Carte Options? 1

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why do people dislike auto stop-start so much anyway?
For me, It's tech for tech's sake. The amount of fuel saved at a stop is offset partially or totally by the extra fuel used to restart. I don't have any empirical data, but I wonder how much fuel is actually saved over the life of the vehicle, 2 gallons? 5? 10?. while the car is stopped, with both seat heaters, rear defrost, headlights, turn signal on, how much extra fuel is needed to turn the alternator to recharge the battery? Seems likely they offset. How much more carbon and other pollutants are emitted at the factory level to make higher capacity batteries and starters that will likely have shorter service lives? Besides, the little shudder when it starts and stops is annoying.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

For me, It's tech for tech's sake. The amount of fuel saved at a stop is offset partially or totally by the extra fuel used to restart. I don't have any empirical data, but I wonder how much fuel is actually saved over the life of the vehicle, 2 gallons? 5? 10?. while the car is stopped, with both seat heaters, rear defrost, headlights, turn signal on, how much extra fuel is needed to turn the alternator to recharge the battery? Seems likely they offset. How much more carbon and other pollutants are emitted at the factory level to make higher capacity batteries and starters that will likely have shorter service lives? Besides, the little shudder when it starts and stops is annoying.
That sounds mostly like conjecture to me.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
from an in-use environmental standpoint, at least for the first 100-200k miles, it makes sense. But for long term use of the vehicle, they'll be more environmentally disastrous than a design NOT having it, simply due to needing to be replaced. And upkeep costs for secondary owners (or third or fourth or whatever poor sod gets stuck with it) will be exceptional.

I understand it, but I would really prefer the option to have it off. For good.

and what about when you have other issues? especially on a DI engine. A DI engine will only start if you have sufficient oil pressure, so what happens when you have a leaking o-ring around an injector? The repair costs about 2k. It can be lived with for some time (I did on my 6.0 for about 2 years). But it had to have long cooldown periods between restarts. hours. Even when it just started it was a hard crank when hot. So if I had this silly start/stop feature, it would have been significantly costlier because of this unrelated feature.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know, the 6.0 had a host of issues, some minor, some major, some overlooked, some just finicky....she is a fickle beast the 6.0. I don't think that I have ever seen an engine so sensitive to having to stay on top of routine maintenance as that one. I am so absolutely furious at my local Ford dealership for the repairs I paid them for earlier this year that they in no way accomplished. One of the reasons that I've told you I am likely to buy a truck from you because All Star Ford in Prairieville can go to hell. $3500 in repairs when I told them what the problem was, and they instead lied and did something else, and claimed it passed the test they were asked to check over. Then when I ran the test for them and showed that it was still broke because they fixed the wrong shit they refused to look at the vehicle without entering it in as a new service and charging ANOTHER $2500 to work on. So fuck them with a hot poker.

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd like to build mine piece by piece. like the way Porsche does it. People meme on them because you can buy a $100k 911 and add $60k in options, but you can make it exactly how you want it. Down to the stitching color on your seatbelts.

I'm not big on tech in vehicles. I'll never use it. No interest in start/stop, lane change, early warning yada yada. Don't want it. I'd like performance options(suspension/wheels/tires, etc). And a roof rack for the kayak. And maybe led highlights if they're a big improvement over halogen. And a radio with an aux in. I'll be good.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd like to build mine piece by piece. like the way Porsche does it. People meme on them because you can buy a $100k 911 and add $60k in options, but you can make it exactly how you want it. Down to the stitching color on your seatbelts.

I'm not big on tech in vehicles. I'll never use it. No interest in start/stop, lane change, early warning yada yada. Don't want it. I'd like performance options(suspension/wheels/tires, etc). And a roof rack for the kayak. And maybe led highlights if they're a big improvement over halogen. And a radio with an aux in. I'll be good.
Exactly, that's what's cool about Porsches, ala carte everything if you don't wanna bundle

Only Tech I really want is Navi, as I plan on going on Roadtrip's with it, MyColor as I like ambiance and if you can change the gauge color, even better and Factory LED lighting, so there's $$$ saved for other parts

Other than that, as you said, performance!
Sponsored