Sponsored

Why Doesn't Ford use 35" KO2s on Sasquatch instead of Goodyears?

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
🤡 Oh, the irony to use that as a reason why the KO2 "sux" in a response defending the GY tire. You do realize that the GY has only a 2-ply sidewall?

Just look to the Off-Roadeo location in Texas where they have a hill named Goodyear Hill after all the tires it is has claimed due to the sidewall getting gashed. Stop at the bottom of Texas Two-Step and see the mound of rubber mulch as the tread blocks flake off.
I do agree both have lighter sidewalls than most but they are not the same, the KO2 is in a league of its own so much so the sidewalls are a huge negative, while the GY seems to have hit the right balance.

Let me put it this way, I will never own another set of KO2's but just paid good money for a new set of the GY's to be delivered to my house.

Ford Bronco Why Doesn't Ford use 35" KO2s on Sasquatch instead of Goodyears? Untitled
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is an aside question, do you we think once the KO2s are out of production in the next year or so that the Badlands will come with KO3 or something else ?

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Similar question in theory as I assume Ford will keep getting the exact same tire size from BFG for the f150 Raptor.
So basically back to the original question, if Ford’s already getting the exact same tire from BFG for the F150 Raptor, will they put it on the Bronco?
Maybe Ford Performance controls a different bucket of money and holds the contract with BFG. So the non-Ford Performance branded vehicles end up getting the cheapest available option.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm the original poster - I don't think any of the responses really got to what I was trying to understand. You would think that Black Diamond/Badlands and most of the others would market towards those at least interested in some off-road use regardless of SAS package or not - the choice to use two different manufacturers seems odd to me for the same essential users. If weight is an issue for SAS, it would be for non-SAS (especially with the 2.3l). The question is - they went with BFG for the 33 - but not for the 35. The same question could be for why they didn't just go with Goodyear for both 33 and 35. Having two different suppliers isn't a trivial decision for a manufacturer and there must be a good reason.

I've been quite pleased with my KO2s both on road and off (and like the look) but I have some concerns about how heavy they would be with my non-SAS Badlands gear ratio when I move up to 35s. Before I buy takeoff Territories I wanted to better understand the trade-offs. I don't want to lose performance by moving to the Goodyear, but I would have expected Ford to have made that decision on SAS based on performance reasons.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
........ I would have expected Ford to have made that decision on SAS based on performance reasons.
Nope, not at all. 95% of all these type SUVs see mall and soccer field service only. When it comes to these type vehicle offerings, a manufactuer uses the least 'hardcore' option they can and still call it for off road use because they know the actual use the product will see. And, of course, weight and cost are factors in the equation.

I promise you the traction performace difference you see between the two, KO2 and territory, is zero.

Sponsored

Carl Sagan

Wildtrak
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco WIldtrak HOSS 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the goodyear is a great tire. Weighs considerably less than the K02. I have never had a bad experience off road or on road with my goodyears. I also have 19000 miles and barely any wear. I feel like I will get 50000 miles out of these tires. Nothing wrong with K02 as it is a great tire as well, but I don't see the value in spending more money on the K02 unless you have worn through the goodyears. I think I will go with the same tires when mine are toast.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think the goodyear is a great tire. Weighs considerably less than the K02. I have never had a bad experience off road or on road with my goodyears. I also have 19000 miles and barely any wear. I feel like I will get 50000 miles out of these tires. Nothing wrong with K02 as it is a great tire as well, but I don't see the value in spending more money on the K02 unless you have worn through the goodyears. I think I will go with the same tires when mine are toast.
I'm at 43K on mine and there's still a ton of tread left, even after running them for a while at the overinflated PSI that Ford recommends (32PSI seems to be ideal for tread wear). For sure I'll get 50K, looking like possibly 60K. I often leave some of that rubber at stop lights and the occasional chunk on the trail, so having them hit 30K without looking like drag slicks was already impressive to me. Think I got 33K on the one set of KO2's that I bought for my JK before the bald spots failed inspection, and that horrid little minivan engine wasn't even able to leave rubber at stop lights. I'm so glad it exploded and got what it deserved :cautious:

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still have 33 KO2s - looking to move up to 35s when they wear. What about the sidewall strength? With the non-SAS gear ratio, I'm wondering if 35 territories might be somewhat equivalent to the 33 KO2s from a weight perspective. I do a fair amount of rock crawling, hence the desire to get 35s. But, it's my daily driver, so I want the comfort (and I think KO2s look nicer, but that's trivial). I have Wildpeaks on my son's jeep but they're heavy and don't handle great.

Last edited:

Carl Sagan

Wildtrak
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm at 43K on mine and there's still a ton of tread left, even after running them for a while at the overinflated PSI that Ford recommends (32PSI seems to be ideal for tread wear). For sure I'll get 50K, looking like possibly 60K. I often leave some of that rubber at stop lights and the occasional chunk on the trail, so having them hit 30K without looking like drag slicks was already impressive to me. Think I got 33K on the one set of KO2's that I bought for my JK before the bald spots failed inspection, and that horrid little minivan engine wasn't even able to leave rubber at stop lights. I'm so glad it exploded and got what it deserved :cautious:
I love hearing this from you! That is great news on the tire tread. I am impressed with the wear for sure. Thank you for letting me know your experience.

Carl Sagan

Wildtrak
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I still have 33 KO2s - looking to move up to 35s when they wear. What about the sidewall strength? With the non-SAS gear ratio, I'm wondering if 35 territories might be somewhat equivalent to the 33 KO2s from a weight perspective. I do a fair amount of rock crawling, hence the desire to get 35s. But, it's my daily driver, so I want the comfort (and I think KO2s look nicer, but that's trivial). I have Wildpeaks on my son's jeep but they're heavy and don't handle great.
The sidewall strength seems on par with the K02. At least with my experience, I have had no issues with my goodyears offroad and rock crawling. Check out the specs at the tirerack website. They have great comparable options to check out. The weight of your K02 33s are 51lbs and the goodyear 35s are 52lbs. Very comparable. You wont notice any difference in loss of performance (acceleration and gas mileage with such a little difference). The K02 35s weigh in at 62lbs a piece. That is a big difference for acceleration and gas mileage.

Sponsored

Red Sox 4Life

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette, Lexus GS350, Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great question. I think everyone would understand a small price increase to get better tires form the factory. Most folks replace them anyway.
I saw your video on the TOYO Open Country RT Trail and then subscribed. I'll be getting those when I have the funds. First up will be mudflaps and PPF to protect the sides.

UniBronc

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F550, 12 F550, 13 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
It would have been nice if they came with the BFG's as I dumped the Goodyear's for the KO2's. I've been very happy with the KO2. Think they are a lot quieter.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw your video on the TOYO Open Country RT Trail and then subscribed. I'll be getting those when I have the funds. First up will be mudflaps and PPF to protect the sides.
Thank You! As of now, I'll be sticking with the new Toyo's in the future. I'll keep the tire updates coming in the future. Glad the video helped you out!

Broncobren

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WT High Pkg MIC Mod Bumper
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agree 100%. The Goodyears are an excellent tire. Way lighter than others. My only gripe is they throw rocks!

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Humble brag. I just put 37” MT Baja Boss ATs on my Bronco and finally got to off-road them this weekend. They perform so freaking good. Great road manners too. Even my wife gave the tires compliments after we tackled several black diamond runs and easily handled them. I love these tires so far.
This looks good. I'm interested to hear more about this setup. Are these still 17" wheels? offset? It doesn't look like a lift; are they just stuffed under the stock suspension? Rubbing?

What gearing is your rear end and any observations on low end with the 37s? Is it Sas or MT (4.7)?
Thanks.
Sponsored