Sponsored

Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Those are City tires. Big metal rim, with less black rubber sidewall = city looking tires. Look at the rim to black rubber ratio on any tricked-out fartbox car that's blasting crappy rap music. You will see a huge shiny metal rim and about an inch of sidewall. They're very responsive for cornering but would get a flat instantly if taken off-road. They're uncomfortable over rough pavement.

Smaller metal rim with huge black rubber sidewall = bouncy off road tires. You can left half the air out of them for a softer ride when off road. Not so good at tight cornering but can bounce over proverbial boulders.

In between = all purpose "stock" tires. Boring all around. That's what's on my Edge, which is basically a taller station wagon.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is the
What he said.

...also it’s incredibly annoying for the aftermarket world because the entire tire industry has E Load rated tires if you want 33 and up on an 18” rim. Why? Because they are mostly pick up trucks that have 18” rims and there’s a demand for heavier loads. Most off roader rigs have 17” rims and the tire options are endless in that size.
This is the most informative response. +1 to you.

FWIW, from experience: E rated tires have stiff sidewalls, ride rougher, and have minds of their own on the highway unless your driving a loaded porker.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Out of all the disparagements... 2 or 3 of the replies were informative. I'd love to see a lot in two years of just how much off road miles there are. I admit that I'll be 99% on, and even off will be farm or ranch fields. I like BD for the MGV, and I'm not tempted to spend 5 more to get to lux since I can't have it...

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

this has been incredibly frustrating when looking for tire options- i think i found one model that would work that wasn't heavy duty
What tire was is? Upgrading the tires on my OBX will be my first change once I get my Bronco.

Bosshog

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 silverado 3500 duramax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered the obx because I liked the roast with onyx leather. Secondly, I wanted painted exterior parts, which in my mind looks better than the mic fenders over time( due to sun fading). I will be putting a lift, wheels and tires on it, 35s and 18s on a 3+ inch lift, ( which will be less expensive than a squatch package) will be plenty for wheeling up here in Oregon.
Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? 20210130_171544_HDR

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's cuz most of those customers have admitted to themselves they will be more onroad than off .... offroading will not involve extreme rock crawling or high speed desert runs ... but the capability will be there cuz bottom line all the Bronco trims are decent offroaders
I can't disagree with that. I went with the Sahara trim because I knew it would be more capable off road than I'll ever be, and the interior with all the do dads makes it quite comfortable. So it fills two requirements for me, light to medium off roading, and long road trips. It's done both, and done great. I'll be using my Bronco in the same manner, so Outer Banks it is.

BTW, the only thing I don't like on either is the 18" wheels. But, with a good set of AT's the Bronco will suit me fine.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Those are City tires. Big metal rim, with less black rubber sidewall = city looking tires. Look at the rim to black rubber ratio on any tricked-out fartbox car that's blasting crappy rap music. You will see a huge shiny metal rim and about an inch of sidewall. They're very responsive for cornering but would get a flat instantly if taken off-road. They're uncomfortable over rough pavement.

Smaller metal rim with huge black rubber sidewall = bouncy off road tires. You can left half the air out of them for a softer ride when off road. Not so good at tight cornering but can bounce over proverbial boulders.

In between = all purpose "stock" tires. Boring all around. That's what's on my Edge, which is basically a taller station wagon.
I don't know sir, but that's a lot of sidewall right there. They are quite capable for light to medium off roading. Now, I'm not going to try rock crawling or mud bogging with them, but they have never left me wanting more the way I use them.

Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? 100_4762.JPG

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Although i wish it did have 17's, I get why it doesn't. I tend to see this as more of a beach lifestyle car and I'm guessing Ford does as well. I saw a stat a few years ago stating that 75% of SOBX real estate was owned by people that actually live in Raleigh, NC. So people in the area tend to have one car that they drive 2 hours (on open highway) to the beach every weekend. That means lots of people in the area want a car that can handle handle Eastern NC lifestyle... (hunting, boating, fishing, sand, dogs, kids, etc.) but still cruise four hours a week at 90 MPH to and from the destination. Rock crawling is virtually non-existent east of the mountains. I think Ford hit that demographic pretty well although I'd still like to see washout floors in the OBX.

However, in this demographic, they aren't really competing with Jeep so much as they are creating a new market for people who otherwise drive Land Rovers. Land Cruisers and F-150 King Ranches and wouldn't ever consider buying a dedicated off-roader. F-150 pretty much dominates the market in SOBX until summer rolls around. With very little rock oriented terrain, dedicated off-roaders like Jeep Wranglers with big tires just aren't that common unless you are near the military bases.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1" somehow makes it a mall crawler, not capable offroad, etc etc huh?
Well we already know tape measures are hard to come by round here.
Get the OBX if you want. The bigger wheels are to look better. Like 20+" wheels lots of trucks and SUVs come with these days. 18s are just an attempt to look the part of luxury.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Factory built mallcrawler? I dunno it’s like the Tacoma limited. It’s a thing but rarely bought trim? I suspect this will be similar
I've heard OBX is the 3rd highest selling model.

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know sir, but that's a lot of sidewall right there. They are quite capable for light to medium off roading. Now, I'm not going to try rock crawling or mud bogging with them, but they have never left me wanting more the way I use them.

Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? 100_4762.JPG
This is a lot of sidewall (35s on 15s):
Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? NewLiftandTires (1)

Honestly, why didn't they go insane with the OBX and give it 20s or 22s? Maybe in MY22 when you can get a matching painted hard top.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is a lot of sidewall (35s on 15s):
Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? NewLiftandTires (1)

Honestly, why didn't they go insane with the OBX and give it 20s or 22s? Maybe in MY22 when you can get a matching painted hard top.
If you order a black one you can already get the matching top. :)
Sponsored