Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
10r60 confirmed.
Yup, it's what is used in the Explorer ST and Lincoln Aviator that also use the 3.0L Ecoboost. I have both of those vehicles and the transmission does just fine even when the motor is tuned for more power.

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Soooo, this was a simple bottom line type of thing. Not a let the market demand lead us kind of thing.
Pretty sure market demand for the Bronco Raptor with the 3.0 isn't going to be an issue.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
i know its been a minute. But im back!

my BIGGEST point of why i would MUCH rather have the 3.0 vs 5.0 is elevation!
most trails are a mile high plus.
n/a motor will loose 15%+ vs turbo.

also heres my guestination 430/430
Ford Bronco Why no V8 for Bronco Raptor - reason from Ford AC54965F-4CD5-4F8E-9512-3AED730A66A7

Ford Bronco Why no V8 for Bronco Raptor - reason from Ford 3B245803-CFC6-434F-BDDA-89D63C0041DD

Sponsored

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Chances that they produce these in any volume in 2022 is low. And it still looks fugly and awkward with those giant hideous shiny black fender flares that they stole from a batman costume. Hood scoop looks like a cheap bolt-on from aftermarket company that sells to 2005 Fast&Furious wannabes. And the interior looks like 5 different designers had a fist fight and everyone lost. In a few years, they will sort some of this out (and have a V8). I would definitely wait (even if I was interested).

SASProbie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windup Toy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i know its been a minute. But im back!

my BIGGEST point of why i would MUCH rather have the 3.0 vs 5.0 is elevation!
most trails are a mile high plus.
n/a motor will loose 15%+ vs turbo.

also heres my guestination 430/430
Ford Bronco Why no V8 for Bronco Raptor - reason from Ford 3B245803-CFC6-434F-BDDA-89D63C0041DD

Plus the torque you get under 3k RPM. Who wants to be on a rock and the torque you need is at 5k RPM... But that 392 sounds great for show!!!

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At 400+HP, does it need a v8? The platform is intended for adventure off road and crawling, not racing.

If it's a go fast Baja truck that can send over 150ft tabletops you are seeking, I would suggest perhaps engaging Hennessey for a VelociRaptor.

Ford Bronco Why no V8 for Bronco Raptor - reason from Ford hennessey-velociraptor-v8-1

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Given the size and price of this thing I'm not sure why people wouldn't just go for the F-150 raptor
Its simple, they want a Bronco not a F150. I'm not into Raptors, but for me going with a "normal" Bronco over F150 came down to ease of navigating around town and parking, and simply looks.

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is it the same transmission as the standard Bronco? If so I'd be a little concerned....
that's what i was thinking- i already read somewhere that the auto trans for the 2.7 really shouldn't get more than 400 ftlbs of torque going through it. i also remember something about the ford programmer that they are coming out with to tune the 2.7 giving it a nice boost but having to not overload the trans. interesting that the 2.7 with the ford tune will get pretty close to the raptor's numbers. i'd rather have a standard width bronco with close to the same power- hopefully they'll release that programmer one day

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figured as much. It makes perfect sense honestly. As @Kos said it just makes sense to not completely change the production setup for a single lowish-volume vehicle that only costs $70,000.

Yeah I don't get it either.

10R80 seems to be what everyone wants... but that's a 800 nm transmission intended for a full-sized truck that tows over 10,000 lbs. Not a mid-sized SUV like the Bronco.

BUT HEY, people want what they want.
Curious why the upgrade to towing capacity. Just the hp increase or wider stance?

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After watching Ford vs Ferrari again , I am reminded that most Corporations rarely do what is right for the customer / enthusiast ...no big deal and disappointing for sure...but it is a reality.

I also heard that the fender flares on bronco raptor couldn't be painted due to the size restrictions of the paint booth ???? I am sure that is accurate and true....lol. The reason people want the better transmission is that its intended use is much more severe than its use in a Lincoln or a Ford Explorer...Using a transmission that is right at its torque limit with a high performance vehicle isn't ideal....Someone at Ford has a "spin" on why this transmission and no v8 was used and why fender flares couldn't be painted....A 2.7l or 3.o liter twin turbo motor has a very limited service life---maybe 80,000 miles before turbos need replacement? A 5.0 liter v8 can be serviced and rebuilt by engine shops all over the US...making a v8 bronco a long-term hold....imo...anything with a turbo will have a short service life....how much is a 2.7L to replace? I drove a gen1 raptor with a tuned v8...not super charged ...just exhaust and filters....8 yrs old and it drove like a dream....I have a feeling many true enthusiasts want a v8 bronco ---for long-term ownership---its a much safer bet. Cheers

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Curious why the upgrade to towing capacity. Just the hp increase or wider stance?
They moved the muffler in front of the rear axle and put in a brace to increase strength for towing. The statement was pretty simple. something like "people like to take their toys with them".
Sponsored