Sponsored

Will Bronco hold resale value like Jeep JL? Amazing numbers.

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My crazy theory about wranglers is that they are the one vehicle where mods actually increase the resale value, thus throwing off the resale calcs
I agree that Wrangler's with mods helps with resale, but a basic Sport or Sport S with no mods still has strong resale. It's been a niche vehicle type that most people just daily drive and really want to have within that niche community so they pay for the unique style and lifestyle it represents - even if they don't live it. Hopefully the Bronco will fit that niche with ongoing strong resale too. Also for the curious, Google told me the Wrangler is 70/30 male/female. Whether 2 door or 4 door. I thought women may want the 2 door more as a female friend momentarily annoyed me calling my 2 door "cute".
Sponsored

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep products are tanking pretty hard right now, reason they are finally starting to upgrade their interiors. I’m finding used jeeps cheaper than I have in years. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in general are hurting, they are starting to give some sweet deals though, so will see if their new and used car market can rebound. Looked at a Ram power wagon last week, 15K off. It still hasn’t sold.
I'm finding used cars across the board cheaper as people have been hammered by inflation and interest rates to finance are crazy. Lot of full lots out there regardless of make. I'd be curious to see a 2024 study on best resale as a lot has changed the past two years and I think a lot of people are priced out of a JL or Bronco. $25k crossovers are popular now that things are tight. Bronco Sport new sold quite well first two months of this year.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bought 2014 2D JK Sport for $27k in 2014. Traded it to CarMax is mid 2023 for $15.5k. That is a 6% annual depreciation over 10 years. Admittedly on the tail end of the Covid madness.

I don't think going forward either the Wrangler or Bronco will hold value nearly as well. All the tech that is being stuffed in new vehicles depreciates the old ones faster..

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

These are some amazing stats from 2022. Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door only loses 7.3% of value over 5 years. 4 door increased in value by 2% over 3 years of ownership. We are seeing the big asking over MSRP of the Bronco disappear. Will it hold its value in coming years like the Jeep JL does? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/đź’°-jeep-wranglers-have-the-highest-resale-value-least-depreciation-of-all-vehicles-after-5-years-ownership.104060/
Jeep resale will tank very soon. Stellantis has an inventory + production + pricing problem.

Wrangler sales have plummeted from 220K in 2021 to 150K in 2023. And 40K of those sales in 2023 are the PHEVs so in reality only 110K gas Wranglers were sold in 2023. Jeep jacked MSRPes by $10K+ in the same timeframe and dealer discounts are high due to large inventory and lower demand. Every other carmaker has posted near double digit sales growth over the same time period by Stellantis keeps f**king themselves. My Grand Cherokee has lost $20K in value in a year and now you can buy Gladiators with 20% off MSRP (was sent e-mails from my Jeep dealer about these incentives).

Ford Bronco Will Bronco hold resale value like Jeep JL? Amazing numbers. 1710565262548-q3

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep resale will tank very soon. Stellantis has an inventory + production + pricing problem.

Wrangler sales have plummeted from 220K in 2021 to 150K in 2023. And 40K of those sales in 2023 are the PHEVs so in reality only 110K gas Wranglers were sold in 2023. Jeep jacked MSRPes by $10K+ in the same timeframe and dealer discounts are high due to large inventory and lower demand. Every other carmaker has posted near double digit sales growth over the same time period by Stellantis keeps f**king themselves. My Grand Cherokee has lost $20K in value in a year and now you can buy Gladiators with 20% off MSRP (was sent e-mails from my Jeep dealer about these incentives).

Ford Bronco Will Bronco hold resale value like Jeep JL? Amazing numbers. 1710565262548-q3
According to current build and price, the most basic Wrangler is $32k, compared to Bronco at $39k. It's Bronco not Wrangler that went up $10k.

I don't know how much price matters anyway, it seems a thing to spend big on vehicles these days. No longer being the only open top 4x4 in town is impacting Wrangler sales.

Sponsored

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

According to current build and price, the most basic Wrangler is $32k, compared to Bronco at $39k. It's Bronco not Wrangler that went up $10k.
2022 Rubicon 2-door

Ford Bronco Will Bronco hold resale value like Jeep JL? Amazing numbers. 1710570592333-jv

VS today (I'm assuming both are 2-door... if 4-door add $6K to the 2024 price) and I believe after the recent Wrangler $4500 price cuts too.

Ford Bronco Will Bronco hold resale value like Jeep JL? Amazing numbers. 1710570731816-ix

I don't know how much price matters anyway, it seems a thing to spend big on vehicles these days. No longer being the only open top 4x4 in town is impacting Wrangler sales.
It does because modern SUVs are extremely well equipped and priced competitively. For $54K that is a top-trim Palisade or Telluride loaded up to the gills with leather, premium audio, HUD, dual moonroof, 3 rows, surround view, HDA, etc. Grand Highlander is similarly priced. CX-90, Pilot, etc. also within range and also very nice compared to the budgety Wrangler.

For Jeeps to have highway lane centering you need to spend $65K for a GC Overland or Summit. Lane-centering (not just lane keep) ADAS is standard on many base model SUVs for many foreign brands.

Jeep sales collapsing doesn't surprise me at all... they should be priced BELOW competitors because their vehicles aren't remotely competitive feature wise. And Jeep reliability is sh*t too.

Value-wise... folks will buy the "need" cars and avoid Wranglers, Broncos, etc (aka toys). Many folks buying Broncos and Wrangler rarely even open their tops and I argue when the new Land Cruiser arrives - sales of Broncos and Wranglers will take yet another major hit.

STuff1

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 2 DR Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Jeep wrangler resale is a myth. I had a 2024 wrangler. Bought in October of 23. Was a sport, $42k sticker. Dealer wouldn’t budge on price. I bought anyway and it had tons of issues. Dealer didn’t want to fix anything. Tried for 3 months and after 35 years of jeep ownership I had to bail. Traded it with 2k miles. Three quotes and the best I could find was $34k for my trade. One offered me $31k. At $34k thats an 8k loss within 3 months. Never will I buy another Jeep product. Same with the Bronco though really. No car in 2023 or 2024 will hold value, thousands are lost the moment you sign the contract.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
True.

Bad Example below of a 2025 Mid Cycle Bronco Refresh:
hWIYUYu.jpg
I understand that is probably just some terrible AI rendering but their are way to many changes depicted compared to what is considered a normal refresh. An example of the next gen would probably be more accurate.

Back on topic. The JK's and JL's have always been somewhat of a market anomaly. If one knows where to look Wranglers can consistently be bought at a 8-12% under MSRP. Yet they have the least depreciation hit and stronger than normal resale.

I chalk it up to consumer ignorance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The JK's and JL's have always been somewhat of a market anomaly. If one knows where to look Wranglers can consistently be bought at a 8-12% under MSRP. Yet they have the least depreciation hit and stronger than normal resale.

I chalk it up to consumer ignorance.
I posted a few weeks back about a Jeep dealer in rural Utah selling Rubicon's for $8k under MSRP. Volume dealer where people order from all over the country and still get a good deal paying $1,500 to transport home or flying in and driving home. Problem is, the demand for JL's is high in urban/metro areas for the most part and they go for MSRP or close to it. This is referring to 2022 from my OP post. JL had become a status vehicle. I am also sure this has cooled down the last 2 years as finance rates are through the roof and people are getting their earnings eaten by inflation. Still, impressive how Wrangler's have held their values over time. Niche vehicle that is now a status thing IMO. I see them everywhere driving through wealthy suburbs. Hopefully Bronco will have the same status (certainly seems to early on), but the two will no doubt cannibalize resale for each other a bit.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
These are some amazing stats from 2022. Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door only loses 7.3% of value over 5 years. 4 door increased in value by 2% over 3 years of ownership. We are seeing the big asking over MSRP of the Bronco disappear. Will it hold its value in coming years like the Jeep JL does? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/đź’°-jeep-wranglers-have-the-highest-resale-value-least-depreciation-of-all-vehicles-after-5-years-ownership.104060/
yes of course ...although shipped has rameped up broncos will never be a give away product and prices will always be higher than your average ford

Sponsored

sstanley50

Badlands
First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a group on fb now for the corrosion and quite a few people are over it, every time I wash mine now I have to look and wonder how long I've got, made a slap at it on the hinges. They say it will only delay the corrosion which is all over on the hood, tailgate and doors until it's out of warranty and they won't have to pay. The reason I'm here, looking at Bronco's/

RAC-Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
RAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Jeep wrangler resale is a myth. I had a 2024 wrangler. Bought in October of 23. Was a sport, $42k sticker. Dealer wouldn’t budge on price. I bought anyway and it had tons of issues. Dealer didn’t want to fix anything. Tried for 3 months and after 35 years of jeep ownership I had to bail. Traded it with 2k miles. Three quotes and the best I could find was $34k for my trade. One offered me $31k. At $34k thats an 8k loss within 3 months. Never will I buy another Jeep product. Same with the Bronco though really. No car in 2023 or 2024 will hold value, thousands are lost the moment you sign the contract.
You paid $42K for a Sport? And then sold after just 3 months? I mean you bought high and sold low.

Jeep Wrangler resale in wasn't a "myth" for me. I had a 2018 JL Unlimited Sport. My 3rd Wrangler in over 25 years. Manual everything. Zero mods. I paid a bit under $35K. I drove it for around 5 years. Zero cost of ownership other than basic wear & tear. When I went to buy my Bronco (off the lot, WAY under sticker, the EXACT trim level and color I wanted - No waiting months/years for a build order) my Carvana offer for my JL (honored by the dealer) was over $30K. Less than $5K depreciation over 5 years - around 86% of original cost. Even though I had no additional cost of ownership, I was still disappointed with the JL. Jeep made few improvements from JK to JL other than the engine. The stock suspension was a joke and there was already significant rust on all 4 doors and hood. They did little to upgrade or fix long term issues. Electronics, especially the radio, were terrible.

After over 25 years of happy Jeeping, I'm even more thrilled with my Bronco.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
2022 Rubicon 2-door

Ford Bronco Will Bronco hold resale value like Jeep JL? Amazing numbers. 1710570731816-ix

VS today (I'm assuming both are 2-door... if 4-door add $6K to the 2024 price) and I believe after the recent Wrangler $4500 price cuts too.

It does because modern SUVs are extremely well equipped and priced competitively. For $54K that is a top-trim Palisade or Telluride loaded up to the gills with leather, premium audio, HUD, dual moonroof, 3 rows, surround view, HDA, etc. Grand Highlander is similarly priced. CX-90, Pilot, etc. also within range and also very nice compared to the budgety Wrangler.

For Jeeps to have highway lane centering you need to spend $65K for a GC Overland or Summit. Lane-centering (not just lane keep) ADAS is standard on many base model SUVs for many foreign brands.

Jeep sales collapsing doesn't surprise me at all... they should be priced BELOW competitors because their vehicles aren't remotely competitive feature wise. And Jeep reliability is sh*t too.

Value-wise... folks will buy the "need" cars and avoid Wranglers, Broncos, etc (aka toys). Many folks buying Broncos and Wrangler rarely even open their tops and I argue when the new Land Cruiser arrives - sales of Broncos and Wranglers will take yet another major hit.
Interesting. So based on your Rubicon price comparison over time, the higher end Wranglers (such as Rubicon) jumped in price more than the lower base version I compared. If I were deciding where to raise prices, I'd probably also target the higher end bigger spending customers.

Jeeps appears to have held the line better than Ford, in terms of entry price to the vehicle. In 2024 we are looking at approx $7k extra to get into the lowest cost Bronco compared to Wrangler.

When comparing Wrangler/Bronco to other SUVs, I'm not sure Jeep/Ford needs to compete as strongly on the bells and whistles. Jeep/Ford is selling an image not just a vehicle, and for the people buying that image, a Telluride for example doesn't cut it.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My crazy theory about wranglers is that they are the one vehicle where mods actually increase the resale value, thus throwing off the resale calcs
That’s a good point. I’d say it differently: the average Jeep has more aftermarket upgrades than the average non Jeep.

Bacon is Life

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX+Sas, 992 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am hopeful the Bronco holds value like the Wrangler... but I am a bit nervous.
I have owned 3 JK's and 2 JL's, all Rubicon trims... I flipped them very two~three years because the trade-in values were so high.

And FYI, in the dealer world, mods offer no increased value... and in some cases, can hinder it (read: angry Jeep grille).
Sponsored