Sponsored

Will roof panels removal cause wind buffeting?

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello - quick question for anyone that has taken a ride in hard top without roof panels.

Specific question is - when you remove the front row and back seat roof, but leave on the rear hatch hard panel area, does it make that uncomfortable wop wop wop sound? I ask because it seems easy to remove the front row and back seat panels without the back trunk hard top. It would be nice if they engineered it so you would enjoy that ride.
Sponsored

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I haven't seen any videos online of ford doing any rest drives without the front panels. I'm not sure you'll find anyone who has. Good luck.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And at a recent event, the presenter stated that the middle section won't fit in the Bronco... So sounds like removing the mid takes alot of preplanning.

Maybe they should have made it in 2 parts as well.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello - quick question for anyone that has taken a ride in hard top without roof panels.

Specific question is - when you remove the front row and back seat roof, but leave on the rear hatch hard panel area, does it make that uncomfortable wop wop wop sound? I ask because it seems easy to remove the front row and back seat panels without the back trunk hard top. It would be nice if they engineered it so you would enjoy that ride.
Short answer: No. You'll be fine.

Long answer: If you do find it happening, just crack a rear window.

Longer answer: The windshield does a good job of directing air around the vehicle. In more expensive convertibles they actually come with a rear panel that can extend upwards (mimicking the rear clamshell in terms of aerodynamics) for the purpose of creating a pocket of still air for a more pleasurable ride experience.

Longest answer: Don't overthink this.

;)

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I what my long flowing locks of hair blowing all over :p

Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Doesn't on my Jeep. I also have the Sunrider top, which is just open over the front seats, no buffeting. Only really with front windows open, back closed. Like Zack said, crack a window that goes away.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't seen any videos online of ford doing any rest drives without the front panels. I'm not sure you'll find anyone who has. Good luck.
There was a bronco bring driven around with front and mid panels removed at KOH.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-mode-trail-turn-sway-bar-rear-legroom.12376/

It was also discussed on a BN Instagram live. They said you can drive with the front and mid off. But not the other way around, with the rear off and the mid / fronts installed.

Last edited:

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

They haven't allowed much buffeting since COVID hit. Chinese buffets, in particular, have really struggled.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, yes.

Sponsored

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There was a bronco bring driven around with front and mid panels removed at KOH.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-mode-trail-turn-sway-bar-rear-legroom.12376/

It was also discussed on a BN Instagram live. They said you can drive with the front and mid off. But not the other way around, with the rear off and the mid / fronts installed.
Good to know. I saw a separate discussion that said the front panels could stay on when the mid and rear off - as they attach to the windshield.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I doubt that will be an issue, for one I think there's a vent in the back so you don't pop your ears when you close the doors.
And on the Wrangler I had for a week with a sunrider there was none of this, windows up or down, highway speed.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands