Sponsored

Will the doors fit in cargo area with soft top fully retracted?

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just changed my order from MIC to soft top, so I wasn't concerned about this before and didn't pay too much attention to soft top info or posts. I did a search, but couldn't find any info on whether all 4 doors will store in the cargo area and still allow the soft top to be fully retracted. Anyone have any insight? Thanks all!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the answer is no.

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just changed my order from MIC to soft top, so I wasn't concerned about this before and didn't pay too much attention to soft top info of posts. I did a search, but couldn't find any info on whether all 4 doors will store in the cargo area and still allow the soft top to be fully retracted. Anyone have any insight? Thanks all!!
I don't see why they wouldn't, but I don't really know. I did swap tops to a soft top over a month ago and still have no build date. I was cool with either top, but switching didn't expedite anything on my build. Maybe we need to wait for someone that has taken delivery of a soft top and tried putting the doors in the cargo area to chime in...

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You cannot buy the door storage bags if you buy the soft top. That is probably a clear sign that the soft top won't work well with storing the doors in the trunk.

OP
OP
djn3400

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You cannot buy the door storage bags if you buy the soft top. That is probably a clear sign that the soft top won't work well with storing the doors in the trunk.
That seems odd, because they would certainly fit in the back of the soft top with the top up in case you wanted to keep the top up but take the doors off (would give shade if the sun were beating down, but still allow for an open air experience).

I assume you can order the on-board storage bags through the dealer regardless of what top you have. Is that not the case?

Sponsored

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That seems odd, because they would certainly fit in the back of the soft top with the top up in case you wanted to keep the top up but take the doors off (would give shade if the sun were beating down, but still allow for an open air experience).
I thought the same thing, and thought it was a bug in the B&P. My dealer confirmed that the storage bag system for the doors is only available with hard tops though.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, OP for bringing this question up.
Something I hadn't even considered.
All the more reason to remain with the MIC for me.
I've been weighing pros and cons literally for weeks on this situation.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't recall seeing anything official on this but in one of the dozen or so media review videos, they said that the doors could not be stored in the back with the soft top (this was one of the negatives).

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had this same exact question. It's up in the air if you can store doors onboard, however, I asked my dealer if they could add the storage bags for my (eventual) hardtop and doors to my order, and they did! It shows up as a dealer accessory.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can have your dealer add the storage bags to your build with soft top, I did. The accessory cost is extravagant. (y)

Sponsored
OP
OP
djn3400

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looking at a bunch of pictures of the doors stored in the back, it seems almost certain that at least 2 doors would easily fit back there with the top down, just not sure about the other 2.

I also checked B&P and the door bags do say hard top only, but it also includes a bag for the front 2 hard top panels, so maybe that is why they say you need the hardtop to get the bags?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm just calling this ridiculous. They have to fit! There's actually MORE room in the soft top version than the hard tops. I'm planning on buying the garage bags anyway and using them.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe you guys are overlooking the obvious - it's not about the soft top internal hinges, etc. that make the space not large enough to store the doors....the issue is limited access to get the doors inside. The soft top only opens so much at the tailgate. You probably need the flip up glass tailgate offered on the hardtop to get enough access to get all the doors inside. Even if you zip out the rear window you're still left with a cross member trim piece at the top of the swing out tailgate. So you would literally need to remove the entire soft top to get the door inside. And even then you probably wouldnt have enough clearance on the inside to bolt back the soft top if your trunk is packed with doors.

OP
OP
djn3400

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

despite all evidence to the contrary, I cant see why they wouldnt fit...

might be a trick getting them in though... the soft top only flips up a little bit, unlike the hard top which has a full hatch on struts, so maybe it would be difficult or impossible to physically get the doors into the trunk with the soft top in any position?

its also possible that the path of the soft top as it folds down, the doors stick up beyond the slanted rails in the back, so if the soft top travels in that path, it may be an issue.

but what if you recognize that you cannot shift the soft top into position 2 with the doors in the trunk? could you still store them there as long as your ok pulling them out and putting them back to raise/lower the soft top? need to experiment I imagine.

not sure if Ive seen the doors stowed with the hard top cab in place either though, perhaps it only fits with ALL the tops removed.
good point on accessing the cargo area to get the doors in, I hadn’t thought of that and was only focused on them clearing the top when it folds back. However, I’d fine removing the rear plastic window if that would allow you to load them in.

Edit: I’m ok with lifting the doors over the cross rail and tailgate with the rear window out if need be

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe you guys are overlooking the obvious - it's not about the soft top internal hinges, etc. that make the space not large enough to store the doors....the issue is limited access to get the doors inside. The soft top only opens so much at the tailgate. You probably need the flip up glass tailgate offered on the hardtop to get enough access to get all the doors inside. Even if you zip out the rear window you're still left with a cross member trim piece at the top of the swing out tailgate. So you would literally need to remove the entire soft top to get the door inside. And even then you probably wouldnt have enough clearance on the inside to bolt back the soft top if your trunk is packed with doors.
OHHHHH!!!!!!!! Brilliant! No one has thought of that until now. Wow.....hmmmm, wondering if they wouldn't slip under the top with tailgate open? or, put the top up, stick them in, and then lower?
Sponsored