First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most Jeep owners seem to hate the gorilla glass option. It seems to break just as easily, and it's far more expensive to replace.
Sponsored

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most Jeep owners seem to hate the gorilla glass option. It seems to break just as easily, and it's far more expensive to replace.
Anyone that wants to see how much the Jeep community likes Gorilla Glass, check the JLWrangler forums.

Spoiler: They don't.

I spec'd my JLR with Gorilla Glass hoping to curb windshield breakage, but after seeing first hand experience, I've curbed my expectations and anticipate it being just as garbage as the normal windshield.

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone that wants to see how much the Jeep community likes Gorilla Glass, check the JLWrangler forums.

Spoiler: They don't.

I spec'd my JLR with Gorilla Glass hoping to curb windshield breakage, but after seeing first hand experience, I've curbed my expectations and anticipate it being just as garbage as the normal windshield.
My wife has a JL, so I browse that forum too. Anticipation was so high on it, and then they finally started delivering them, and they still break at a similar rate.

Disappointing for sure, but I guess it's more of a window geometry issue than anything. Outside of something actually bulletproof I suspect the issue will continue.

ByrdDogX

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On my JK, I could get a replacement glass for $135 (non-OEM) compared to almost $500 for Gorilla.

Gorilla will only replace glass if crack is within a certain measurement or something along those lines. Know several people that couldn't get replacements so I just stuck with the cheapo windshields. Not that there's such a thing for the Bronco at this point.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
couldnt we apply some sort of film? not sure if a clear bra type thing is the right choice, but almost anything would likely absorb enough of the impact to prevent that ceramic on glass contact.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the Gorilla Glass on my Rubicon and it broke just as easy. I had to wait 3 months to get the replacement and double the cost. I am staying with regular if an option.
Wow, replacement for regular glass for my Wrangler was less than $200, good to know.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The day I had a rock chip, they were replacing a gorilla glass windshield. The shop advised they'd done several replacements on them.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

couldnt we apply some sort of film? not sure if a clear bra type thing is the right choice, but almost anything would likely absorb enough of the impact to prevent that ceramic on glass contact.
There are some PPF-like films out there for windshields, but seems like most of them include a big disclaimer that they are supposed to be replaced every year or two. (I think because they degrade or discolor with UV exposure over time.) Since these films seem to cost a few hundred on their own, they don't strike me as a cost effective solution.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford, you listening...this needed to be an option from the get go!!! Get on this please!!! These windshields are rock magnets.
The Gorilla Glass layer is on the inside of the windshield. It will not have an effect on rock chips.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is...my Ford Dealer applied it. Good/warranty for five years.

The Ford hood Deflector works pretty darn good, too. And, I like the looks of it.

Sponsored

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Called Exosheild. I had it put on my new windshield for $350. Already taken a rock hit, the day I dove it home from installation, 3.5" from the A pillar on the pax side. Didn't bulls eye or crack. Fingers crossed!

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has stated internally that they will not be offering Gorilla glass. I forget the specific concerns since that was a very specialized group but it wasn’t very feasible for regular production amongst other reasons.

Ford has already had the supplier increase the thickness of the glass though I’m not sure when that went into place. Likely Job 2 for 2022 with how delayed everything else has been.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve got 7k miles and 4 chips in my windshield. Not replacing it till it becomes a visibility issue since it seems this will happen consistently. My deductible is $100 for windshield replacement and I don’t have the ACC so no calibration for me. I like the idea of a film, like a screen protector, over the outside of the windshield. Might have to look into that exoshield.

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve got 7k miles and 4 chips in my windshield. Not replacing it till it becomes a visibility issue since it seems this will happen consistently. My deductible is $100 for windshield replacement and I don’t have the ACC so no calibration for me. I like the idea of a film, like a screen protector, over the outside of the windshield. Might have to look into that exoshield.
I think the acc uses the radar built into the lower grill bumper area. The sensor in the windshield is for pre collision braking. Would still need it calibrated.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What about rock screens like Aussie vehicles have?
Sponsored