sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2 - Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've always heard good things about Bridgestone Blizzak. I never had an issue with them when I lived up north.
I used to run 4 Blizzaks on my Wife’s Dodge Magnum Wagon. Great snow tire, but they only lasted 5 seasons.

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you find yourself driving on hard-packed ice or snow the majority of those 4 months, I'd go studded. Studs are loud and slippery on pavement, so if you typically have clear roads with intermittent snow/blizzards, I'd skip the studs. If you're driving on snow every day for months, I'd do studs.
This used to be true, but I think Nokian themselves have stated that tire technology has advanced to the point that studs are not really necessary for the majority of the lower 48. Alaska and *Canada (*mountainous or remote areas) would be the only places I would run studs. I live in Bozeman, MT and my studless winter tires on my Tacoma have been stable in every condition I have encountered.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This used to be true, but I think Nokian themselves have stated that tire technology has advanced to the point that studs are not really necessary for the majority of the lower 48. Alaska and *Canada (*mountainous or remote areas) would be the only places I would run studs. I live in Bozeman, MT and my studless winter tires on my Tacoma have been stable in every condition I have encountered.
I don't understand what you're saying, you said, "This used to be true" and then agreed with me. All I said was that if studs offer an advantage for the majority of your winter driving, then run them.

That mirrors what Nokian literally says:
If you spend more time driving on icy roads or roads with packed snow in the winter, you should choose studded winter tires. Non-studded tires are generally better suited for snowy roads.
https://www.nokiantires.com/customer-service/selecting-tires/studded-or-non-studded/

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm on my second season of my studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas, I run a mix of studs and studless tires on my vehicles blizzaks on 2, Nokian studded on the Bronco, Hankook studded on my plow truck and studded cooper's on my Excursion. I live in Alaska and we don't salt, so winter means icy roads. I'm very happy with my tire selection and they work well for our roads.

I do enjoy less road noise on the studless tires on pavement. So if you have well maintained roads skip them.

Ford Bronco Winter Tire Knowledge 20220305_153226
Ford Bronco Winter Tire Knowledge 20220305_143750
Ford Bronco Winter Tire Knowledge 20211125_125324

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm on my second season of my studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas, I run a mix of studs and studless tires on my vehicles blizzaks on 2, Nokian studded on the Bronco, Hankook studded on my plow truck and studded cooper's on my Excursion. I live in Alaska and we don't salt, so winter means icy roads. I'm very happy with my tire selection and they work well for our roads.

I do enjoy less road noise on the studless tires on pavement. So if you have well maintained roads skip them.

Which Hakkas are these? I couldn’t find them in 315/70/17

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco Winter Tire Knowledge Screenshot_20221109-133628_Chrome
Where are you that they don’t salt the roads?

Up in Fairbanks, if it’s ~10°F or warmer they started putting brine on the roads which is basically liquid oxidizer. I hate it. I put fluid film on my bronco after seeing what it’s doing to my poor old high school truck.

Sponsored

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any reports on how the stock 315 MT’s are in snow?

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Where are you that they don’t salt the roads?

Up in Fairbanks, if it’s ~10°F or warmer they started putting brine on the roads which is basically liquid oxidizer. I hate it. I put fluid film on my bronco after seeing what it’s doing to my poor old high school truck.
I know I'll never understand why AKDOT decided to do that crap.
I'm in Anchorage, DOT uses a little deicer on state roads mostly only the Seward and Glenn but the municipality doesn't, just gravel/sand. I don't leave Anchorage so I have 20+ year old trucks with no rust that don't leave the municipality much.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used to run 4 Blizzaks on my Wife’s Dodge Magnum Wagon. Great snow tire, but they only lasted 5 seasons.
I'm surprised you got 5 seasons. Expected lifespan of maximum grip is ~20,000 miles which is only 3ish seasons for me. The top half of the tread blocks contains the grippiest compound - once that is gone you'll have reduced traction. But snow tires aren't like all-seasons that you can wear down to the bars - you need tread depth for them to do their job.

I tried pushing my second set of Blizzaks to 30,000 miles but that ended up with my wife's car in a snowbank and cost me a bumper, which ended up being more than a new set of tires would have cost in the first place.

FrankenRodz

Base
First Name
sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2 - Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm surprised you got 5 seasons. Expected lifespan of maximum grip is ~20,000 miles which is only 3ish seasons for me. The top half of the tread blocks contains the grippiest compound - once that is gone you'll have reduced traction. But snow tires aren't like all-seasons that you can wear down to the bars - you need tread depth for them to do their job.

I tried pushing my second set of Blizzaks to 30,000 miles but that ended up with my wife's car in a snowbank and cost me a bumper, which ended up being more than a new set of tires would have cost in the first place.
My Wife only drives about 5k miles a year! Most of that is not Winter driving. 🥶

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model