Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Many reports, the best reports, everyone knows these reports. Some say the 2.3 is the worst engine that was the best when i had it, but the worst when anyone else had one. Believe me. Some of those 2.3's, you can just grab 'em by the oil pan.
You sir. Are a genius.
Sponsored

Last edited:

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you go on the internet and look for problems you are going to find it. I did a ton of research on the 2.3L before I purchased my Bronco, and it is a well regarded engine. The Mustang crowd is into tuning and modifying these engines to make crazy HP and Torque, which of course is going to cause issues.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Trust the internet! It was designed so that the people of the world could share their knowledge and you would not be left in the dark!
My friend received an email that said if he didnt forward this .gif of a cat playing piano to 10 people, someone near him would die. 3 months later, someone at the nursing home he helps out at died. Coincidence? Since then we forward the cr*p out of that cat playing piano email.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After seeing so many reports of bad 2.3 and the v6 engines on til too and other forums, I am truly beginning to worry. I have a 2.3 BigBend that I love which I have had for 17 months now and only 6500 miles. No issues thus far but everyone is saying 12 to 15k and these engines are knocking, locking up. Just worried after pay over 50k + crazy financing.
Break it in gently, always bring it up to full operating temperature before turning it off, always make sure it’s up to full operating temperature before you run it hard, and change the oil early and often and you will not have any issues. It’s the same procedure that’s been used successfully since internal combustion engines came into being. Other than a small batch of bad valves a few years back, these engines are very, very reliable. These engines provide great performance, and I think because of that they get run a little hard right out of the gate and that can cause long-term problems that can easily be avoided. We use these engines in trucks for our business and they run for hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Neither engine is new, both are mature designs that have been used for years.

The 2.3 has been used in the Eco-boost Mustang since 2015
The 2.7 is the same age, and has been used in the F-150 since 2015

There was a QC issue with some valves on the 2.7 where the valves were overheated during manufacture making them brittle, but that was limited to a small production range of about 2 months back in 2021.

I certainly don't expect them to run as long as the NA 5.4 Triton which would run forever, but they are generally regarded as good engines.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After seeing so many reports of bad 2.3 and the v6 engines on til too and other forums, I am truly beginning to worry. I have a 2.3 BigBend that I love which I have had for 17 months now and only 6500 miles. No issues thus far but everyone is saying 12 to 15k and these engines are knocking, locking up. Just worried after pay over 50k + crazy financing.
My 2.3 has 25K on the clock and purs like a little kitty kat.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many reports, the best reports, everyone knows these reports. Some say the 2.3 is the worst engine that was the best when i had it, but the worst when anyone else had one. Believe me. Some of those 2.3's, you can just grab 'em by the oil pan.
I read it in his voice :oops:

Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Break it in gently, always bring it up to full operating temperature before turning it off, always make sure it’s up to full operating temperature before you run it hard, and change the oil early and often and you will not have any issues. It’s the same procedure that’s been used successfully since internal combustion engines came into being. Other than a small batch of bad valves a few years back, these engines are very, very reliable. These engines provide great performance, and I think because of that they get run a little hard right out of the gate and that can cause long-term problems that can easily be avoided. We use these engines in trucks for our business and they run for hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles.
WHEW...I thought that first sentence was from a Danielle Steele novel about the helpful mechanic.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are 1,000,000+ 2.3L and 2.7L engines out there. Yes, there are lots of failures because just 1% of 1,000,000 would still be 10,000+ engines that grenade.

Lots of Ford haters early on hated the 2.3L Bronco because of all the Mustang/Focus issues. Now, the internet says the 2.7L is terrible.

The 2.7 is a wonderful design and most people have great successs with them.
That video by the Diesel mechanic was pretty neat on the 2.7 design, and how it has design ques from diesel engines.

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The issue is they are boosted engines. So any part that is not manufactured to the correct tolerances is prone to failure. As natural aspired do not see as much stress.

Base line is change your oil often then you have extended engine life. Turbos especially emission controlled systems gum up intake systems and age oil much faster.

3-4k miles
At 6800 miles second oil change for me in the 12 months of ownership. Next one is 10000

Last edited:

jkruk

Outer Banks
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
currently at 41k on my '22 and zero issues