Sponsored

Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ?

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had 4Runners from '92 to '98. I wanted to buy another from 2015 to 2018 but couldn't get over how old the tech was and never did because I figured the next gen was right around the corner. Then I heard about the new Bronco and have been waiting for that ever since. If Toyota would have updated the 4Runner in the last 5 years I would have one, but they have been snoozing and now I have moved on. I just don't see Toyota making anything in the near future that would sway me from Bronco now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If Toyota could or would create a vehicle that was a updated version of the FJ 40 the way Ford is doing with the Bronco I think it would be more of a threat to the Wrangler than the Bronco. Pick a year in the late '60s and compare what was offered. The CJ and FJ were basically the same vehicle by different manufacturers. The Scout and Bronco had the same relationship in the same target market. Its clear that Toyota copied Jeep and Ford copied International Harvester.

So, if we want to play this game and make the rule to keep the designs based on the classic 60s designs then the FJ 40 would be closer to the Wrangler than Bronco.

To answer the original question, I'd still go with the Bronco even if Toyota nailed it in every way.
Good insight!
Thanks!?

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had 4Runners from '92 to '98. I wanted to buy another from 2015 to 2018 but couldn't get over how old the tech was and never did because I figured the next gen was right around the corner. Then I heard about the new Bronco and have been waiting for that ever since. If Toyota would have updated the 4Runner in the last 5 years I would have one, but they have been snoozing and now I have moved on. I just don't see Toyota making anything in the near future that would sway me from Bronco now.
Excellent point about Toyota riding the sales and forgetting to improve a good product to their own detriment when desirable alternatives like the Bronco arrive or better put bust onto the stage!?

C2C1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn’t give up a Klondike Bar for a FJ.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've had ONLY Toyotas for nearly 35 years....every time I see an FJ I wonder, WT?....how did they screw that up? How did they not see that they had the Jeep-beater. Remove the doors and roof and make 2 more doors....in heartbeat I'd jump.

mjbk12

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I owned a 2007 FJ, introductory year, and the final year 2014 FJ. The 2007 was a debate between it and the new 4 door Wrangler. FJ won over Wrangler due to Ride quality and MPG, I currently own both the 2014 FJ and a 2016 Jeep 2 door wrangler. Ride is better in the FJ, however blind spots are awful and it is more of a mall crawler as the creature comforts are better than the Wrangler. Wrangler's advantage is it can be a convertible. My hope is that the Bronco blends the two, convertible option with much better creature comforts and fuel economy. Planning on a 4 door Bronco and I am not afraid to purchase first year product. And as far as resale value on the FJ's, my son totaled the 2007 FJ with 140,000 miles on it in November of 2015 and we received 18,500 plus sales tax on a 7 year old vehicle that I paid 25,000, so brand following does hold up the value, o and the 2014 used FJ i purchased to replace the 2007 i purchased for 32,000 used and it was 34,000 sticker new.

Jetboy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner and FJ40 TLC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If Toyota could or would create a vehicle that was a updated version of the FJ 40 the way Ford is doing with the Bronco I think it would be more of a threat to the Wrangler than the Bronco. Pick a year in the late '60s and compare what was offered. The CJ and FJ were basically the same vehicle by different manufacturers. The Scout and Bronco had the same relationship in the same target market. Its clear that Toyota copied Jeep and Ford copied International Harvester.

So, if we want to play this game and make the rule to keep the designs based on the classic 60s designs then the FJ 40 would be closer to the Wrangler than Bronco.

To answer the original question, I'd still go with the Bronco even if Toyota nailed it in every way.
Definitely depends on the era. I think the 4Runner in original form was probably closer to early bronco competitor than FJ40 although they never really overlapped in availability. First gen EB ended in 76 and the Trekker from winnebago started in 1981 (first early 4Runner model). The FJ40 was closer to a CJ of the era visually for sure. But it was also a closer match in size to the EB. The EB and FJ40 are much bigger than a CJ5 that overlapped in time with the EB from about 1960-1976. So in some ways the FJ40 was more comparable in size to the EB, but in others to the CJ5. The CJ7 was when Jeep really stepped up the size to about as big as an FJ40 and EB - but at that point the second gen bronco had come out.

The concept updated 2 door 7x series Land Cruiser looks a lot closer to Bronco than Jeep if it were ever actually produced and sold in the USA market. Seems unlikely - but probably a hint at what a modernized 2 door small SUV would be like from Toyota. Not sure how much of a competitor it would really be for the wrangler/bronco market.

726db0d6fc0041b7022cdb66101cb03a.jpg

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I owned a 2007 FJ, introductory year, and the final year 2014 FJ. The 2007 was a debate between it and the new 4 door Wrangler. FJ won over Wrangler due to Ride quality and MPG, I currently own both the 2014 FJ and a 2016 Jeep 2 door wrangler. Ride is better in the FJ, however blind spots are awful and it is more of a mall crawler as the creature comforts are better than the Wrangler. Wrangler's advantage is it can be a convertible. My hope is that the Bronco blends the two, convertible option with much better creature comforts and fuel economy. Planning on a 4 door Bronco and I am not afraid to purchase first year product. And as far as resale value on the FJ's, my son totaled the 2007 FJ with 140,000 miles on it in November of 2015 and we received 18,500 plus sales tax on a 7 year old vehicle that I paid 25,000, so brand following does hold up the value, o and the 2014 used FJ i purchased to replace the 2007 i purchased for 32,000 used and it was 34,000 sticker new.
Thanks for the personal comparative analysis. ?

The resale price for the FJ and really any Toyota truck/SUV is truly stellar.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Definitely depends on the era. I think the 4Runner in original form was probably closer to early bronco competitor than FJ40 although they never really overlapped in availability. First gen EB ended in 76 and the Trekker from winnebago started in 1981 (first early 4Runner model). The FJ40 was closer to a CJ of the era visually for sure. But it was also a closer match in size to the EB. The EB and FJ40 are much bigger than a CJ5 that overlapped in time with the EB from about 1960-1976. So in some ways the FJ40 was more comparable in size to the EB, but in others to the CJ5. The CJ7 was when Jeep really stepped up the size to about as big as an FJ40 and EB - but at that point the second gen bronco had come out.

The concept updated 2 door 7x series Land Cruiser looks a lot closer to Bronco than Jeep if it were ever actually produced and sold in the USA market. Seems unlikely - but probably a hint at what a modernized 2 door small SUV would be like from Toyota. Not sure how much of a competitor it would really be for the wrangler/bronco market.

Ford Bronco Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ? 726db0d6fc0041b7022cdb66101cb03a
Your knowledge of the various models and the timeline is impressive!
Thanks for sharing it.?

That concept 2dr 7x series LC looks sweet!?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nope, as far as off road capable vehicles go for me its Bronco or nothing else.

If for some reason I don't get the Bronco I am not gonna look at Jeep or any other offroad type vehicle. I will probably end up in something boring lol

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks tough as nails!??