Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I called my dealer today, a Larger one who has delivered many Broncos, to schedule a 1500 mile oil change before I take it to the snow in Tahoe and the Sierras for the holidays. He said let it ride til 7500, that's what Ford recommends, and my Ford Pass seems to agree. I'm having him look into it more for me, but what are your thoughts on this? I know many here have done it. But is it needed? Or out of utmost caution?
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The thought is to get the metal shavings out of the oil during the break in period and put fresh oil in at1500 but I’m no expert

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's why i have always done my own oil and filters. I do them when I want, always more sooner than required, and always done correctly.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the recommended Amsoil product at around 1K with the Motorcraft filter. Once the initial break in oil is out of there, then you can do extended drain intervals with the proper oil. Don’t let the service manager discourage you from maintaining your vehicle the way that you want to.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would not go 7500. 1500 may be a little too soon though. I typically would change oil in a brand new engine at about 2500 miles. One of my vehicles is a 2019 Silverado with the 5.3. I change the oil at about every 4500 miles, 5-6 months of use. The oil minder is at about 49%. According to the oil meter I could go many more miles. But when I change it it is filthy dirty- so black. I use full synthetic Mobil One. I drive in very hot temperatures in South Florida though.

Everybody is different though- most on these forums change the oil even sooner than I do.

Sponsored

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's kind of an urban myth that you need to change your oil early on a new engine. Any wear particles large enough to cause damage will never pass through the oil filter. Some manufacturers add break-in additives and early oil changes will do more harm than good but oil is one of those things where people have been slow to accept the advances made in lubrication and engine manufacturing so do whatever makes you happy.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is completely unneeded and overkill. I did my Bronco at 3K (mostly to get my preferred Mobil 1 in the crankcase) and have always done my first oil change earlier than recommended, even though it is irrational. I did rebuild my first motor in High School and used assembly lube and break in oil during the build, so it was a bit more of a requirement in that situation. The process has just stuck with me (that motor was a 350 Chevy, was beaten on by me and than another guy I knew and went well over 100K miles so.....).

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On new vehicles I do the first change within the first 1000 miles. After that I do 2500-3000. I realize that it is completely overkill but I am fine with that.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I called my dealer today, a Larger one who has delivered many Broncos, to schedule a 1500 mile oil change before I take it to the snow in Tahoe and the Sierras for the holidays. He said let it ride til 7500, that's what Ford recommends, and my Ford Pass seems to agree. I'm having him look into it more for me, but what are your thoughts on this? I know many here have done it. But is it needed? Or out of utmost caution?
If Ford thought there was any concern at all for longetivity of its engine it would recommend the first oil change early. They don't.

Do it if you want, but in modern engines with modern oils, the research seems to indicate it's unnecessary.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did my break-in oil change at 1,200 miles. I would not leave the factory oil in the truck up to 7,500 miles. Frequent oil changes are cheap insurance for the engine in any vehicle.

OP
OP
Roll Sound

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for all the great responses. It's all food for thought. I've always been the overkill guy, with high performance and high revving engines. But I'm taking this all into consideration.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for all the great responses. It's all food for thought. I've always been the overkill guy, with high performance and high revving engines. But I'm taking this all into consideration.
Don’t neglect your differentials. 2500 to 5000 miles and the rear diff fluid will be a nice silver gray with metal particles. Fill with Amsoil Severe Gear and it will be good for probably as long as you own your Bronco. That is a fact.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t neglect your differentials. 2500 to 5000 miles and the rear diff fluid will be a nice silver gray with metal particles. Fill with Amsoil Severe Gear and it will be good for probably as long as you own your Bronco. That is a fact.
Ugh. I didn't think about that. Makes complete sense.

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I won't give my opinion on the change frequency or interval, but I will say, Don't add any additives to your oil. Brand X and Brand Y may not peacefully coexist.
Sponsored