RivianNowPlz

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't think you understand how autopilot works with turning either. It will not turn for you.

And bumper height is a major factor in which car takes the most damage due to crumple zones and impact variables. Both cars most likely weight roughly the same. Without knowing more details it's hard to say what happened.
Why make general assumptions like this that are false as if they are unequivocally true? Autopilot absolutely turns for you around bends, corners and follows the road. On the freeway its complete bliss. I drove from MN to Colorado with almost no driver assistance outside of keeping my hand on the bottom of the wheel, it's fantastic.

And now that Full Self Driving is available it's possible that this person was using the FSD beta which fully brings you from A to B on city streets, although, again - you need to be attentive with hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. It's not meant to be considered fully autonomous and thus the issue with these accidents. They happen in small doses and typically because drivers get too confident in their own cars ability.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Very sad that she died.
Unfortunately for her, mass wins... always. You can lobby and advertise all you want about efforts to improve safety, but you can't change science...
Model 3?? Not that light really, but I wonder if all the mass on an EV, being basically under the bumper of a new bronco, makes it fair worse than an ICE vehicle in this particular type of match up?

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why make general assumptions like this that are false as if they are unequivocally true? Autopilot absolutely turns for you around bends, corners and follows the road. On the freeway its complete bliss. I drove from MN to Colorado with almost no driver assistance outside of keeping my hand on the bottom of the wheel, it's fantastic.

And now that Full Self Driving is available it's possible that this person was using the FSD beta which fully brings you from A to B on city streets, although, again - you need to be attentive with hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. It's not meant to be considered fully autonomous and thus the issue with these accidents. They happen in small doses and typically because drivers get too confident in their own cars ability.

Following the bend of a road is not a turn, it is just lane following.

He called autopilot a death trap which it is not. FSD is a death trap but that is a different argument.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm okay guys, thanks for your concern. Ordering another one this weekend.
Glad you are OK. Hopefully mentally as well. Something like that can be tough.

Hope you get a new one quick and you can have it longer than a month.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of you people on this forum are just a bunch of grown up cunts. Feel sorry for the victim and quietly think about how well the Bronco held up. WTF is wrong with some of you.
EveryoneLaughingAtYou.png

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Following the bend of a road is not a turn, it is just lane following.

He called autopilot a death trap which it is not. FSD is a death trap but that is a different argument.
If the vehicle can't make turns on it's own, how does Waymo get their driverless cars to go around town with nobody in the vehicle?

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If the vehicle can't make turns on it's own, how does Waymo get their driverless cars to go around town with nobody in the vehicle?
Waymo isn't Tesla and they don't even use the same software or hardware.

Sponsored

budfleck

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2024 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you need anything? I'm in Az and can come help if you need it. Glad to hear your safe and sorry about your Bronco.
I'll be okay, I have a good support team. The physical will heal on it's own, but the mental part will take some time and work.

Nolabel

Wildtrak
First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'll be okay, I have a good support team. The physical will heal on it's own, but the mental part will take some time and work.
I always try to look at the positive side as much as possible so I'll just throw this out there as I'd be eyeballing a Braptor now.

Seanette

Badlands
First Name
Seanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart, 2022 Badlands pending
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far, looks like Broncos can take a hit pretty well. Here's my base after getting t-boned in the nose by a Sacrmento city bus on Monday. Suspension and the aluminum skin took a hit, but the motor compartment doesn't appear to be too disformed. That being said, once the swing-gate was opened, it wasn't about to shut ever again. Just hoping it's not totaled, or, am I?

Ford Bronco Bronco involved in head-on collision with Tesla in Arizona EveryoneLaughingAtYou
I hope no one was hurt!

If you don't mind my asking, did you mean Sacramento, CA? I ask because that doesn't look like one of our Regional Transit buses behind the wounded Bronco.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Waymo isn't Tesla and they don't even use the same software or hardware.
Tesla tested on track
In the Consumer Reports study – which occurred on a half-mile track with lanes – vehicle interface testing program manager Kelly Funkhouser sat in the rear seat and Fisher sat in the driver seat on top of a buckled seat belt because Autopilot will disengage if the belt is unbuckled while the car is moving.

After beginning the drive, Fisher engaged and set the speed dial to zero, bringing the vehicle to a stop. He "next placed a small, weighted chain on the steering wheel, to simulate the weight of a driver’s hand, and slid over into the front passenger seat without opening any of the vehicle’s doors, because that would disengage Autopilot," according to Consumer Reports.

"Using the same steering wheel dial, which controls multiple functions in addition to Autopilot’s speed, Fisher reached over and was able to accelerate the vehicle from a full stop. He stopped the vehicle by dialing the speed back down to zero."

Fisher said: "The car drove up and down the half-mile lane of our track, repeatedly, never noting that no one was in the driver’s seat, never noting that there was no one touching the steering wheel, never noting there was no weight on the seat. It was a bit frightening when we realized how easy it was to defeat the safeguards, which we proved were clearly insufficient.”

Status
Not open for further replies.