First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've got an 21214 131135. 2,450 miles. When is it going to blow up? I've got places to be and need to plan
Random thought and maybe my question has been answered but I do not see any recent discussion

How many, if any, of the 40 and counting
1. Changed their own oil prior to engine failure
2. Dealer changed oil prior to failure
3. First oil change never completed

Just an extra data point that would keep me awake if I changed my own at this point as despite all the fixityourself protections where Ford might deny coverage due to blaming it on the owner touching anything under the hood. Not saying they would get very far in court but that might not stop them from trying
good questions
Sponsored

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just rolled over 2500 miles. Engine still works but I feel I am officially a dead man walking now. I changed my own oil at 1000 and installed both a UPR oil drain plug and their oil catch can in the PCV circuit. I also added a Readylift 2" lift kit, new tires, tinted the windows, installed new speakers(dash and rear pods), added the hood air deflector, paracord grab handles, grill and glove box inlays from stickerfab, auto stop eliminator, and I waxed it. I wonder how many common data points I share with the 40 who went before me. o_O

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’ve been busy!

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's an exact 7.0 quarts
You have to make sure you don't check the oil too soon after turning off the engine. The oil pan has some strange structure that affects the oil level. There have been reports of people adding oil when the oil was actually correct. Too much oil can damage a engine for sure. It the engine has been running, shut it off and wait 15 mins. The below from your owners manual says 10 mins, but my mechanic says wait 15 mins.

CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground.
2. Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warming up and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
3. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth.
4. Reinstall the dipstick and make sure it is fully seated.
5. Remove the dipstick again to check the oil level.
Note: If the oil level is between the maximum and minimum marks, the oil level is acceptable. Do not add oil.

Last edited:

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can anyone tell me if they heard ticking from what I believe is the exhaust area before failure? I just took a picture of my engine build it it does not bode well for me. Looks like I’m a 209. I have about 1300 miles and no issue yet besides the ticking noise.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] A53DA0C3-6861-4488-B38C-39595C1A1070

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not their job. The people who take care of these types of things don't get paid to do customer relation bs. That's just how this industry works
You're right, it is completely unreasonable for us to expect anything from Ford officially addressing what is clearly a growing issue.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Running the Ford B6G account is not a powerful position at the company. A customer service intern does not know anything about the 2.7L engine issue, and would be extremely far away from being authorized to speak about it even if she did. I understand harassing Levine, but pinging the Ford B6G account isn't going to do anything.

NHTSA complaints are the most likely way to wake up people at Ford who can actually say or do something. Second to that would be queries pouring in from dealers around North America. Those channels don't offer the catharsis of being able to complain directly to Ford, but those are how Ford determines that something needs to be done.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Running the Ford B6G account is not a powerful position at the company. A customer service intern does not know anything about the 2.7L engine issue, and would be extremely far away from being authorized to speak about it even if she did. I understand harassing Levine, but pinging the Ford B6G account isn't going to do anything.

NHTSA complaints are the most likely way to wake up people at Ford who can actually say or do something. Second to that would be queries pouring in from dealers around North America. Those channels don't offer the catharsis of being able to complain directly to Ford, but those are how Ford determines that something needs to be done.
I do give the Ford account crap but to put it in perspective I do believe the account is managed by multiple people via the "Ford Social Media Team". FWIW, I think the account shouldn't even be asking people for VINs so that they "can look at it on their end". To me they should just stick with the "nice ride" or "enjoy your ride" post. I think they make matters worse by only posting in certain threads and avoiding others(like this thread).

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Ford SMA.PNG

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2023 Black Diamond 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Random thought and maybe my question has been answered but I do not see any recent discussion

How many, if any, of the 40 and counting
1. Changed their own oil prior to engine failure
2. Dealer changed oil prior to failure
3. First oil change never completed

Just an extra data point that would keep me awake if I changed my own at this point as despite all the fixityourself protections where Ford might deny coverage due to blaming it on the owner touching anything under the hood. Not saying they would get very far in court but that might not stop them from trying
Interesting, however the failure is unlikely to be lubrication related. Plus, many of the failures were likely still on the factory oil fill since the mileage was so low.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone tell me if they heard ticking from what I believe is the exhaust area before failure? I just took a picture of my engine build it it does not bode well for me. Looks like I’m a 209. I have about 1300 miles and no issue yet besides the ticking noise.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Ford SMA.PNG
First ecoboost? These things make all kinds of racket. Both the wife’s Bronco and my f150 w/ the 3.5.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Someone on BN named Rufus said his blew yesterday. Is he on here? Reported?
post probably deleted by now...I don't think they're allowed to talk about it there :)

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't noticed a ticking but it does make a lot of different sounds as it is warming up in the cold mornings here. It takes mine 7 mins at temps around freezing to warm the oil up to 40C. I will see if it makes a ticking sound next time. If you can get a feel for the ticking sound, you might be able to diagnose a noisy valve. If it has exactly the same sound every time, it could be a bad valve, but it could also be other things. I suggest sending a message to the three other 21209 owners.

BroncoWar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco, F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ya, it would be hard to compare the 3.5 directly to any of the other EB motors (although a similar design philosophy), even comparing the 3.5 Gen I to the 3.5 Gen II would be foolish as the changes are substantial.

It seems even with the 3.5 Gen I motor, it was feast or famine. Many were extremely reliable and many were not. I haven't seen a ton of middle ground.

I hope that I got lucky on my 2.7, but it bothers me to know that it may fail at the worst possible time while off-road, perhaps while negotiating a steep incline or decline, and to not have the ability to control the vehicles travel sufficiently to avoid a significantly bad outcome. So far, I have had a nearly problem free experience (probably because it was built on a Thursday), but who knows how long that will last.

I have invested in a flat-tow setup, so at least I can recover it with my F-150 should I need to. Initially, I was planning to put the winch in the Bronco, but now, it's going in the F-150. At least I will be able to hopefully pull the Bronco out whenever she dies a noble death.
what type of flat-tow setup did you go with? I'm planning to do the same thing when my rig get here. Thx

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ticking after turning it off? cooling exhaust parts are known to make a ticking sound as the metal cools and contracts.
Sponsored