Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was considering just doing a battery powered LED and stick it on one of the pillars. It’s not often I need that much lighting.
Good luck on your project!
That's exactly what mine are.
Sponsored

CHALK911

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ram 2500, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is a motion sensitive dome on them. I put a little tiny piece of black photo tape towards the front of it so me or a passenger can’t set them off. Put the clear dome towards the back.

IMG_9709.jpg
could you post pics of them installed please?

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
could you post pics of them installed please?
I posted a video above. I don't think i have any pics. Also, I couldn't open the tailgate and film it by myself. But the lights come on when you open the tailgate.

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Excited to see if you can get these to function with the other interior lights on that overhead switch

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have one more...

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have one more...
Another rad thing about these lights is, they pop right off. I can easily light up my whole engine bay without shadows, or a tent, ar any workspace, and then just put them back in. Velcro. An advantage over a built in hardwired dome lights.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I posted a video above. I don't think i have any pics. Also, I couldn't open the tailgate and film it by myself. But the lights come on when you open the tailgate.
how are they mounted?

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
how are they mounted?
About an inch of Velcro on each side. Don't use too much or they will be hard to remove. Haha. This is a photo of the back of a smaller one I use over the drivers area. The velcro just sticks to the carpet on the MIC roof. If you look at my video, you can see the one over the driver. That one I set to ON or OFF. And, it's so slim (flat) I just leave it on when I remove my roof panels. They store fine.

IMG_9711.jpg

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

About an inch of Velcro on each side. Don't use too much or they will be hard to remove. Haha. This is a photo of the back of a smaller one I use over the drivers area. The velcro just sticks to the carpet on the MIC roof. If you look at my video, you can see the one over the driver. That one I set to ON or OFF. And, it's so slim (flat) I just leave it on when I remove my roof panels. They store fine.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style IMG_9711

So in the back you stuck the soft side of the Velcro on the pillar?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm still sorting out the relay issue to overcome the PWM dome power, but hope to have that resolved in the next couple days (waiting on parts to arrive).

I used these: LED lights

I tucked them up just below the rollbar airbag covers on the B&C pillars.

They fit beautifully in the little recess' on the cross bar cover for additional cargo area coverage.

The difference is remarkable!

I didn't take any progress shots, but I'll update with a couple tips when I get the relay issue sorted.
My only concern is airbag deployment. Obviously you only want them going off once, but that's one of those really important times to have properly deploying airbags which aren't propelling objects around the cabin at a few hundred MPH.

If you've ever been unfortunate enough to see what happens inside a cabin upon impact when things are launched around inside by airbags, it's not pretty. That's how a neighbor lost half of her dog. Half was strewn across her chest and face, the other half was a few cars back having made it out the sunroof (don't allow dogs on your lap while driving, BTW)

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style airbag deployment 3

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style airbag deployment 2

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

These are attached to the pillar covers, not the airbag covers. The bags will deploy as they were designed and these will be out of their way.

I have them wired via a coil (traditional cube) relay off the OEM rear dome light, but it won't latch (aka: doesn't currently function). I got some capacitors in today, but also have a solid state relay (wide trigger voltage range) coming tomorrow. It's possible the capacitor would be enough to smooth the PWM power ripple, but I think the solid state relay is the better way to go.
Darn, I used to think I was pretty handy with car mods
Now I realize I'm not smart enough to wire in a dome light.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Your going to have issues using the PWM signal to power a relay. Been there. The PWM signal is constant 11v. At all times. It will keep your relay always latched.
Yup, gotta admit defeat on this one. Damn light is controlled via canbus. WTF Ford??

Next move is to rig up a light sensor and go that route.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My only concern is airbag deployment. Obviously you only want them going off once, but that's one of those really important times to have properly deploying airbags which aren't propelling objects around the cabin at a few hundred MPH.

If you've ever been unfortunate enough to see what happens inside a cabin upon impact when things are launched around inside by airbags, it's not pretty. That's how a neighbor lost half of her dog. Half was strewn across her chest and face, the other half was a few cars back having made it out the sunroof (don't allow dogs on your lap while driving, BTW)

The lights are bolted to the pillar covers and won't be in the way of anything if/when the bags deploy. I'm very aware of the forces involved when a bag deploys.
Sponsored