MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The classic definition of an SUV was that it was unibody (did you know that?). The Bronco is not (did you know that also?) - so it's not an SUV (I mean, Ford can call it whatever they want, right?). And I'm not going to spit out "SUV" in conversations. It's much longer to say than it is to type. So yeah, I'll call it my truck. And you can call me an idiot. And we will never meet in real life. So I don't care.
So the Bronco was the first to advertise itself as a utility vehicle, and the SJ the first to use SUV in their advertising and they were both body on frame, what are you referring to as the "classic definition"?
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@jubangas and @AK SNO RIDER settle down children. SUVs are BOF hence the shorthand "truck" is perfectly acceptable if someone wishes to use it. Likewise crossovers are unibody and hence the shorthand "car" is perfectly acceptable if one so wishes.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco gets crappy gas mileage for a 4 banger turbo.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Instead of being butt hurt that there’s a 4-door Bronco, maybe the 2-door fans could try being thankful. In today’s world, Ford would never have resurrected the 2-door Bronco alone, so if it weren’t for the 4-door, your beloved 2-door wouldn’t even exist!

So, you’re **** welcome!
THIS.

YOU'RE BELOVED TWO DOOR DOESN'T EXIST WITHOUT THE FOUR DOOR TO PAY FOR IT.

Also the 4 door is better in many offroad situations. There's a reason a lot of hardcore offroad rigs are 4 door or otherwise LWB.
Ford is on track to sell 100,000 Broncos this year and that is with the constraints. Around 40% of orders are 2 door Broncos, so that is 40,000 of them. That is more than they sold of the mustang (31,950). SO, with a little math, you can see that the 2 door would be just fine without the station wagon version being sold.....

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh! I have one! After reading this post, turns out I domt

It's not a unibody. Which is what an SUV is known as typically. Whatever. I don't care. You can find different sources classifying it different ways.
Yep. I worked in the collision repair industry for two decades and cars/crossovers are unibody and trucks are body on frame. The Bronco is not unibody. SUV is suitable Bronco terminology but so is truck. :) It can be both. Suburbans and Expeditions are truck suvs, Traverses and Edges are not. Chevy went soft with their new Blazer and made it unibody.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check out a BL with 33s. I like it way more than the 35s personally.
You’re not wrong. Badlands on 33s looks pretty nice. As far as trail capable there isn’t a great deal of difference in 33s and 35s. Always thought it stupid to rate trails with tire size requirements.

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco is overpriced (except the base model and 2 door up thru big bend). And with so many sold we will all be upside down on them soon. No one wants a second hand luxury off roader
 they want a cheap platform to build from.

welded ring gears is a sin and cost the B street cred. No reason for that in an off road veh.

the head room is crazy- too high. Give me a bit less and a bit more windshield rake and other aero dynamics to make it a bit quieter and cruising MPGs. It’s 2022!
Who is welding ring gears on what???? I missed something.
Why isn’t the capable bumper standard? Or the mod? Just have 1 bumper like the OG did. It could handle a hitch or wench.
Who is welding ring gears on what? I missed something somewhere.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The classic definition of an SUV was that it was unibody (did you know that?). The Bronco is not (did you know that also?) - so it's not an SUV (I mean, Ford can call it whatever they want, right?). And I'm not going to spit out "SUV" in conversations. It's much longer to say than it is to type. So yeah, I'll call it my truck. And you can call me an idiot. And we will never meet in real life. So I don't care.
From Wikipedia: “There is no commonly agreed-upon definition of an SUV and usage of the term varies between countries. Thus, it is "a loose term that traditionally covers a broad range of vehicles with four-wheel drive."[1] Some definitions claim that an SUV must be built on a light truck chassis; however, broader definitions consider any vehicle with off-road design features to be an SUV. A crossover SUV is often defined as an SUV built with a unibody construction (as with passenger cars), however, in many cases, crossovers are simply referred to as SUVs.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. I worked in the collision repair industry for two decades and cars/crossovers are unibody and trucks are body on frame. The Bronco is not unibody. SUV is suitable Bronco terminology but so is truck. :) It can be both. Suburbans and Expeditions are truck suvs, Traverses and Edges are not. Chevy went soft with their new Blazer and made it unibody.
The explorer wasn’t unibody until the fifth generation. It’s always been an SUV. You’re telling me the 4th gen was a truck and 5th was a car?

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy crap the shit I read on here 😂

Real SUVs are body on frame

If it's unibody it's a crossover.
No, a crossover is a vehicle with front wheel drive, or front wheel drive bias, made to look like an SUV - like how the Honda Odyssey became a Pilot.

SUV term became popular in mid 80’s following debut of Bronco II, Chevy Blazer, jeep Cherokee craze. SUV really isn’t defined - it’s a lazy marketing term.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bronco is overpriced (except the base model and 2 door up thru big bend). And with so many sold we will all be upside down on them soon. No one wants a second hand luxury off roader
 they want a cheap platform to build from.

welded ring gears is a sin and cost the B street cred. No reason for that in an off road veh.

the head room is crazy- too high. Give me a bit less and a bit more windshield rake and other aero dynamics to make it a bit quieter and cruising MPGs. It’s 2022!

Why isn’t the capable bumper standard? Or the mod? Just have 1 bumper like the OG did. It could handle a hitch or wench.
Jeep Wrangler sells over 200K yearly and has one of the best resale of any vehicle. I’d expect the Bronco to be similar.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The explorer wasn’t unibody until the fifth generation. It’s always been an SUV. You’re telling me the 4th gen was a truck and 5th was a car?
Yes, to anyone in the collision industry, a body on frame is and can be called a truck. A 4 Runner is a truck SUV, a Highlander is not. A G-Wagon and Land Cruiser can be called trucks in a body shop and nobody will disagree. A Honda Ridgeline is a Pick Up but it’s certainly not a truck.

An SUV can be a truck, or not. A Pick Up that is unibody is not a truck.

Just don’t call a fender a quarter panel, they will think you are clueless, lol.

Last edited:

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First time SUV was used to sell a vehicle was the mid 70's Cherokee