Sponsored

Has anybody actually broken a steering rack? (Beside the guy selling the "fix")

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know there is a lot of talk about broken steering racks on lifted trucks, but has anyone actually broken their rack on here? I'm about to lift my Bronco and will upgrade the tie rods, but I can't remember a single incident of a broken steering rack other than from the guy who sells the fix for the issue. Has anyone else actually had any problems with the steering rack itself?
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not that Iā€™ve heard, but the strong tie rods are just starting to become available.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know there is a lot of talk about broken steering racks on lifted trucks, but has anyone actually broken their rack on here? I'm about to lift my Bronco and will upgrade the tie rods, but I can't remember a single incident of a broken steering rack other than from the guy who sells the fix for the issue. Has anyone else actually had any problems with the steering rack itself?
Haven't heard at all about steering racks....tie rods on the other hand.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There have been posts and video's of multiple people breaking tie rods and one guy early on breaking the entire rack.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel bad. I haven't even broken a tie rod yet.

Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing to keep in mind isā€¦ the guy that sells the fix goes out there with just short of the intent to break. While some people may see that as a bad thing, I see it as a good thing. Heā€™s maxing out the suspension lift, putting on 40s, and doing hard wheeling to accelerate wear. Nothing different than companies doing stuff like accelerated weather testing to see how their product holds up and develop new ones. Especially on things like his stage III upgrade, 99% of us on a lift and big tires arenā€™t likely to see immediate problems if we donā€™t upgrade. If it does come up for us, itā€™ll be over the longer term. How long, thatā€™s the questionā€¦

supposedly the new HOSS 3.0 steering has the stronger rods with the rack being the same just with the bushing already installed.

Last edited:

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing to keep in mind isā€¦ the guy that sells the fix goes out there with just short of the intent to break. While some people may see that as a bad thing, I see it as a good thing. Heā€™s maxing out the suspension lift, putting on 40s, and doing hard wheeling to accelerate wear. Nothing different than companies doing stuff like accelerated weather testing to see how their product holds up and develop new ones. Especially on things like his stage III upgrade, 99% of us on a lift and big tires arenā€™t likely to see immediate problems if we donā€™t upgrade. If it does come up for us, itā€™ll be over the longer term. How long, thatā€™s the questionā€¦

supposedly the new HOSS 3.0 steering has the stronger rods with the rack being the same just with the bushing already installed.
What bushing?

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Rush4th

Base
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I looked into the hoss 3.0, definitely looks more bulletproof, but and it seems like there's way more involved then just bolting it up, so I pulled the trigger on broncbuster.

I put the icon stage 4 on it after I broke a tie rod (very easily) and just had the broncbuster housing and bushing installed. The mechanic said there were metal flakes in the rack so I'm glad I did it before anything happened.

The bronbuster braces were too fat for the icon coilovers so I got the kid chaos ones and will get icon tie rods when available.

It's alotta extra $, but I need the piece of mind that my steering shouldn't be the weak point. Can't wait to find out what the next weak point is gonna be..

NJRoadkill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2.3l Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I'm torn between doing the Bronco buster modifications, or just replacing the entire rack. Kind of waiting for a few more folks to see if they have any luck converting their rig over.

NJRoadkill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2.3l Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven't pulled it apart, at this point I will take some pictures when I swap the new rack in. My bronco is just hiding in the garage.
Watching some of the SEMA 22 coverage I heard Funhaver/RTR was about to release a hydrologic steering system. Iā€™m keeping my ear close to the ground on that, while hoping I donā€™t break that rack after hard outings. šŸ¤ž

My wife has the WT with HOSS 3.0 and itā€™s night and day different in feel. I wish Ford would get their sh!t together and offer the upgraded rack. As far as Iā€™m concerned, if you have a Badlands or Sasquatch package, Ford should swap it for free.
Sponsored