Sponsored

Who should I blame for these POS tires on my new Bronco? Goodyear Ford or both?

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have only yourself to blame, they are called mud tires for a reason. Any and all tires get full of rocks on gravel roads, the difference with these is larger rocks. What did you expect?
OK I am to blame. You are totally wrong all mud tires do not get full of rocks on gravel. And I know for a fact good AT tires will not because I have run many of them like I mentioned BFG, Nitto, Kenda, Falken; I would be happy with any of these tires.
Sponsored

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have only yourself to blame, they are called mud tires for a reason. Any and all tires get full of rocks on gravel roads, the difference with these is larger rocks. What did you expect?
I believe the MT on these particular tires stands for maximum traction not mud tire.

2DR22Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04Cobra, 95Cobra, 17Explorer, 89Bronco!!, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saw someone in the thread said the OEM good year tires were done at 19,000 miles...

Does anyone else have reports to how they are faring mileage wise at 15,000 or 20,000 miles(I haven't yet hit 2000).

I know the thread is about rock chucking and I can agree to them doing so. I just am curious as to if and when replacing them is optimal financially mileage wise.

mark1031

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1966 VW Bus, 1999 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a Jeep in a previous life with Goodyear MTR's on it. For the first couple thousand miles those tires picked up a ton of rocks but then for whatever reason it just stopped. Where I live is a gravel road for a couple hundred yards before I hit the paved road, all that stayed the same but the tires stopped throwing rocks.

Fast forward to getting my Bronco a month ago and couldnt believe that carnage going on with rocks flying everywhere. I got a non-squash badlands with all terrains, really hoping I have the same experience with the Jeep where the rubber gets soft or whatever happens and rocks stop sticking.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the MT on these particular tires stands for maximum traction not mud tire.
This is correct. They are not a mud tire, and Goodyear doesn't advertise them specifically as such. They do say the tread pattern helps eject mud from the tread (which is probably why they also eject rocks so we'll lol!) but they're not an actual "mud tire," in the traditional sense. The whole MT thing is a somewhat disingenuous marketing gimmick.

Sponsored

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Saw someone in the thread said the OEM good year tires were done at 19,000 miles...

Does anyone else have reports to how they are faring mileage wise at 15,000 or 20,000 miles(I haven't yet hit 2000).

I know the thread is about rock chucking and I can agree to them doing so. I just am curious as to if and when replacing them is optimal financially mileage wise.
I have around 6500 miles on mine and they seem to be wearing pretty well. I got my first service/rotation about a month ago and if the wear continues like they have so far I hope to get around 30-35K out of them. I would also be curious as to the "max" mileage someone has gotten out of the GY MT.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The whole MT thing is a somewhat disingenuous marketing gimmick.
Exactly this...

The *Maximum Traction* in the marketing of this tire gives Ford the cover to market their Sasquatch trim with a "MT" tire. Truth is this is a light weight tire closer to 34" that squeaks out better MPG's while giving the customer a quiet ride on the road.

For most consumers who will never off-road this is a great option. They can tell everyone at the watercooler they got the Bronco with "35 inch tires" but wouldn't actually tolerate commuting on a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers.

I think these GY's get flack on this forum because most of you bought the Sasquatch package to actually use it. However, Ford knows who they are selling most of these Broncos to water cooler guy and figure you all will go out and buy new tires regardless.

Edit: The stock Badlands has the KO2 because Ford knows people are cross-shopping with a Rubicon. It's an easy point of parity for someone who's not familiar with the mechanical differences.

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I was talking to a local guy with Black Diamond SAS and he vacationed and off roaded with his and he said GY were like 80% gone at 20K. He liked the tire but just did not last long.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It seems like factory tires (when they come to performance or what not) do not last as long as Aftermarket tires. I've had nothing but Sporty vehicles since 1998 till I got my Bronco and the performance tires where trashed with just normal driving after 20-30K miles.

I've been using CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS on my old 2006 Mustang GT and my 2013 Taurus SHO and was able to get 40K out of a set of tires with no problems.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly this...

The *Maximum Traction* in the marketing of this tire gives Ford the cover to market their Sasquatch trim with a "MT" tire. Truth is this is a light weight tire closer to 34" that squeaks out better MPG's while giving the customer a quiet ride on the road.

For most consumers who will never off-road this is a great option. They can tell everyone at the watercooler they got the Bronco with "35 inch tires" but wouldn't actually tolerate commuting on a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers.

I think these GY's get flack on this forum because most of you bought the Sasquatch package to actually use it. However, Ford knows who they are selling most of these Broncos to water cooler guy and figure you all will go out and buy new tires regardless.

Edit: The stock Badlands has the KO2 because Ford knows people are cross-shopping with a Rubicon. It's an easy point of parity for someone who's not familiar with the mechanical differences.
Absolutely 100% agree on every point lol! I love the KO2s on my non-squatch badlands, and so far I've kept up with all the sqatch boys so its a non-issue being 33s. I will upgrade to 35s when these run out, but I have run KO2s on several of my other rigs and have had 0 problems with them. Only other tire I have run was a Cooper Discoverer STT which was an amazing tire as well. When I replace these will probably go with the Nittos everybody is using these days though.

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The GY on my SAS really suck! I live down on the farm in Iowa and I have 3/4 mile of gravel road I picked new Bronco up and drove home. These pictures are from less than one mile on gravel road; each tire has over 100 rocks stuck in the tread. The tires are terrible this should not happen; this has to be bad engineering in tread design. WHO SHOULD I BLAME FOR THESE POS TIRES ON MY NEW BRONCO? GOODYEAR? FORD? OR BOTH?

I have had many F150 and SUV have used BFG, Falken, NItto, Bridgestone and none of these tires would pickup rocks. Yes maybe 1 or 2 or a few but not hundreds of rocks! Ford did you drive pre production Broncos on gravel with these tires? If you did and approved these tires you better get your heads examined!

Ford please send me a check now so I can replace them. Message me I will give you my address to send check to.

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
Just drive really fast. they'll come out

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After driving a long gravel road for a youth camp last summer, we were flinging rocks on the freeway for 50 miles on the way home. While I cringed at the sound of every rock pinging off my underbody, I was just hoping not to crack any windshields behind me. Since I've never owned an offroad vehicle, I just assumed it was the nature of the beast.

2DR22Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04Cobra, 95Cobra, 17Explorer, 89Bronco!!, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow 20,000 miles lifespan is a little quicker end than I was thinking they would be (especially doing a 5 tire rotation).

In a way I am happy that I will be getting a different tire quicker, but my wallet will not be as happy with it. I think I will be watching the black Friday BFG ads.........

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Vandy

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These particular tires look like they lack the steps between the treaded studs. That helps to stop rocks from squishing in. Whenever I get my sas, I'll burn up those tires and replace with Wildpeaks or something. But yeah, would be nice if ford offered an all terrain option on sas instead of just a M/T

SLCBronco

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just rolled over 30k with them and they still have a lot of life in them. Most of that mileage was highway with a little off-roading.
Sponsored