Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

lmao, that's the coolest most useless thing I will see today
I know, huh. It really is...

But is it totally useless? No one can say they walked in front of your EV because they didn't hear it coming. And the smiles per mile hearing a Mustang GT from outside of the rear of your car, not piped into the speakers is almost priceless.

The confused look of joe and jane public would be fun too.
Sponsored

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the 6G but Ford go this direction with the 7G. Hire the whoever did these renders.
16E66580-ED4C-4589-9DFE-6C4103377032.jpeg
Yikes

I'll be in for a PHEV the second one is available.

As for EV, so many haters and so many enthusiasts.

I can't wait for my EV, here is my use case, and why I have a Silverado EV reservation in.

• Silverado EV estimated range is 400 miles, lets say that's only 300 miles.
  • I drive an average of 20 miles a day which in my bronco means I only have to fill up about every week and a half. With an EV I'll be able to charge at home.
  • At $3.75/gal in Oregon that's $78/tank. My cost per kw/h in Portland OR is $0.068 (6.8 cents) With a full charge silverado EV will be $13.60 with the optional long range 200kwh battery (a tesla model 3 with it's 50kwh battery would only be $3.40) I'm saving 83% on energy costs
  • I don't roadtrip frequently, maybe once a year. The silverado EV can charge 80% in 44 minutes. I don't mind stopping for 44 minutes to eat and use the bathroom every 5 hours of driving. (I already do)
  • The most I tow is 900 pounds, would be negligible. I'm thinking of getting a 4,000 pound camper, but I'm within 100 miles of any place I'd take it. I have no desire to travel hundreds of miles for fun regularly lol
  • The incredibly low floors, frunk, and ability to tailgate with power for things like my trager is going to be equally awesome for football games as it is to hauling things to and from home depot :)
  • Power doesn't go out often here. Maybe it goes out for a few hours once a year. What are the chances I wouldn't have a charge during an outage, even for any weather event we'd have fair warning. I'd charge up before. And even if I got caught with no power and no charge where the hell would I go? Everything else is closed lol. If anything I could use my vehicle to temporarily power what I needed. It's a trade off I guess, but for 83% energy savings I'll take the 'risk' of no power lol
  • I generally only keep vehicles for an average of 2 years before I move to the next. with a 10 year battery warranty I have no issues with "battery replacement".
  • I hate how super large vehicles just feel like they are leaking money everytime you gas the pedal and press the brake. They just feel so bulky, inefficient, and all the fluid changes are quite annoying. Don't get me wrong I'm an equal opportunity gear head. I have a 2022 KTM Super Duke R Evo, 2017 KTM RC390, Manual BMW 335i coupe, Yamaha Dirt Bike, 2022 Seadoo RXP-300hp Supercharged jet ski, 2.7 Bronco Auto, 2015 Toyota tacoma double cab and I can't wait to finally have an EV.
I fully understand people make a living with their trucks. But I feel a lot of people fail to recognize that in the present time, 2022. Most trucks are used EXACTLY how I will be using my future truck. It's why the wait list for EVs are months and in some cases years long despite some people's irrational viewpoints on how they think everyone should feel about EVs. It's like they're trying to convince themselves lol

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you read that?

That is not a solution, it significantly reduces the life of the battery once ones are made that could even handle it. There is literally nothing new in the concept there. It has always been the case for any type of charging to increase the power going in you need it cooler... but to be able to push that many electrons that fast you need it more than just cool. The substrate cannot handle it for long or repeated cycles.

With all that said, that literally proves my point. Battery technology has about reached it's point, this is a refinement but at a cost... the life of the battery. This is not hard concept.

Can it help bridge the use gap where that type of charging is used once in a while for a battery car? Absolutely, that may be it's best and only use for normal people. You have your battery car for light commute driving where you charge it normally but then if you are travelling you use the cold chargers to charge the battery faster while you go inside to use the bathroom. I could see that. But this still is not a magic battery which would be needed to have the same use and options of a gas or hybrid car.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yikes

I'll be in for a PHEV the second one is available.

As for EV, so many haters and so many enthusiasts.

I can't wait for my EV, here is my use case, and why I have a Silverado EV reservation in.

• Silverado EV estimated range is 400 miles, lets say that's only 300 miles.
  • I drive an average of 20 miles a day which in my bronco means I only have to fill up about every week and a half. With an EV I'll be able to charge at home.
  • At $3.75/gal in Oregon that's $78/tank. My cost per kw/h in Portland OR is $0.68 With a full charge silverado EV will be $13.60 with the optional long range 200kwh battery (a tesla model 3 with it's 50kwh battery would only be $3.40) I'm saving 83% on energy costs
  • I don't roadtrip frequently, maybe once a year. The silverado EV can charge 80% in 44 minutes. I don't mind stopping for 44 minutes to eat and use the bathroom every 5 hours of driving. (I already do)
  • The most I tow is 900 pounds, would be negligible. I'm thinking of getting a 4,000 pound camper, but I'm within 100 miles of any place I'd take it. I have no desire to travel hundreds of miles for fun regularly lol
  • The incredibly low floors, frunk, and ability to tailgate with power for things like my trager is going to be equally awesome for football games as it is to hauling things to and from home depot :)
  • Power doesn't go out often here. Maybe it goes out for a few hours once a year. What are the chances I wouldn't have a charge during an outage, even for any weather event we'd have fair warning. I'd charge up before. And even if I got caught with no power and no charge where the hell would I go? Everything else is closed lol. If anything I could use my vehicle to temporarily power what I needed. It's a trade off I guess, but for 83% energy savings I'll take the 'risk' of no power lol
  • I generally only keep vehicles for an average of 2 years before I move to the next. with a 10 year battery warranty I have no issues with "battery replacement".
  • I hate how super large vehicles just feel like they are leaking money everytime you gas the pedal and press the brake. They just feel so bulky, inefficient, and all the fluid changes are quite annoying. Don't get me wrong I'm an equal opportunity gear head. I have a 2022 KTM Super Duke R Evo, 2017 KTM RC390, Manual BMW 335i coupe, Yamaha Dirt Bike, 2022 Seadoo RXP-300hp Supercharged jet ski, 2.7 Bronco Auto, 2015 Toyota tacoma double cab and I can't wait to finally have an EV.
I fully understand people make a living with their trucks. But I feel a lot of people fail to recognize that in the present time, 2022. Most trucks are used EXACTLY how I will be using my future truck. It's why the wait list for EVs are months and in some cases years long despite some people's irrational viewpoints on how they think everyone should feel about EVs. It's like they're trying to convince themselves lol
People in this forum like @PrepVet don't want your disrupting facts and logical thinking here! :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

dwfern

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you read that?

That is not a solution, it significantly reduces the life of the battery once ones are made that could even handle it. There is literally nothing new in the concept there. It has always been the case for any type of charging to increase the power going in you need it cooler... but to be able to push that many electrons that fast you need it more than just cool. The substrate cannot handle it for long or repeated cycles.

With all that said, that literally proves my point. Battery technology has about reached it's point, this is a refinement but at a cost... the life of the battery. This is not hard concept.

Can it help bridge the use gap where that type of charging is used once in a while for a battery car? Absolutely, that may be it's best and only use for normal people. You have your battery car for light commute driving where you charge it normally but then if you are travelling you use the cold chargers to charge the battery faster while you go inside to use the bathroom. I could see that. But this still is not a magic battery which would be needed to have the same use and options of a gas or hybrid car.

As you mention... it is a "bridge to the gap" as all EV tech improves.

Also do we know much does it reduce the battery life? If someone only used this type of charging would the expected battery life drop 10%, 50% 80%? Which then equates to how many years? The majority of Americans own their vehicles less than 5 years... if they lease like I would with an EV I am sure it is less time of ownership.

Point being if the fast charging reduces the life of the battery from 10 years to 5 years... does it matter since most people would be trading in at that time.

With the amount of investment from all OEMs EVs are not going away any time soon. Haters can drink their Haterade and eat their Haterchips and continue to by ICE vehicles... because ICE vehicles are not going away any time soon either.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Also do we know much does it reduce the battery life? If someone only used this type of charging would the expected battery life drop 10%, 50% 80%? Which then equates to how many years? The majority of Americans own their vehicles less than 5 years... if they lease like I would with an EV I am sure it is less time of ownership.

Point being if the fast charging reduces the life of the battery from 10 years to 5 years... does it matter since most people would be trading in at that time.

With the amount of investment from all OEMs EVs are not going away any time soon. Haters can drink their Haterade and eat their Haterchips and continue to by ICE vehicles... because ICE vehicles are not going away any time soon either.
Per law, manufacturers have to warrant their batteries for 8 years/100k miles (10 years/150k miles for some States), regardless of how it's charged.
Nobody should just have to replace a battery at 5 years.

mclaffer

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla model 3 and Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Assuming the technology continues to improve at its current pace, the EV outlined here has a good chance to be my current Bronco replacement in 5-6 years. I own both an EV and Bronco currently and adore both for different reasons.
same here.... have both and agree the battery technology will continue to improve tremendously by 2029

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess I should put my reservation in now. 2030 will be here before you know it, or at least it will be here before my current reservation actually gets filled, or so it feels. :)

On another note I agree with those wondering about a hybrid. Hope they make that happen.

Sponsored

dwfern

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Per law, manufacturers have to warrant their batteries for 8 years/100k miles (10 years/150k miles for some States), regardless of how it's charged.
They shouldn't have to, but going to the point of ultra fast charging decreasing battery life... if it drops it in half, that would still be 4 years in worst case scenario.

Guess my overall point is there will be significant tech improvements and changes in all things EV... and not just focused on the battery itself, but other aspects that will make EVs more practical and adoptable by the masses.

Folks don't need to set fire to the place just yet because it is not like OEMs or the government is outlawing the purchase and ownership of ICE vehicles. When OEMs stop making ICE all together... that will be the breaking point.

EVs are a new revenue stream and OEMs in typical OEM fashion are racing to be the top revenue generator in this space.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

You are literally ignoring reality however. Because something may help it does not solve it. There is no solution until a magic battery is created. And there is no physical nor scientific basis for one. I will toss in "yet" for y'all but it would take a fundamental change in how batteries work. Basic stuff.

The hard headed people who seem to think electric is viable for everyone just cannot accept reality. Batteries cannot do what they hope they can do. It is not about battery technology needing to progress more, it is about as far as it can go. Just look at the industry. I see some people saying they would never own an electric car and that's good for them. Others claim they theirs. Again good for them. For the vast majority of drivers an all electric car is fine for short commuting and such. Will that new maybe technology help bridge it with infrequent use? Absolutely but it does not solve the fundamental problem with batteries. They wear out, and faster the harder/fast you charge them. They are not repairable nor rebuildable. They are junk. But that is not directly related to the viability of them as true replacement to gas cars as an only car.

Having all kinds of choices is great. Some work for some people and some not at all for others. Hell this site is exactly all about that. All of people would find a Bronco as all but useless or unneeded for their uses. Yet here we are. I hope we see gas, hybrid, fuel cell and electric cars and Bronco models. I have been hoping for a hybrid Bronco for a while but Ford doesn't seem interested in one. Can't say I blame them, they have enough demand without it currently.

Just go back and read what has been said here. I am correct. :)

The government should not be in the business of telling manufacturers what their warranty should be. If Teslyota makes a battery that they feel under normal usage can be warrantied for 10 years they should do it, if they feel only 3, then do that. It is up to the person buying it to decide what is important to them. ;)

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
…
  • At $3.75/gal in Oregon that's $78/tank. My cost per kw/h in Portland OR is $0.68 With a full charge silverado EV will be $13.60 with the optional long range 200kwh battery (a tesla model 3 with it's 50kwh battery would only be $3.40) I'm saving 83% on energy costs
Is there a typo somewhere? $.68 kw/h times 200kw battery is $136 to fill up the silverado ev.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

but to be able to push that many electrons that fast you need it more than just cool. The substrate cannot handle it for long or repeated cycles.
Very true and that's just physics.

And you've posted that a few times, but there is one flaw in your position, EVs as used by all the posters above have one thing in common, they all charge at night. No need for a fast charge because they have all night while they sleep; and it's cheaper too. If a very high majority charge at home at night and don't drive more than their car's range (250-300+ miles?) then the fast charge isn't needed and battery life due to that, only applies to a very small percentage of "average daily drivers" and doesn't apply to a vast majority of commuters.

Are you making that a major point of the argument when it simply isn't the need of the end user?

Fast charging isn't necessary for most, just a reasonable charge time and range. Cars and trucks getting 300 plus miles per charge handles most of the average commuters weekly driving needs. And a lot of people drive a different vehicle to work and then have a tow, camping or wheeling/party rig for the weekends.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People in this forum like @PrepVet don't want your disrupting facts and logical thinking here! :ROFLMAO:
Is there a typo somewhere? $.68 kw/h times 200kw battery is $136 to fill up the silverado ev.
Sorry 6.8 cents per kwh $0.068. That's if I don't change to 'time of use' prcing which charges less at night and more during the day. I'd have to figure out the math, but off peak would be only $0.043 or 4.3 cents per kw/h.
Sponsored