Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

***UPDATE***

Defective bolts have been replaced (18 of them), with the exception of one bolt, which was so poorly cross-threaded that I just told them to remove it and keep it empty. Otherwise, I would have needed to buy a whole new wheel. The excellent team at Maxwell Ford helped me get all the bolts flush again against each beauty ring. I may explore some other options to fix the last missing bolt with some of the advice I got earlier on this thread, but for now, I am happy.

Shout out to B Miller for his post and advice on what to do. I had to buy the bolts from the dealer, but because I was always calm and polite, they knocked off 50% of the total cost of parts needed to get the job done. Luckily, I had so many Ford Pass points I didn't pay a dime. Calling Ford was a dead end. The warranty does not cover anything wheel-related, and there is no way for me to prove this was a manufacturing defect.

Some people here have had ZERO issues removing and painting their beauty rings - and I say kudos to you - I'm certainly jealous. However, being that I carefully used hand tools like many other users on this forum, I am still convinced it was more of a manufacturing issue than an owner error. All that said, I'm putting this to rest - I may replace the wheels one day, regardless, so I didn't feel the need to raise hell. But I still encourage everyone to be EXTRA careful before removing these rings. (Or just leave it be - wish I had ;))

Happy New Year, Folks!

I thought I would warn some folks in case they want to do this. Please don't do what I did.

About 7 months back, I removed all five beauty rings from my 2Dr Badlands (33" Optional Wheels).

I took them off to plastidip the rings to see what the color would look like if they were straight black, which I ended up loving.

The problem was the damn bolts were awful to remove. Several were horribly cross-threaded. Just don't remove them. I stripped two screws, and two of them were "supposedly" not screwed in correctly onto one of the wheels when I re-installed the beauty rings (even though I had the proper bit/torque wrench, etc. (and Ford won't fix them under warranty).

The dealer needs 18 new screws and a NEW WHEEL to fix it for a whopping $3500! Which I laughed at. Anyways, I wanted to get new wheels one day, so - I guess that day is today - but don't mess with them. I still feel the threads were done poorly by the manufacturer, which shouldn't fall on the customer to replace. Removing beauty rings should not be something this challenging for any consumer. But because I pastidipped them and did it myself, I am at fault. Even though several of the bolts were obviously cross-threaded, and poorly constructed.

Anyways, save yourself the trouble. Don't remove them. I'm keeping mine as is, missing a screw, etc. But that was a painful lesson to learn. I'm still calling Ford to raise hell on the threading issue, but I doubt I will have much luck.

Ford Bronco PSA: Beauty Ring Bolts -- Removal Issues & Replacement Cost - BE AWARE! 67252437845__F3A45A4F-C8BB-4B41-96B9-DDA2F26518C2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2006 F250, Ford 2023 Bronco Badsquatch w/ Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it just the threads in the rim? If so what about running a tap to clean them up and getting a new bolt.

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the black as well but several people have mentioned the threads getting messed up, strippin screws and the screws being threaded wrong from the factory. Seems beauty rings/bead locks are an area not to mess with.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is it just the threads in the rim? If so what about running a tap to clean them up and getting a new bolt.
I was about to say this.

I would wait to hear more from Ford. But that's definitely your best option. Die kits are cheap, just be careful and use loctite on the offending hole if it ends up being a tad loose instead of torquing it down. I'm sure most mechanics shops would be willing to do it too. And cheaply.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought Sasquatch takeoffs specifically to put real beadlock rings on them so leaving them alone isn't an option. Hopefully I won't have too many messed up ones.

Sponsored

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2006 F250, Ford 2023 Bronco Badsquatch w/ Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen a lot of chatter about this problem. Haven't messed with mine yet but if I remove them good to know to take it easy and be careful.

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found this thread here on a similar issue a Bronco 6G user was having.

Clearly, this is not an isolated incident, I just hope I can convince my dealer to work with me on this one with Ford. :(

adampdx

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought I would warn some folks in case they want to do this. Please don't do what I did.

About 7 months back, I removed all five beauty rings from my 2Dr Badlands (33" Optional Wheels).

I took them off to plastidip the rings to see what the color would look like if they were straight black, which I ended up loving.

The problem was the damn bolts were awful to remove. Several were horribly cross-threaded. Just don't remove them. I stripped two screws, and two of them were "supposedly" not screwed in correctly onto one of the wheels when I re-installed the beauty rings (even though I had the proper bit/torque wrench, etc. (and Ford won't fix them under warranty).

The dealer needs 18 new screws and a NEW WHEEL to fix it for a whopping $3500! Which I laughed at. Anyways, I wanted to get new wheels one day, so - I guess that day is today - but don't mess with them. I still feel the threads were done poorly by the manufacturer, which shouldn't fall on the customer to replace. Removing beauty rings should not be something this challenging for any consumer. But because I pastidipped them and did it myself, I am at fault. Even though several of the bolts were obviously cross-threaded, and poorly constructed.

Anyways, save yourself the trouble. Don't remove them. I'm keeping mine as is, missing a screw, etc. But that was a painful lesson to learn. I'm still calling Ford to raise hell on the threading issue, but I doubt I will have much luck.

View attachment 439304
I had the same issue removing my Sas rings for paint last August. I stripped 2. I ended up rotating the trim ring to offset the striped holes and grabbed moved 2 screws from the spare.

It sucks but I plan on cleaning it up with a tap and die set and should be good to go.

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently saw a you tube video with a SAS bronco that had the same problem.

This is really crappy to hear. It will be easy for Ford to blame the owner, unless you can get the dealership to remove and reinstall the rings when wanted.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Problem is stainless bolts galling the threads on installation. Only way to get those suckers out is to drill the bolt out.
IIRC the bolts are TP40 and if you bugger the head, just use a regular T45 socket and hammer it into the head and then use and impact wrench to easily remove the bolt. (ask me how I know)

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My advice is to buy some new screws and take the rim to a machinist, show them what you have. Fixing threads can be an easy task for those who are experienced. There are a variety of methods to repair threads.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Problem is stainless bolts galling the threads on installation. Only way to get those suckers out is to drill the bolt out.
^^^ This.

Mikehoncho

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Took mine off to paint. Zero issues whatsoever, for what it’s worth. Did it by hand to ensure nothing cross threaded. Was warned against using an impact. I also took the time to remove the yellow factory thread lock and blow out any dried pieces after I removed the bolts.
Sponsored