First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right...but if you look at the pic what is missing? Coilover mounts...they must be on top. Guessing this is how the race trucks are set up as well...portal the IFS front, lift the SRA rear using traditional methods. 2 portal boxes=1/2 the weight and drag of 4. Makes sense to me now
Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right...but if you look at the pic what is missing? Coilover mounts...they must be on top. Guessing this is how the race trucks are set up as well...portal the IFS front, lift the SRA rear using traditional methods. 2 portal boxes=1/2 the weight and drag of 4. Makes sense to me now
The coilovers are mounted up in the fender wells. The wide rear axle along with the new fenders made it possible with out cutting into the rear cargo area. Some one posted the original build from the SEMA show a few months back.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Isn't the exhaust going to cook the fluid in it? It looks like it is right up against the exhaust.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, that's what I meant by there wouldn't be much room. It looks like the mounts are at least as high as the links if not more so. If that was a stock axle and coilover, you'd be getting a ton of lift sort of like a spring over conversion. That gives you ride height and tire clearance, wheel travel stays the same but in a lower position relative to frame. I would imagine they also added a shock hoop for longer coilovers to recoup some of that lost up travel. My guess is they had a particular amount of wheel travel in mind, found a coilover length to achieve that, fabbed up a shock tower as high as they possibly could, and located the lower mount on the axle to get it where they wanted it at full compression.

Seems like SS Bronco beat me to it lol

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, that's what I meant by there wouldn't be much room. It looks like the mounts are at least as high as the links if not more so. If that was a stock axle and coilover, you'd be getting a ton of lift sort of like a spring over conversion. That gives you ride height and tire clearance, wheel travel stays the same but in a lower position relative to frame. I would imagine they also added a shock hoop for longer coilovers to recoup some of that lost up travel. My guess is they had a particular amount of wheel travel in mind, found a coilover length to achieve that, fabbed up a shock tower as high as they possibly could, and located the lower mount on the axle to get it where they wanted it at full compression.

Seems like SS Bronco beat me to it lol
I'm learning! I see now why they just use front portals. If you plan your build around a custom rear it can all work! Def can see doing something similar down the road!

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm learning! I see now why they just use front portals. If you plan your build around a custom rear it can all work! Def can see doing something similar down the road!
If money weren't an issue, I'd still run portals on the rear. I believe the 4600 Broncos were running rear portals with the OEM-ish low coilover mounts. They might hang pretty low but they're really close to the tire and don't offer up a whole lot of rock anchor tendencies like a low diff would.

What I don't know is what those portals sound like on the highway...if it's driven on the street a lot, it might just make more sense to leave the rear a solid axle and the portals undriven on the front for a little more longevity, I dunno, we can only guess as they're still mythical objects to us peasants right now LOL

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One stick does the front output (high, low,neutral)
And one does the rear output (high,low, neutral)
I run a 5-1 atlas in my 68. Love it.
Yep. Loved my 5:1 Atlas in my XJ. At 80:1 never had to touch the brakes 🤠

The real question I would like to know is if they have/had any dash lights & how they got around them :unsure:. if I ever have any trouble with the stock unit I would be looking hard at an Atlas to get a true front dig & the ability to run 2 Low 🤠.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep. Loved my 5:1 Atlas in my XJ. At 80:1 never had to touch the brakes 🤠

The real question I would like to know is if they have/had any dash lights & how they got around them :unsure:. if I ever have any trouble with the stock unit I would be looking hard at an Atlas to get a true front dig & the ability to run 2 Low 🤠.
I can just about guarantee they had a lot of them, potentially accompanied with chimes and warming messages flashing as well. The transfer case is absolutely integrated with the brains of the Bronco, and removing the t-case won't go unnoticed. Fortunately those guys had the support of Ford to get rid of those issues, but I don't think we're going to have it quite as easily. Might be able to fool the Bronco by keeping some dummy electronics hooked up to fool it into thinking there's still a t-case, not sure if that would work. If it wasn't an issue, I'd toss one in even if my stock unit was still in great shape. I'd probably do something about the shifters though, maybe install a few linear actuators instead of sticks and add some 3 position switches to operate them. Hardly any room for my legs as it is, would be nice to keep it all underneath the body.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can just about guarantee they had a lot of them, potentially accompanied with chimes and warming messages flashing as well. The transfer case is absolutely integrated with the brains of the Bronco, and removing the t-case won't go unnoticed. Fortunately those guys had the support of Ford to get rid of those issues, but I don't think we're going to have it quite as easily. Might be able to fool the Bronco by keeping some dummy electronics hooked up to fool it into thinking there's still a t-case, not sure if that would work. If it wasn't an issue, I'd toss one in even if my stock unit was still in great shape. I'd probably do something about the shifters though, maybe install a few linear actuators instead of sticks and add some 3 position switches to operate them. Hardly any room for my legs as it is, would be nice to keep it all underneath the body.
Agreed on the shifting of the atlas

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figured as much, but I'm wondering if just keeping the shift motor might be enough to fool the system. Also where does the bronco get it's speedo info from? The wheel sensors??? I know traditionally it use to be from the transfer case.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I figured as much, but I'm wondering if just keeping the shift motor might be enough to fool the system. Also where does the bronco get it's speedo info from? The wheel sensors??? I know traditionally it use to be from the transfer case.
On MT broncos there is no VSS of any kind...all vehicle speed data is from ABS over CAN. AT has ISS/OSS as required by OBD standards, but doubt the computer uses them to calculate vehicle speed

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On MT broncos there is no VSS of any kind...all vehicle speed data is from ABS over CAN. AT has ISS/OSS as required by OBD standards, but doubt the computer uses them to calculate vehicle speed
went and looked it up its on the 10R60 for the autos.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's where I think there could potentially be some trouble....the vehicle can monitor output shaft speed and wheel speed, so if it thinks the t-case is in a 3:1, but it's actually in a 5:1, the two speeds aren't going to match what it expects to see. Maybe it doesn't care, who knows.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's where I think there could potentially be some trouble....the vehicle can monitor output shaft speed and wheel speed, so if it thinks the t-case is in a 3:1, but it's actually in a 5:1, the two speeds aren't going to match what it expects to see. Maybe it doesn't care, who knows.
it can do that anyway just off engine rpm, the iss/oss for auto trans is for OBD compliance (starting in 1996 MY AT has to be able to set codes for slippage in AT). MT doesn't have this requirement under OBD. So long as the reduction happens post trans output shaft the calculated auto trans ratio for any given gear should still be correct, so no check engine light, but the AWD module is gonna be clueless. May be able to simply eliminate the AWD module entirely, but that's gonna take off-reservation programming that I definitely have no clue how to do.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Come on guys, somebody's got to be linked in with Loren for the scoop. Didn't some of you wheel with him a couple weeks ago 😁
Sponsored