First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The simple fact that is made in a one-piece and not a panel configuration, also has a heavier texture, whether you want to say it is a popcorn ceiling is an opinion and not a fact, the interior and headliner are better, even in pictures, these things all put it line than being a better top than the OEM version. If the OEM version was of such superior quality, then you would not have people on their 2nd and 3rd tops.

I would not judge one ill-fated painted top on the entirety of what the company quality of the top will be. While looking at Ford's quality, the facts speak for themselves in how MIC top has been done.
I wasn't judging it based on the chip in the top. But I was judging that they let that top leave their factory in that condition (i.e., the poor finish around the window as originally discussed). But that heavy texture is an easy way to mask other imperfections in the manufacturing process.

Yes, clearly there are those who have had issues with their OEM hard tops. My only issue is that I couldn't get it in white. I believe that the OEM hard top issues were mostly in the beginning and have reduced over time such that I'll bet they are rare and what we hear is the amplification of the uncommon issues, much like this Anderson top is getting a lot of negative attention.

My pockets aren't deep enough to shell out large sums, as when I look at mine (or when anyone else does), one can't really tell what it's made out of. And as long as mine does the job, neither do I care. I would be interested in some real tests about noise levels, though in my experience, the headliner isn't going to be any real factor there. It's the noise coming between the panels from outside that is most significant. I played around with some foam cords and got confirmation on that. But then again, maybe since I have the OEM headliner, that's already cutting out other sources of noise and the wind is all I have left to mitigate.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Busyhands

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What metric is ā€˜betterā€™ when you keep stating these facts

I mean I donā€™t look at the interior of my hardtop, I donā€™t sit or lay on it or run my hands on it. So Iā€™m not sure what ā€˜betterā€™ even means. And then a designer headliner? Is it quieter? More comfortable to sit on ? Run your hands on? What metric is it better. Athletics are a metric. Is that what you mean?

granted I have limited experience with interior modifications limited to first hand installation of:
Jute
Closed cell foam
Open cell foam
Canvas hesdliners
Spray sound deadening
Stick on sound deadening

including separation of panels and double layering firewalls with fire retardant and sound deadening

so I am asking what comparisons have been done, or is this just visual?
It is aesthetically superior. If you donā€™t care about aesthetics I guess thatā€™s not a big deal for you.

As for measurables, like sound, I would love it if someone did a comparison between these and the MIC tops. Based on my first hand inspection of them side by side Iā€™d bet good money the Anderson is quieter. The liner on MIC looks like a rug pad, and the AC is thick cross stitched leather like material that has a significant padding.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What metric is ā€˜betterā€™ when you keep stating these facts

I mean I donā€™t look at the interior of my hardtop, I donā€™t sit or lay on it or run my hands on it. So Iā€™m not sure what ā€˜betterā€™ even means. And then a designer headliner? Is it quieter? More comfortable to sit on ? Run your hands on? What metric is it better. Athletics are a metric. Is that what you mean?

granted I have limited experience with interior modifications limited to first hand installation of:
Jute
Closed cell foam
Open cell foam
Canvas hesdliners
Spray sound deadening
Stick on sound deadening

including separation of panels and double layering firewalls with fire retardant and sound deadening

so I am asking what comparisons have been done, or is this just visual?
I think in a world where one could order a Bronco without a top and choose, a good case could be made for a top like this, particularly if the dollar cost was incremental.

Sometimes people get hung up on having the best of something and consider anything less substandard. A lot has been said about the alleged inferiority of the OEM top materials, but as you are asking, if it does the job, what is inferior about it? Now, if this top substantially reduced interior sound levels (particularly wind noise), that could make a good case. But it would also have to do so in a way that couldn't be done DIY on the OEM top to the same or nearly the same effect.

Loesch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just skimming posts here but in my opinion this a perfect lesson on why OEM parts are usually better quality even if that quality isn't perfect. Rarely does the aftermarket make something better. The only aftermarket parts worth buying are those that offer something the OEM's either don't, or can't make due to stupid government regulations.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is aesthetically superior. If you donā€™t care about aesthetics I guess thatā€™s not a big deal for you.

As for measurables, like sound, I would love it if someone did a comparison between these and the MIC tops. Based on my first hand inspection of them side by side Iā€™d bet good money the Anderson is quieter. The liner on MIC looks like a rug pad, and the AC is thick cross stitched leather like material that has a significant padding.
But sound reductions isnā€™t increased by aesthetics, is it? I mean Iā€™ll re-state my first hand experience at different products and implementations

I mean the guys doing the entire interior arenā€™t getting earth shattering results but I guess a quilted leather pad could be the missing piece

Sponsored
OP
OP

Busyhands

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But sound reductions isnā€™t increased by aesthetics, is it? I mean Iā€™ll re-state my first hand experience at different products and implementations

I mean the guys doing the entire interior arenā€™t getting earth shattering results but I guess a quilted leather pad could be the missing piece
Look Iā€™ll be honest, if I could go back in time and choose to wait for the hard top instead of this one, I would. But the white look and the aesthetics of the liner are the only consolations I have. Especially after the very poor experience I had with the middle man.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look Iā€™ll be honest, if I could go back in time and choose to wait for the hard top instead of this one, I would. But the white look and the aesthetics of the liner are the only consolations I have. Especially after the very poor experience I had with the middle man.
I feel your frustrationā€¦ but its nothing compared to how the armadillo top people are going to feelā€¦.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel your frustrationā€¦ but its nothing compared to how the armadillo top people are going to feelā€¦.
Oh how so? What information do you have? Do tell......

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that would be wise, just inspect throughly before you accept delivery from them. Hopefully with your primer order you wonā€™t have my issues. FWIW they had a black one in which seemed to not have any issues with flaws.
Thanks will do. And sorry there were some issues with the finish and install on yours man.

First issue Iā€™ve heard with any of the AC tops that have been delivered, but I def hope yours gets taken care of at no cost to you in the end

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

as far as "denying" the receipt, OP ordered in April and just got it at the end of November. That's 7 months. Anderson is stating they're closer to 9 months now. Would anyone really want to wait additional time? Maybe Anderson moves him to the front of the line to repair/replace, but realistically that's till 2 months out.

And if Ford had done this from the get go, the after market wouldn't have the opportunity. If Ford had done a color, or a white top on all models people would've gladly done it. Instead Ford said no, and then did it for the Heritage only, and you still can't buy a factory top. You can't walk into a dealership, or even a 3rd party and ask them to order you a top. So if you took delivery of a soft top with the hard top kit in the hopes that Ford would deliver a hard top later as they said...well you got bamboozled. If you got a soft top, and decided later that you wanted a hard top, you have no course of action but to go with a 3rd party. And so far, IMO, the Anderson one looks the best. ADV with their slant doesn't appeal to me, I was hoping Armadillo would be good, but both their styles are still slant back. Anderson really is the best looking top, and available in white IMO...IMO. YMMV.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@SubmarineNuke: Armadillo's square back is a little more square. It follows the lines the softop has.

I have ordered the slant back because I like the look and design of it. The square backs to me look well, like its a bit off somehow. IMO.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@SubmarineNuke: Armadillo's square back is a little more square. It follows the lines the softop has.

I have ordered the slant back because I like the look and design of it. The square backs to me look well, like its a bit off somehow. IMO.
from all the pics and vids they had posted...it did not seem to be squared off at all and had more slant than the ADV.

and to be fair, when they said they were "hoping" for a Q4 delivery it was a turn off as Anderson of course told me 12-16 weeks. Of course that turned into my like 28 weeks...but that's a different story all together.

I really was hoping the Armadillo would be good, and I was online and priced one out and they sent me a code offering me a discount on top of the discount for being the first 10, but I just couldn't pull the trigger after seeing it, it really failed the eye ball test to me. Again...YMMV
Sponsored