Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the bolt is removed or loose, then the coil can slip off. Right ?

You're saying it's impossible, when all it really needs is someone forgets to install/tighten the bolt
I never said it was impossible first of all. But even if the bolt was loose or missing, any potential arc from the coil being loose would be so far down in the cylinder head that it would almost certainly not be able to cause any issue lol

Regardless, all this speculation hinges on the fact that someone touched the coil to begin with
Sponsored

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Those are 90k+ parts these days so probably not.

But who knows. Could be human error, could be faulty components. Could be a critter that decided the cables looked tasty.
Surprisingly, my 2.7 Ecoboost does not eat spark plugs every 30-50k miles (which my 3.5 ecm does do). 92k on the factory plugs with no issues. I will probably change them at 100k miles just because.

OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Likely the high current B+ lead to the starter and / or the ground return cable, the starter is in the location you describe and has direct path to battery, sustained high current draw makes a good fire, clacking could also have been starter mounted solenoid engaging. Was alternator shield upgrade performed? also in that area...
No alternator shield upgrade to my knowledge. Was there a recall I’m not aware of? I’ve had all the open recalls addressed. If no, then I did not upgrade on my own.

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes thousands
Like the thousands of failed engines
Have you even seen how poorly they do in crash tests with trucks?
The crash test simulated by the gaming engine? Yes I've seen that. Just like I've seen plabe simulators crash the planes, doesn't look good for Boeing.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The crash test simulated by the gaming engine? Yes I've seen that. Just like I've seen plabe simulators crash the planes, doesn't look good for Boeing.
It was literally responding to the guy saying he thinks he’s ‘heard’ of fires

🔥 but it was lost on too many people

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thousands. right, and all those fake AI generated crash tests. Back up your claim with some fact are its just BS.
well all the pics of Bronco’s I have seen in accidents with other vehicles - Bronco won!

short wheel base, max approach angle , max departure angle, removable doors. I don’t think a Bronco wins when slammed into a concrete slab at an angle. But hey if I was worried about maximum safety I would have bought an ugly Subaru and make my kids wear a helmet when riding a bike. Just sayin

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flip - I really appreciate your posts and points of view, along with you other Ford Service guys. I thank you all for your inputs, suggestions, and advice..

Took my ’22 the Bronco in to the dealer who I bought it from, for the wiper EPROM reprogramming recall and warranty service as the wiper fluid pump had crapped out. Mileage was 26,000. Just for the record, my Bronco has been flawless.

I get a text the following day indicating that I need a “throttle body cleaning” and “fuel injector cleaning” both at around $250 each. NADA…

The sad part about this is that if my private mechanic (who I’ve known for years and trust…) told me this, I would have given the “go ahead”. Pretty sure if I asked him, he would have replied, “Why would you need to do that at 26,000 miles?”.

Anyway, I sure its probably a very high margin service (snake oil flushes), if they do anything at all… Are they that hard pressed???

As owners of vehicles who’s location can be continuously monitored with Ford Pass, it’s frustrating for me to see the vehicle sitting parked on an outer lot at the dealer for seemingly days on end, with nothing going on…. Are the service people oblivious to this? Two days to fix the washer pump and reprogram the drive EPROM?

Sad that I’m eagerly awaiting the expiration of my warranty, so I can deal with someone I trust, and who will provide me with a repair timeline and expedite my repair service scheduled.
Over the years manufacturers have whittled the maintenance down to keep cost of ownership low. Plugs at 100K, no fuel filters, transmission service at 120K, oil changes 5,000K-7,500K, hybrid 10K, coolant 90K. Many service advisor pay plans are primarily based on what the sell whether that be specific services, total dollars or some combination. The snake oil folks also spiff techs and advisors for selling these "services" so there's a lot of motivation from the top down. Ford has come out several times over the years and gave a position statement on flushes but dealers still keep doing them.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for the fire. Hope insurance resolved sooner than later. Your pics show SAS wheels, and you keep referencing Everglades wheels. That part is a tad confusing…not that it matter.

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the bolt is removed or loose, then the coil can slip off. Right ?

You're saying it's impossible, when all it really needs is someone forgets to install/tighten the bolt
For an ignition spark to start a fire there would have to be a fuel leak in the first place.. so there’s that. Honestly even back when we ran distributors and long plug wires, I’ve never heard of a loose ignition wire causing a fire unless there was a fuel leak. Spark does not creat a fire, it has to have some sort of fuel more combustible than engine oil.

The OP’s “engine” fire was caused by one of 2 things…. An electrical short, or a fuel leak. Speculation beyond that is just silly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry for the fire. Hope insurance resolved sooner than later. Your pics show SAS wheels, and you keep referencing Everglades wheels. That part is a tad confusing…not that it matter.
No, I have Everglade wheels. Here’s a picture right after they went on.

IMG_4949.jpeg

OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also, thanks for the sorry, and hopes! Update coming shortly. 😊

OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great news update. My bronco is not a total loss after all! It's repairable! Yay! The fire inspection is likely canceled given the damage wasn't severe enough to warrant one. They're going to let Ford assess and repair at this stage. They're towing it back to my service department. I have pictures of the engine, and the initial insurance inspector believes it was either the radiator, intercooler, or something in that area that caught fire. I was lucky that it put itself out and didn't burn it to the ground. Good news is it's fixable, and am not on the market for a new Bronco. Might take some time to repair, but will have her back soon enough I'm hoping. Will post the pictures in a moment.

Also, I realize there's a lot of talk on this thread about the cost of service. The cost was 705, not 800, to be exact. Apologies for exaggerating. I should have mentioned, it was me who asked for the extra service. I baby this thing. It included all of the 20k mile service recommendations, plus all fluid changed at my request, and a state inspection. I don't think the dealer was trying to pull one over on me. More like I asked for some likely unnecessary things and figured it was in the shop already.
Sponsored