Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Block heaters typically go in a freeze plug on the block and only heat the coolant. You will need another type of heater to keep the oil warm. I have four old magnetic heaters, but alas they won't work on a plastic oil pan. Sorry... :cool:
Sponsored

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly just making this standard would make a lot of sense. Would get people to use it that never knew what one was for

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the $100 Im in although I live in FL ... Just good to have and maintain a consistent minimum engine temp & I travel to cooler climates at times ... wondering at what temp it kicks in and what temp it maintains ?

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To tell you how important this is for cold climates. The Army takes every civilian vehicle going to Ft. Wainright and installs a block heater in them before they go to the Arctic Circle. That way no Army personnel can claim their vehicle froze up at -60F. BTW, every light pole in parking lots in that part of Alaska have outlets on them to plug the heater into.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They aren't an option in Canada. All Broncos will come with them here. I never used one when living out East but always use one in Central and Western Canada.

I usually plug in if it's around 10f or below. We will get spells at -30f to -40f and I'll definitely plug in then. My current vehicle really struggles when it's that cold.

We also have lot's of places to plug in here. Most offices and work places have plugs. So do many stores.

I wouldn't bother with one if a) you don't really have a place to plug in or b) it doesn't get super cold.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the $100 Im in although I live in FL ... Just good to have and maintain a consistent minimum engine temp & I travel to cooler climates at times ... wondering at what temp it kicks in and what temp it maintains ?
Don't quote me but a block heater will only get up to about 120f max. Depending on the ambient temps it may only warm up to 60-70f overnight if it's cold.

There is no "kick in." If it's plugged in, it's heating. There's no thermostat.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ad me to getting one. In central Wa we do get to single digits on occasion.

Only had a 1 car garage back in the early 90's so my little ranger sat out. Installed an aftermarket lower rad hose heater and loved it. In the mornings when it was in single digits the temp gauge would show the needle about 1/4 way up the scale. Started it up, needle would drop then start climbing within a minute and window would be defrosted in no time.

VegasKoop

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in Vegas and I am adding it ???

Who knows what the future holds and I don't want a potential buyer to eliminate my rig right out of the gate because I don't have it.

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't quote me but a block heater will only get up to about 120f max. Depending on the ambient temps it may only warm up to 60-70f overnight if it's cold.

There is no "kick in." If it's plugged in, it's heating. There's no thermostat.
Much appreciated ... wondering how that worked for sometime. ??

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having come from northern Minnesota, I didn't even question it. Of course I would add a block heater! I didn't realize/forgot other parts of the country may not understand it's uses

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have it on my F150 (3.5EB) here in CO and the truck is parked outside. Temps get down are single digits at times when I leave for work and Ive never used the block heater in 3+ yrs.

its also been serviced for recalls 3 different times.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Block heaters typically go in a freeze plug on the block and only heat the coolant. You will need another type of heater to keep the oil warm. I have four old magnetic heaters, but alas they won't work on a plastic oil pan. Sorry... :cool:
Heating the coolant heats the entire engine block including the oil. Nice factory option. So nice to step into the vehicle, fire it up, not hear valves rattling as oil struggles to get to the heads, and then turn on the heater/defroster and get instant heat.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stand corrected. I did not know it could heat an element that did not reside in the block when not running.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How good is the connection? Like how strong can you pull on it? Will the plug come out before there is any damage?

I am kind of joking but not entirely. I know at least once I am pulling out of the garage with it still plugged in.
Sponsored