Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting, I didn't know all that. I've always just had a block heater but they were older cars. What design considerations went into using -18C as the threshold? Is anything warmer than that considered acceptable to not have an engine heater/anything colder than that it's recommended to have one? Or is it related to the sensor faults going off and they're just trying to avoid that?
They probably just picked -18*C because it was an American engineer and they were shooting for 0*F
Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They probably just picked -18*C because it was an American engineer and they were shooting for 0*F
True, but I still question the significance of 0*F. I wonder if it's a threshold temperature for coolant or oil

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I cant imagine NOT having one in North Dakota. A plug will will hang a couple of inches out of the front of the truck thru the grill. For $100 its a no brainer.

True story. I took a job for nestle a long time ago as a salesman based in North Dakota straight out of college. I had never had a car that had a block heater. It was a company car. A crappy Plymouth acclaim as I recall.

Weather turned colder than hell a few months after I got there. I was traveling to visit grocery stores in the Williston area and stayed overnight at one of those drive up to your door motels. When I go to check in the hotel, the desk attendant asked me if I wanted an extension cord. I thought to myself, what kind of freak show is this place. Next morning go out to my car and notice every car was plugged in through the grill. Mine wasn’t. Battery was so dead it wiped the presets off my radio. Had to call and get it jumped. Everyone else came out and started right up.

After that I carried my own extension cord.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Info from a dealership

Looks like something to consider, but I did find the length of time needed or recommended for these interesting. It states 2-4 hours time is the recommendation. Uh... I won't be interrupting my beauty sleep, to plug this bad boy in, before I go to work. I know it says recommended, so longer probably isn't an issue and just wasting electricity.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Block heater or even a oil pan heating pad really helps with starting and saving the engine, but also consider in real cold, there's other things with oil that you have to mindful of. Had to do a couple of very slow and ginger laps around the parking lot at -35f so the axles would warm up.

Sponsored

YEGDriver

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

regarding the -18C point, apparently some people were cutting off the end of the block heater cord (the part with the temperature sensor in it) and replacing it with a simple plug. This lets the block heater work at any temperature, however after a number of hours one of the engine modules looks at the ambient temperature and says, it's not cold enough for the block heater to be on, but my coolant temperature is warmer than the outside temperature, therefore there is a problem with the engine, and turns the engine light on.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Info from a dealership

Looks like something to consider, but I did find the length of time needed or recommended for these interesting. It states 2-4 hours time is the recommendation. Uh... I won't be interrupting my beauty sleep, to plug this bad boy in, before I go to work. I know it says recommended, so longer probably isn't an issue and just wasting electricity.
Anything that heats using electricity isn't very efficient. So you'll be wasting a fair bit of power if you plug in after work and unplug in the morning. That's probably 12 hours or so.

There are a number of timers on the market. Either straight timers....just set the hours....or....some with a thermometer in it that will come on depending on the ambient temperature. You set when you want your vehicle the warmest. So if it's warmer they will come on later. Some also cycle the power so it only comes on for certain intervals. Lots of power parking lots do this do this as well.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anything that heats using electricity isn't very efficient. So you'll be wasting a fair bit of power if you plug in after work and unplug in the morning. That's probably 12 hours or so.

There are a number of timers on the market. Either straight timers....just set the hours....or....some with a thermometer in it that will come on depending on the ambient temperature. You set when you want your vehicle the warmest. So if it's warmer they will come on later. Some also cycle the power so it only comes on for certain intervals. Lots of power parking lots do this do this as well.
Thanks! This is all new to me. Currently in Chicago suburbs, I don't have one with my f150, but there are many times we get a cold burst that I wonder if she'll start. The f150 (2004) has started every time, but she doesn't like it. LOL.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm adding it, but I live in Alaska where it can get truly cold.

I DON'T have a block heater on my RS and it has never been a problem...I daily it year round. You don't need one on a gas engine unless it's really, really cold- talking regularly below zero. But for the price I'll be adding it anyway.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
How good is the connection? Like how strong can you pull on it? Will the plug come out before there is any damage?

I am kind of joking but not entirely. I know at least once I am pulling out of the garage with it still plugged in.
Until you get used to it try propping your hood up to remind you in the morning.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

How good is the connection? Like how strong can you pull on it? Will the plug come out before there is any damage?

I am kind of joking but not entirely. I know at least once I am pulling out of the garage with it still plugged in.
The plug will break off on its own after a few years. ;)Perhaps they have changed it but no strain relief where the cord exits the plug. Also, relatively short cord so you may want to modify anyways to keep from having to kneel in the slush to plug in. However, they are awesome. At 25 below, car thinks it’s above zero when plugged in.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you've never used one, then you won't need one. Never needed one in Ohio.
Canada, Alaska, Buffalo, Maine, Siberia sure, but everyone else will not need it. Modern engines running synthetics don't need heaters unless you live in unlivable climates

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those thinking it heats the truck up quicker inside, thats what remote start does. Every morning I remote start my truck or jeep and by the tine I get in, its nice and toasty.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Think we are missing what the definition of standard equipment is
No worries though you get to save your hundred dollars ??????
Sponsored