Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Passat 2013 Road King 1987 BMW e30
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Excuse me ahead of time if this has been addressed in another thread ( I looked ) but any tips or info on the 2.7 break in period? 1000 miles? Oil change? Vary rpms? Any insights appreciated.
Sponsored

ChileanDAWG

Badlands
First Name
Pitts
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did not think engines of today really needed break in periods, but I know nothing about engine tech.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think manufacturers still recommend a short break in period but look at all the KOH videos- several basically 0 mile Broncos running 60 or 70 mph through sand and what-not all day for several days straight. Is it really needed? Probably not.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Floor it and go! Youā€™ve got a warranty so theyā€™ll just replace it.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Drive it like you stole it! That's what I'm gonna do lol

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dont rest foot on brakešŸ™ˆ

Escape Hatch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 GTI, 19 Atlas SE w/ tech R Line V6 4 motion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Drive it aggressively without redline. Done this on a few cars and never an issue with oil consumption. I have actually read it seats the rings more quickly as well.

Last edited:

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think manufacturers still recommend a short break in period but look at all the KOH videos- several basically 0 mile Broncos running 60 or 70 mph through sand and what-not all day for several days straight. Is it really needed? Probably not.
I think it depends on what your goals are, the KOH Broncos are factory owned and what happens to the motors at 50-100K miles is of no concern. Same goes for race motors that have very short to no break in, but they live a vary different life and die of different reasons.

For me its easy to follow the factory break in procedures and I want to give my motor the best chance to last.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drive it like you stole it! That's what I'm gonna do lol
Thatā€™s actually the best way to seat piston rings in modern engines. You need hard acceleration and deceleration to get gas pressure on both sides of the piston to push the light knurling on the rings against the cylinder to ensure a tight seating. Itā€™s not like the old days of soft metal and heavy kurling - now the tolerances are so much better thereā€™s less to do, but also less time to get it done before you lose the chance.

Manufacturers donā€™t typically recommend this technique, but racers know all about it and use it on their engines, either on the dyno or on the track/road.

Iā€™ve done it with all my race motorcycles with great success, and apply it to a more street-legal-friendly way with my cars/trucks.

FWIW.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thatā€™s actually the best way to seat piston rings in modern engines. You need hard acceleration and deceleration to get gas pressure on both sides of the piston to push the light knurling on the rings against the cylinder to ensure a tight seating. Itā€™s not like the old days of soft metal and heavy kurling - now the tolerances are so much better thereā€™s less to do, but also less time to get it done before you lose the chance.

Manufacturers donā€™t typically recommend this technique, but racers know all about it and use it on their engines, either on the dyno or on the track/road.

Iā€™ve done it with all my race motorcycles with great success, and apply it to a more street-legal-friendly way with my cars/trucks.

FWIW.
Same philosophy that I have used for years. Same experience from my years racing cars and road-race motorcycles and what I have done with every single ICE I have owned since I could drive.
Sponsored