Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
1C1786DD-B58D-4041-85E4-C8373B976659.gif

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, you’ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

I’m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I don’t feel like upgrading my transmission. So I’m sticking with the 2.3L. And I’ll add a tune later. I’ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless you’re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, I’d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.
🤣
More like to get a VIN sooner
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll just get the manual and tell the transmission when I want it to shift. Problem solved. Next thread.
But the rating on the manual is right near the rating of the 2.7 also!!! LOL
I wonder why Ford nixed that idea?

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The great part is that there are options, so consumers can exercise free will.

It doesn’t matter if their decisions are based on complete misunderstanding/lack of expertise or years of painstaking research; at least there’s a choice.

Yay consumerism!

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1C1786DD-B58D-4041-85E4-C8373B976659.gif

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, you’ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

I’m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I don’t feel like upgrading my transmission. So I’m sticking with the 2.3L. And I’ll add a tune later. I’ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless you’re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, I’d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.
There is one huge reason I picked the 2.7 eco boost. The 2.7 has direct injection and port injection. The 2.3 has direct injection only, this allows carbon buildup on the valves. Not to mention the 2.7’s extra horsepower and torque and when it is tuned up to 500 ft lbs of torque. If the tranny breaks they can fix it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I already have a VIN. July 19th Build Date. 🙂

Definitely the other big benefit of the 2.3L.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yall know manufacturers will make different versions of the same transmission right? Its very possible the 2.7 will get more clutch plates, bigger bands, bigger pump, or other changes to handle extra power.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is one huge reason I picked the 2.7 eco boost. The 2.7 has direct injection and port injection. The 2.3 has direct injection only, this allows carbon buildup on the valves. Not to mention the 2.7’s extra horsepower and torque and when it is tuned up to 500 ft lbs of torque. If the tranny breaks they can fix it.
I love direct injection. I do a lot of trips in high-altitude, and the power loss is way worse for a non-direct injection engine. The DI stays strong in the mountains (the Turbo helps).

Carbon build up isn’t an issue if you add a catch can. And even if you don’t, just clean it every 100k miles and it’s fine.

That’s like complaining about the plastic oil pan in the 2.7L... it’s not a big deal.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yall know manufacturers will make different versions of the same transmission right? Its very possible the 2.7 will get more clutch plates, bigger bands, bigger pump, or other changes to handle extra power.
Let’s hope this is true for everyone who ordered the 2.7!

Sponsored

Its Brawnco

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Raptor, 1978 F100, 2016 Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
can you provide more information or experience with Flood Ford insurance? I am interested in this option.
Unfortunately I haven't used them before but they were THE dealer recommended for extended warranties on some Raptor forums I was on. Kind of like a Granger type rep. If you go to their website, you can get a pretty no-BS quote and it seems like their top end extended warranty 8yr/150K miles is about $4K for a new Bronco.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately I haven't used them before but they were THE dealer recommended for extended warranties on some Raptor forums I was on. Kind of like a Granger type rep. If you go to their website, you can get a pretty no-BS quote and it seems like their top end extended warranty 8yr/150K miles is about $4K for a new Bronco.
Check Ziegler Ford, I'm seeing $3400 for the same plan. Only $2200 if you drop to 8/125.

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love direct injection. I do a lot of trips in high-altitude, and the power loss is way worse for a non-direct injection engine. The DI stays strong in the mountains (the Turbo helps).

Carbon build up isn’t an issue if you add a catch can. And even if you don’t, just clean it every 100k miles and it’s fine.

That’s like complaining about the plastic oil pan in the 2.7L... it’s not a big deal.
Dude the 2.7 and 2.3 are both direct injected. I would never buy a DI engine without the addition of port injection. Why do you think Ford went with both on their 5.0 and the 2.7. Every new Ford DI engine from now on will have both. It’s because Ford and every other manufacturer had issues. So don’t listen to good advice. Order what you want. I’m sure on the next 2.3 refresh it will have DI and port injection.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even if everything you said is true (it's not) how often are you actually using 100% of the engine's torque? It will be fine.
I use Head & Shoulders shampoo and conditioner , so naturally I take everything I do to 100%. Especially the torque.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dude the 2.7 and 2.3 are both direct injected. I would never buy a DI engine without the addition of port injection. Why do you think Ford went with both on their 5.0 and the 2.7. Every new Ford DI engine from now on will have both. It’s because Ford and every other manufacturer had issues. So don’t listen to good advice. Order what you want. I’m sure on the next 2.3 refresh it will have DI and port injection.
...Or you can add a catch can, and never worry about it. Or just clean it every 100k miles. Problem solved. You must not have a lot of experience with DI engines. But the 2.3L in the Rangers has been great.
Sponsored