Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 1C1786DD-B58D-4041-85E4-C8373B976659

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, you’ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

I’m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I don’t feel like upgrading my transmission. So I’m sticking with the 2.3L. And I’ll add a tune later. I’ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless you’re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, I’d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.

Added input from Ford Engineer:

Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 36C34F93-C6AA-4A16-8B01-25FB51126117
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronck

Base
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 36C34F93-C6AA-4A16-8B01-25FB51126117

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, you’ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

I’m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I don’t feel like upgrading my transmission. So I’m sticking with the 2.3L. And I’ll add a tune later. I’ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless you’re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, I’d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.
Might as well get the base with 16 inch wheels. Don’t want to stress that tranny too much

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Might as well get the base with 16 inch wheels. Don’t want to stress that tranny too much
Nah. The 4.7 gearing on Sasquatch is what makes all the difference. Doesn’t stress the transmission at all. If you drove one, you’d know. It’s the massive amounts of torque that stress the 10R60.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
It'll be fine. If the Aviator and Explorer ST with the 10R60 can take the power of the 3.0T than your Bronco will be fine.
They actually can’t handle the power though...

“Consumer Reports was one of the first outlets to get a 2020 Ford Explorer and take it out for a test drive. They noticed right away that driving the Ford Explorer in suburban settings can be somewhat of a problem. The 2020 Ford Explorer has an issue with lurching and pulling while you're driving. There are also some very rough shifts from first gear to second gear after you experienced these lurches and pulls which tend to happen when you stop at stop signs and traffic lights. Additionally, the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear has also proven to be problematic.

Another issue that test drivers noticed with the Ford Explorer’s transmission for the 2020 model year was that it will hold on to a gear longer than it needs to. Typically, when you're driving with an automatic transmission once your engine reaches the appropriate RPM's for a gear shift to take place it will do so. That's essentially the whole purpose of an automatic transmission. It recognizes that your vehicle is up to the required speed and assessing the shifting gears. However, the transmission in this model year of the Explorer stays in a lower gear longer than it should and in turn causes some serious noise to come from the engine as a result.”

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On pavement
Ford isn't going to put a transmission in the Bronco that you are going to explode off road. They've done proper durability testing. There's a reason why 10R60 was okayed for 2.7TT and the 7-speed manual was not.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Ford isn't going to put a transmission in the Bronco that you are going to explode off road. They've done proper durability testing. There's a reason why 10R60 was okayed for 2.7TT and the 7-speed manual was not.
Nobody said it’s going to explode immediately. We are saying that the 2.7 will wear out the 10R60 transmission way faster than the 2.3 will. That’s all.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They actually can’t handle the power though...

“Consumer Reports was one of the first outlets to get a 2020 Ford Explorer and take it out for a test drive. They noticed right away that driving the Ford Explorer in suburban settings can be somewhat of a problem. The 2020 Ford Explorer has an issue with lurching and pulling while you're driving. There are also some very rough shifts from first gear to second gear after you experienced these lurches and pulls which tend to happen when you stop at stop signs and traffic lights. Additionally, the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear has also proven to be problematic.

Another issue that test drivers noticed with the Ford Explorer’s transmission for the 2020 model year was that it will hold on to a gear longer than it needs to. Typically, when you're driving with an automatic transmission once your engine reaches the appropriate RPM's for a gear shift to take place it will do so. That's essentially the whole purpose of an automatic transmission. It recognizes that your vehicle is up to the required speed and assessing the shifting gears. However, the transmission in this model year of the Explorer stays in a lower gear longer than it should and in turn causes some serious noise to come from the engine as a result.”
CR says that about a lot of transmissions. And some of the programming of the 10R transmission (both 60 and 80) has been not good. I put a few thousand miles on an Explorer ST recently and I didn't have any issues. Neither did my wife.

There's been a lot of people complaining about the 10R80 in the Ranger too. And that just has the 2.3T. Chances are, if you look up "X automatic transmission", there will be people complaining about it online.

Sponsored

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nobody said it’s going to explode immediately. We are saying that the 2.7 will wear out the 10R60 transmission way faster than the 2.3 will. That’s all.
There is no empirical evidence to suggest that. I guess I could ask my Ford buddy that has access to the data if there are more failures on Explorer ST transmissions vs Explorer 2.3 transmissions. It will certainly vary by owner.

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...n-ford-parts-system.16429/page-30#post-628018 Lot's of info here for your reading pleasure...
Sponsored