Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Big Bend manual comes with the 4.46 gears right? Nevermind dgorsett has the info.

I actually think 4.88 would be even more preferable than 4.70 with 35s.
You are correct TD, 4.46 with MT. I was just addressing AT 'cause it sounded like he decided to go Base AT, 2.7.
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wait, Granger modded their BB manual mannequin? I was hoping to go drive it to get an idea of the 2.3/manual, but if they ruined it already, then I guess I don't get the point of a mannequin.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. Save your money. Get the base. Add aftermarket stuff later without having to include it with a loan which has interest.

OP
OP
Bifftws

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Z06 corvette, 2021 Ranger, BMW 328i manual
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d be careful with that…that 2.3 you drove was a dog partially or maybe largely because it hadn’t been regeared for the 35s…and you’re ordering a truck with smaller gears. Adding 35s may give you the same performance problems you had with the 2.3, and it’s definitely not going to run like that Wildtrak with the tall rear.
Yes I realized that we looked at the wrong gear ratio after I posted. I had only been looking at manual transmission and was looking at the wrong ratio on build and price. Going to have to relook at build or tire size. Might have to keep base 2.7 and do 33"s. Not going to do any serious off roading with it. Don't need everything in the squatch package. Trying to upgrade to a newer z06 corvette in the next year also so I have to manage the budget between the 2 vehicles.

OP
OP
Bifftws

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait, Granger modded their BB manual mannequin? I was hoping to go drive it to get an idea of the 2.3/manual, but if they ruined it already, then I guess I don't get the point of a mannequin.
Yes, I asked if they kept the original set of wheels but they go rid of them already.

Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the word "ruined" is a little harsh. The OP specifically said that he didn't downshift for the acceleration test. We should have someone try it, with downshifting, to put it in the powerband, and then see.

Also, part of the point of a mannequin is to showcase accessories and modifications. So that's exactly what Granger has done. IMO, it's well within reason, given how many others may want to do the same. If nothing else, it may be enough to convince others NOT to do that on a vehicle with that drivetrain combination (not that I believe this to be the case).

Peter

OP
OP
Bifftws

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was dead set on a Wildtrak from the jump, but I've recently been considering what I would lose if dropping down to a Base w/Sas. Honestly not that much that I care enough about to justify a $9k difference. At least if I'm realistic about my actual use case...

So, definitely considering going the Basesquatch route now with a few options and plenty of cash left over to add some tasty aftermarket bits.
Yes unless you want the leather, larger screen, and higher packages that don't affect drivability definitely save the money and go base squatch. Will drive the same.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agree with the above. The gearing was the problem, not the engine.
So you think that a gearing change of 5% really is the difference?!? Hmmm... Not so sure about that. (We're talking 4.46 vs 4.7), now a difference of 20% (3.73 vs 4.7) would be far more significant.

OP
OP
Bifftws

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the word "ruined" is a little harsh. The OP specifically said that he didn't downshift for the acceleration test. We should have someone try it, with downshifting, to put it in the powerband, and then see.

Also, part of the point of a mannequin is to showcase accessories and modifications. So that's exactly what Granger has done. IMO, it's well within reason, given how many others may want to do the same. If nothing else, it may be enough to convince others NOT to do that on a vehicle with that drivetrain combination (not that I believe this to be the case).

Peter
I did downshift. I have been SCCA racing for years. Know how to drive. Was testing how it would handle cruise control in 6th gear on hilly roads. Would definitely bog down. Could not use cruise on hilly highways as you would have to shift to 4th or 5th every hill. Unfortunately no one will be able to test drive a manual with shorter gears until the manual squatch comes out next year. The 4.46 is the only option with the manual right now. Hopefully there will be a different gear option in the manual for MY22 without have to go full squatch. Otherwise the 4.46 will struggle with 35" with the manual.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ll bet when Mansquatch becomes available it has 4.88 gearing.
This gets mentioned a lot and I would disagree. 4.88's are only 3 ish percent lower than 4.70's, negligible effect on performance. I also doubt they'll do anything 5.++, as you make gears lower (higher number) you get more teeth on the ring and it becomes weaker. There is a point of diminishing returns. That Ford even offers 4.70 from the factory is pretty amazing.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did downshift. I have been SCCA racing for years. Know how to drive. Was testing how it would handle cruise control in 6th gear on hilly roads. Would definitely bog down. Could not use cruise on hilly highways as you would have to shift to 4th or 5th every hill. Unfortunately no one will be able to test drive a manual with shorter gears until the manual squatch comes out next year. The 4.46 is the only option with the manual right now. Hopefully there will be a different gear option in the manual for MY22 without have to go full squatch. Otherwise the 4.46 will struggle with 35" with the manual.
The limits of cruise control on a manual in the mountains was one (of several) reason I went auto.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
By all accounts the 2.3 is already marginal, if you task it even further with huge tires without appropriate gearing, it's going to be past marginal.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you think that a gearing change of 5% really is the difference?!? Hmmm... Not so sure about that. (We're talking 4.46 vs 4.7), now a difference of 20% (3.73 vs 4.7) would be far more significant.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

He drove a Big Bend with 4.46 gears and 35" tires and hated it.

Now he wants to buy a Base with 3.73 gears and put his own 35" tires on it?

Doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
Bifftws

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

He drove a Big Bend with 4.46 gears and 35" tires and hated it.

Now he wants to buy a Base with 3.73 gears and put his own 35" tires on it?

Doesn't make sense.
Please see my other post. We looked at the wrong gear ratios on the base. Didn't see it till after the post. Will not put 35" tires with 3:73 gears. Will change the gears or go with 33"s.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did Goldilocks write this post? Glad the porridge was just right on the 3rd one…
Sponsored