Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is similar to what is used. If you look at the pictures of the damaged top in mic 2.0 quality issues thread, the delaminating edges are actually the edges of the honeycomb as seen in your picture. the fish scaling is caused by the honeycomb and a really thin layer of gray gel-kote not covering up the pattern. The top finish looks more like it is painted to me, but Ford says it it molded in color. The thing I don't like about the mic is that the inside of the top is unfinished. Why couldn't Ford gel-kote or paint the inside of the top?
Sponsored

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thing I don't like about the mic is that the inside of the top is unfinished. Why couldn't Ford gel-kote or paint the inside of the top?
Yeah, I much prefer the gel coat on the Wranglers over the exposed fiber, but I guess that would add cost and weight. I'm going to guess that someone at some point will try to gel coat the inside just to see how it works.

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction CD04262B-A878-4667-9CF5-98DC9384918A_0

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have the right attitude! If it were engine work, or a lift, I'd hire a mechanic. But figerglass/epoxy repair I can do, and as you say, the miniscure repair that forever shows will be part of the memory of this vehicle. This is a utility, modular vehicle made to be used, and any new vehicle or boat has its operating idiosyncrasies that must be learned, and enjoyed. I consider this as much a boat as a car, to be personalized, equipped for my lifestyle, and enjoyed both outdoors (for me, thats the beach, mostly) and on the road. In the 1950's and 1960's, when I was a child, many Cape Codders drove what they had on the beach on the weekend. Some were lucky enough to have wheel drive, orhers of us used whatever we had. Before my mother bought a Scout, we went with my Uncle in his VW flatbed panel truck. Rear wherl drive. Let out the air. We kids all jumped off, and pushed the truck as it started and got up to speed. And jumped back on the moving vehicle. Then, we got a scout. Etc.

This Bronco, is a luxury, and a blessing. This is at least my 5th 4wd vehicle, and for the firsr time, I've even got a rear locker!

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction 1635460163701

MZBHAVN

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor, 2016 JKU Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Suggestions:
Get you some tiger hair filler.
Sand the areas on either side of the busted area with 80 grit, about 4" out into the top.
Clean it well with compressed air.
Apply the tiger hair.
Once it is hard enough to sand (but not fully cured), shape it with a grinder to the basic overall shape desired.
Finish shaping it once cured.
Reapply as needed.
2K filler prime the repair area.
Sand with 320.
Find a grey that matches and repaint the panel. You may have to add texturing to it to semi-match the grain of the panel.
hardest part is pulling the hair out of the Tiger🤪

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Suggestions:
Get you some tiger hair filler.
Sand the areas on either side of the busted area with 80 grit, about 4" out into the top.
Clean it well with compressed air.
Apply the tiger hair.
Once it is hard enough to sand (but not fully cured), shape it with a grinder to the basic overall shape desired.
Finish shaping it once cured.
Reapply as needed.
2K filler prime the repair area.
Sand with 320.
Find a grey that matches and repaint the panel. You may have to add texturing to it to semi-match the grain of the panel.
too much work, SEM 39747 is every freestyle Jetski guys friend

Sponsored

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow

Someone on another thread insisted the mic tops are just cardboard covered in plastic. I thought he was being facetious. From your photos it really truly appears to just be cardboard. Are my eyes deceiving me?
Looks like divinycell/PVC foam with fiberglass and the super fun thermoplastic top cover.....

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

too much work, SEM 39747 is every freestyle Jetski guys friend
Thanks for the tip. SEM looks alot like the JB Weld suite of products. How thick is 39747? The first step needs a fairly thin epoxy to inject into the crack and impregnate the fiber, then clamp. The second step requires a thicker gel that can be built up and shaped. I'll probably use JBWeld 2part for the second because its gray is similar to the MIC color.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
it is just corrugated paper fill with fiberglass skin look at that video of the guys cutting the back half off a 2 door to make that fire truck mobile

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction 1635460163701
Do you have a link to that video?

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks like I need a systems checklist for startup! I took off down the road and once I got up to 45-50 mph on the 3-lane, the driver's side MIC panel blew right off the car! Luckily I was able to pull over, run and retrieve (a driver stopped by the panel to protect it from being run over). Obviously I forgot to lock the latches on my new MIC2 Panel that my OBX waited for almost 3 months on Dirt Mountain.

It still works well (I'll know for sure after today's rain) and now its time for some Epoxy home repair, put my epoxy boat-repair skills to work. That protruding front corner is the worst. Can I assume epoxy will work, or will I need a more exotic panel glue!

I don't imagine buying a new panel is going to be easy . . . Can I get one of those MIC1 panels when replaced? I can attest that they are strong, and I don't think I'll make this mistake again!

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction tape