Sponsored

MIC top color / material have not actually changed (per MIC material supplier)

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey @Ksjrb03 maybe now that there is a newish thread on this you can explain the top color has not changed. Again.:rolleyes:
Sure, not that anyone will listen. The top color that Ford calls carbonized gray was finalized two years ago, and the formula has not changed. I think I’ve been here long enough to see that people started to think it got darker once the available photos swapped from factory bright lights to outdoor real world shots. There was also a tooling change around the same time, it’s very obvious to see when you look at old pics and new pics. The seams for the rear shell changed. I think the tooling on the mold changed at that time to a less textured finish. The tooling on the mold can dramatically change the way light reflects, and change the appearance some what. But rest assured the color of the plastic used in the outer shell has not changed.

We do not make the material for the inner structural shell so I’m not exactly sure what it’s made of. The outer shell is polyacetal, or POM in the business, a very common automotive thermoplastic. I have no idea how it will take paint, that’s not my department.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure, not that anyone will listen. The top color that Ford calls carbonized gray was finalized two years ago, and the formula has not changed. I think I’ve been here long enough to see that people started to think it got darker once the available photos swapped from factory bright lights to outdoor real world shots. There was also a tooling change around the same time, it’s very obvious to see when you look at old pics and new pics. The seams for the rear shell changed. I think the tooling on the mold changed at that time to a less textured finish. The tooling on the mold can dramatically change the way light reflects, and change the appearance some what. But rest assured the color of the plastic used in the outer shell has not changed.

We do not make the material for the inner structural shell so I’m not exactly sure what it’s made of. The outer shell is polyacetal, or POM in the business, a very common automotive thermoplastic. I have no idea how it will take paint, that’s not my department.
This is really good info.

I think BN hasn’t been helping.

Ford Bronco MIC top color / material have not actually changed (per MIC material supplier) 1617233041627

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is really good info.

I think BN hasn’t been helping.

Ford Bronco MIC top color / material have not actually changed (per MIC material supplier) 1617233041627
Looks like the same color to me, but my color matching certification test is done under 3500k lights and not photos lol. That’s the tooling change though thanks for finding that.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like the same color to me, but my color matching certification test is done under 3500k lights and not photos lol. That’s the tooling change though thanks for finding that.
I think you answered this a while ago, but can a white top be made out of your material? Or is painted the way to go.

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think you answered this a while ago, but can a white top be made out of your material? Or is painted the way to go.
We have never made an exterior automotive plastic in white, and I don’t think you will ever see a white MIC top. There are engineering challenges to white, like the amount of UV and other stabilizers needed for exterior use in this grade of plastic make it almost impossible to get a true white, and stay white. They have too much yellow in them. Something like a white igloo cooler is a lesser grade plastic with less stabilization. How easy do those stain etc...

There may be another plastic out there that can do it, but not our products.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How does it react to years of sunlight?

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How does it react to years of sunlight?
Industry leaders, so all I can say is better than anyone else’s product. Our products are all over exterior and dash of the big auto manufacturers. Plastics have gone a long way since the first plastic dashes that cracked and discolored. Should get many years before the sun takes its toll. We test and engineer this in many ways.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Industry leaders, so all I can say is better than anyone else’s product. Our products are all over exterior and dash of the big auto manufacturers. Plastics have gone a long way since the first plastic dashes that cracked and discolored. Should get many years before the sun takes its toll. We test and engineer this in many ways.
Will your company be manufacturing the painted tops?

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Will your company be manufacturing the painted tops?
We make a variety of plastics, so if we make the smc used in the painted top that would be at another plant. We are an OEM for some products, and a raw material supplier for others. We just supply the materials for the MIC. I have seen samples of both though.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The outer shell is polyacetal, or POM in the business, a very common automotive thermoplastic.
Thank you for an actual, authoritive answer!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

That jives with my understanding of automotive lead times, the 24 month lead time. And also why some of the "hate" posts on here before Stig left towards unemployment pastures were so comical. The "what were they thinking?" stuff where it was obvious they thought of what they could at the time since not all aspects were finalized prior to whatever decision was the soup de jour.

Polyacetal, I sure hope that causes cancer, sounds like it should.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wanted to close the loop on this.

I updated my Hard Top Differences explanation to reflect this info.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed to have perpetuated the idea that the pigmentation was actually itself getting darker. I certainly wasn't willfully ignoring anything you said, I just honestly don't remember ever seeing it.

Thank you for sharing it again.

(Note I had to give it yesterdays date because I wanted to be able to reference to this in the future and not have anyone doubt it.)

Ford Bronco MIC top color / material have not actually changed (per MIC material supplier) Hard Top Types March 21

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just wanted to close the loop on this.

I updated my Hard Top Differences explanation to reflect this info.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed to have perpetuated the idea that the pigmentation was actually itself getting darker. I certainly wasn't willfully ignoring anything you said, I just honestly don't remember ever seeing it.

Thank you for sharing it again.

(Note I had to give it yesterdays date because I wanted to be able to reference to this in the future and not have anyone doubt it.)

Ford Bronco MIC top color / material have not actually changed (per MIC material supplier) Hard Top Types March 21
Ha cool. Lets build the things already so we can move on to having fun and forget the days of worrying about the nonsense!
Sponsored