Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like I've said before... if you want an old bronco, go buy an old bronco. It's not like they don't exist
But the 1st gens are pretty expensive-they aren't like Mustangs that sold in pretty decent numbers over the years.
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Look at how desire is totally ROARING for the Chevy HHR, S197 Mustang, Toyota FJ, VW Beetle, and so on
There are still lots of S197 Mustangs on the road and it still evolved in the current Mustang we have today-the rest of the cars your talking about are evolutionary dead ends

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You have Dodge and their Challenger, that to me, looks most like a remake of it's original and man does it sell well and look awesome!
They also have $5K off the asking price and are based off a platform that is nearly 20 years old with no replacement in sight.

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You fackin noobs with the "If you want an old Bronco get an old Bronco." Enough.....ever heard of remakes or remasters? They do it in movies, videogames, etc. Imagine if they did it with cars?!! Oh wait they do! Except it's from shops that build them as one offs (Icon Bronco's) which cost a small fortune.

You have Dodge and their Challenger, that to me, looks most like a remake of it's original and man does it sell well and look awesome!

That's what I want. I want to experience a car from the 50's....60's where car designers made them instead, of bean counting regulation following nerds. With a modern engine and suspension. And not have to pay more than two times my annual income.
Lol. This will never happen. And the movie and video game industries don't have government agencies like the EPA to force them to be safer and greener. At least not to the extent of the auto industry. Don't hold your breath.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But the 1st gens are pretty expensive-they aren't like Mustangs that sold in pretty decent numbers over the years.
1st Gen's can certainly be found in the same price range that this new Bronco is going to be selling at. Regardless, that sounds more like a personal problem

There are still lots of S197 Mustangs on the road and it still evolved in the current Mustang we have today-the rest of the cars your talking about are evolutionary dead ends
There's also a lot of Toyota corollas on the road, but that doesn't mean they're desirable

The "evolution" aspect is null. The Mustang would've continued on, whether S197 was retro or just an update to the SN95 bodystyle... we still would've gotten a radical change in S550 regardless

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1st Gen's can certainly be found in the same price range that this new Bronco is going to be selling at. Regardless, that sounds more like a personal problem
Why are you going to spend say $40K on a old Bronco, when you can get a new one that will be more reliable, get better MPGs, and be safer overall? It doesn't make much sense as a daily driver to get an old car like that-I can see weekends, but that is completely different subject.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The "evolution" aspect is null. The Mustang would've continued on, whether S197 was retro or just an update to the SN95 bodystyle... we still would've gotten a radical change in S550 regardless
The S197 is completely different car then the SN95-it was radical change to the Mustang. The SN95 had roots back to the Fox platform in the late 1970s.

I had a woman I knew that had a 04 GT converible that had cowl shake and generally was a pretty rough car (I had a 98 GT coupe prior-was actual worse then that) while I had a 2006 GT Coupe. She got an 07 Convertible GT and it had zero issues and drove just as nice as my coupe did.

The S550 just got the IRS that the S197 was supposed to have when it was launched, but scrapped as cost savings.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why are you going to spend say $40K on a old Bronco, when you can get a new one that will be more reliable, get better MPGs, and be safer overall? It doesn't make much sense as a daily driver to get an old car like that-I can see weekends, but that is completely different subject.
So, what you're saying is you don't want an old Bronco, you want a new Bronco...

So what's your point here?

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, what you're saying is you don't want an old Bronco, you want a new Bronco...

So what's your point here?
What was your point in comparing the 1st gen with the new one, when it came to price then...

The point I was making is there are less 1st gen Broncos then Mustangs of the same time period-and increased demand for Bronco combined with less supply=more expensive vehicle.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What was your point in comparing the 1st gen with the new one, when it came to price then...

The point I was making is there are less 1st gen Broncos then Mustangs of the same time period-and increased demand for Bronco combined with less supply=more expensive vehicle.
because tons of people on this forum (including 1 in this thread) are saying they want the new Bronco to basically be a carbon copy of the EB because they want that “60s-70s feel” but don’t want to pay for an EB, yet don’t seem to understand that they can get an EB for probably around the same price as the new Bronco will cost

Sponsored

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Except it has: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...461/gateway-bronco-restomod-licensed-by-ford/

There are special exemptions from most regulations for small volume manufacturers. I believe the only hitch is you have to meet modern emissions laws, but by using a 5.0L Coyote, that isn't an issue.

Early Bronco vendors literally sell every part to build a brand new early Bronco if you were so inclined to do it yourself, but you better have some deep pockets...

Your point is fair, but something to consider is the inflation-adjusted prices of the early Bronco while it was in production. Based on prices listed in vintage road tests, prices ranged from $16,984.26 to $45,847.08 for a loaded Stroppe edition. The V8 was only ~$700 option. So if it were possible for Ford to build a brand new carbon copy of the original, you could buy a brand new one for significantly less than what a restored original is currently going for.

Obviously this could never happen, so it is silly to waste time thinking about it, but it underscores how ridiculous EB values have gotten and how expensive new cars have gotten. For reference, a new 2 door Wrangler starts at ~$28,295 (and you still don't get air conditioning!) and a 4 door can be optioned up to $64,195
A restomod is not a mass-produced vehicle. That restomod doesn't have to meet the same crash standards. This is completely different. I don't know why we waste time talking about things that are clearly NEVER going to happen, bitch when it doesn't, and try to find exceptions to rules using $150,000 dollar vehicles that don't have to follow the same standards to prove a point.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wonder how much of this same type of discussion went on before the rebirth of the Mustang. And in the end, how many naysayers were vindicated, how many fanbois were disappointed.

Everyone has their own personal threshold of how much vintage and how much modern they want to see in the new Bronco - and exactly where they want those elements to manifest. As for me, the more vintage the body and styling can appear, the better; not so much on the tailgate/liftgate seal, heater effectiveness, and NVH at 70mph. We should expect creature comforts and conveniences to be at least in-line with modern vehicles, so I'm not overly concerned with that aspect... what remains is the measure of performance compared to the vintage machines and the elusive "just right" of styling.

I've said it before - if they nail it as well as the Mustang did, I'll be happy. My hope is that Ford understands the gravity of their mission with the Bronco, and will make a machine that pleases the masses to achieve sustainable sales figures, provides capabilities that satisfy the majority of enthusiasts, and lends itself to modification for the more hardcore users.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder how much of this same type of discussion went on before the rebirth of the Mustang. And in the end, how many naysayers were vindicated, how many fanbois were disappointed.

Everyone has their own personal threshold of how much vintage and how much modern they want to see in the new Bronco - and exactly where they want those elements to manifest. As for me, the more vintage the body and styling can appear, the better; not so much on the tailgate/liftgate seal, heater effectiveness, and NVH at 70mph. We should expect creature comforts and conveniences to be at least in-line with modern vehicles, so I'm not overly concerned with that aspect... what remains is the measure of performance compared to the vintage machines and the elusive "just right" of styling.

I've said it before - if they nail it as well as the Mustang did, I'll be happy. My hope is that Ford understands the gravity of their mission with the Bronco, and will make a machine that pleases the masses to achieve sustainable sales figures, provides capabilities that satisfy the majority of enthusiasts, and lends itself to modification for the more hardcore users.
I’m not a car guy, so correct me if I’m wrong but it seems that the new Mustangs do literally everything better than the old ones. Same goes for the JL. Same for the Super Duty. Modern interpretations of the originals with zero compromise. Will the new Bronco improve on the original without compromise?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not a car guy, so correct me if I’m wrong but it seems that the new Mustangs do literally everything better than the old ones. Same goes for the JL. Same for the Super Duty. Modern interpretations of the originals with zero compromise. Will the new Bronco improve on the original without compromise?
There are a few things that the old one's did better:
Initial costs. much cheaper, even in todays dollars. However, offset by replacement schedule. They simple did not last as long., any part of the them. You'd be going through a new car every 2-3 years with how often we drive today.
repair-ability. Much easier to work on a 66 mustang than a 2019. But you don't need to do major repairs every 30,000 miles on a 2019, likely benefit to the newer car.

Objectively, looks and sound. these I prefer most old models for. But many of the new ones do compete. the current mustangs are the best since '72.
Sponsored