Sponsored

Ford should offer this for the lovely Bronco.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I disagree and Don't think they should make a Bronco without removable top, I could see making another vehicle on the Bronco Frame for Lincoln without out removable top. Something to compete with the G class Mercedes.
Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s almost like you could buy a Bronco and just not remove the top and doors.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I will never remove the rear shell, but the I like, at least the idea of, the 'freedom panels'. My 05 Wrangler does not have them, it's the one thing I like better about the 07 ++ Wranglers.

Cruising mountain roads with the panels off, yet readily available is a nifty idea. Although my wife is definitely not the topless type so there may have to be some negotiation. Maybe I'll say I want to take the whole top off and reluctantly settle for removing the panels...:unsure:

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm confused. I thought everyone joined this forum because they love and want a Bronco?😉😉

I would be buying a very different vehicle if I wanted a 4WD with a fixed roof. There are a TON of seriously-capable "closed cab" off-road trucks and SUVs out there. (And many cost less.)

The Bronco is special because it's an open air truck.😍

But... I can't promise that Ford might muck it up a bit since they made a big deal about saying how Bronco is "a whole family" of off-road vehicles, and make a new FSB with a fixed roof and call it a Bronco Expedition or a Bronco Overlander or maybe a Bronco Family Hauler.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get the painted modular top, and just never take it off.

My experience with my Jeep is basically that. Once in a blue moon we’ll take the front freedom panels off over the driver and passenger, or even the front doors, but otherwise it’s just a normal vehicle.
Good point. Add in the headliner and you're set.

Sponsored

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Personally, I would prefer a Bronco with a non-removable roof. I much prefer a moon-roof to a removable top. There is no other SUV that is as capable as the Bronco in the same price range that has a traditional non-removable roof.

Why would past history of a vehicle dictate what can be offered on a new, upgraded model? Why would people who want a non-removable top be told to buy a CUV like we are any less of an outdoor type person that would want the full off-road capabilities of the Bronco?

People mention the 4Runner, but have we forgotten that the original 4Runners were also once available with a partial removable top? There is a lot of precedence for multiple roof options for the same model vehicles. VW Rabbit, VW Bug, Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, etc. It can't be that big of a money loss or technically difficult to do if there are so many out there.

intothegnar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Volkswagen GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally, I would prefer a Bronco with a non-removable roof. I much prefer a moon-roof to a removable top. There is no other SUV that is as capable as the Bronco in the same price range that has a traditional non-removable roof.

Why would past history of a vehicle dictate what can be offered on a new, upgraded model? Why would people who want a non-removable top be told to buy a CUV like we are any less of an outdoor type person that would want the full off-road capabilities of the Bronco?

People mention the 4Runner, but have we forgotten that the original 4Runners were also once available with a partial removable top? There is a lot of precedence for multiple roof options for the same model vehicles. VW Rabbit, VW Bug, Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, etc. It can't be that big of a money loss or technically difficult to do if there are so many out there.
Or a single removal glass panel, instead of four separate opaque panels (or two in the case of 2dr) unless crash safety makes this difficult to pull.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
4Runner says hello! I mean, the damm thing is a legend. If it had the correct number of doors, a stick, and the Bronco wasn’t so sexy; I’d be looking it.

Ford Bronco Ford should offer this for the lovely Bronco. 1617339603902

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
4Runner says hello! I mean, the damm thing is a legend. If it had the correct number of doors, a stick, and the Bronco wasn’t so sexy; I’d be looking it.

Ford Bronco Ford should offer this for the lovely Bronco. 1617339603902
Ever try to fit a 35" tire in a 4Runner? Not that easy. Even 33" tires require quite a bit of work. Whereas the Bronco comes from the factory with 35" tires on some trims. Bronco engine has a lot more power than the 4Runner. Like I said, there are no choices in the Bronco price range that can compare. I'm a huge Toyota fan, but the current 4Runner just can't compete with the Bronco specs. We'll see what the 6th gen will bring.

Sponsored

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah No Thanks.... Not in the Bronco heritage, maybe a Bronco Sport Badlands or Chevy Trail Blazer is move your style? 😁

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome idea call it the trojan horse.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah No Thanks.... Not in the Bronco heritage, maybe a Bronco Sport Badlands or Chevy Trail Blazer is move your style? 😁
Again, why is that if someone doesn't want the removable top they automatically get a recommendation for a CUV or some other vehicle not built for off-roading like the Bronco? Why the assumption that if a person doesn't want removable doors and tops that person must not need a true off-roading capable rig?

I never understood that mentality. It's the same on the Jeep forums. As soon as someone states, they prefer a solid top and non-removable doors, members start recommending they turn in their man cards and get an EV crossover because true off-road enthusiast have to drive with the doors and top off.

If you want to get into heritage, only the 1st and 5th gen Broncos had completely removable tops. The 2nd - 4th gen had a removable top over just the rear seats and rear cab much like the older 4Runners. Not sure if all Broncos had removable doors either. There are a lot of major things different between the original Broncos and the 6th gen. You can't use "heritage" as an excuse when it serves your purpose and ignore the rest.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well 4runner sold 129k units in 2020, while wrangler sold 201k. So the market prefers removable tops 3:2.

Then you have to consider how many incremental customers you would get that absolutely refuse to buy a removable top vehicle. (I bet that number is very small, and further I bet the inverse position of people that demand a convertible is pretty big). Then take that number of extra customers and determine if they are enough to pay for the extra engineering and tooling and plant complexity.

Non removable doors wouldn't be any cost reduction, realistically. They are pretty much regular doors but with a waterproof flap for when the electrical harness is unplugged. Maybe you offer the door bags as a $200 option?

Then there's the fixed roof. Without putting too much effort into research, the base crew cab 4x4 ranger starts at $31k (and doesn't include some bronco features), while the base 4 door bronco starts at $33k. Again, I don't think a <$2000 difference is going to pull in customers that are otherwise on the fence.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well 4runner sold 129k units in 2020, while wrangler sold 201k. So the market prefers removable tops 3:2.

Then you have to consider how many incremental customers you would get that absolutely refuse to buy a removable top vehicle. (I bet that number is very small, and further I bet the inverse position of people that demand a convertible is pretty big). Then take that number of extra customers and determine if they are enough to pay for the extra engineering and tooling and plant complexity.

Non removable doors wouldn't be any cost reduction, realistically. They are pretty much regular doors but with a waterproof flap for when the electrical harness is unplugged. Maybe you offer the door bags as a $200 option?

Then there's the fixed roof. Without putting too much effort into research, the base crew cab 4x4 ranger starts at $31k (and doesn't include some bronco features), while the base 4 door bronco starts at $33k. Again, I don't think a <$2000 difference is going to pull in customers that are otherwise on the fence.

Your arguments are not valid. Do you really think the only reason the Wrangler outsells the 4Runner because of the removable tops and doors? Could there be any other possibility? Say because it's a better off-roading rig? Or maybe some people just like the looks of it even with the top on? I know of at least 2 Wrangler owners (one household has three Wranglers in the driveway) on my street that have NEVER removed the tops and I live in SoCal where we only have spring and summer seasons.

As for being cost effective to have two body versions. How do you explain cars like the Corvette? They have a convertible and a coupe. Worldwide, they sell less than a third of what the 4Runner sells in just the US alone.

Just to be clear, I never said Ford needs to do this or else I wouldn't buy one. The Bronco is still on the table for me. I'm just saying that I agree with the OP and would prefer a non removable hardtop with a sunroof option over having a removable top (with all it's shortcomings) that I will never use. It's a preference. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was once considering the Wrangler JL until I heard about all the major issues they've been having with the steering, welds, electrical, etc. The design of the removable hardtop dumping water runoff into the cab (known issue due to design) was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

It will be an interesting next couple of years as other manufacturers step up their game (I assume and hope) to respond to the Bronco.
Sponsored