Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well there are two thoughts on this
Solder joint is more prone to failing due to vibration aircraft ,offroad stuff ,and wire whiskers can cause problems or fire hazard.

Butt connector may be prone to corrosion if not a heat shrinkable type, and the type and quality of crimp tool makes a big difference

Trust me im a big fan of soldered joints they just seem right but i had to do work on many aircraft of all types and the repair/installation said quality butt connectors only.
The really nice ones are covered in a thick heat shrink with adhesive and the tool to crimp is 250.00
Just my take on 35 years of monkeying with stuffšŸµ
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anyone having second thoughts on getting a Bronco with all these issues and recalls Ford is having right now? Curious because i want to get a Bronco but now i dont know lol
We've created a place for concerned folks here.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Iā€™m probably missing something. People looking to wire a winch to the aux switches might not be able to do that. I see winches wired with battery cable sized wire. If there is more wiring that goes with a winch, one of which could be used to disable the device I stand corrected.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™m probably missing something. People looking to wire a winch to the aux switches might not be able to do that. I see winches wired with battery cable sized wire. If there is more wiring that goes with a winch, one of which could be used to disable the device I stand corrected.
There's no need for a cutoff for a winch (winches I'm aware of anyway). The remote completes the circuit, so if it's not plugged in, the winch won't operate.

Now, interior controls for the winch are a different story but you'd need a SPDT switch and the aux switches are SPST. I grew quite fond of having the winch controls on the dash in my Xterra. I'm going to have figure something out there. Probably and aftermarket SPDT switch tucked discreetly away somewhere.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There's no need for a cutoff for a winch (winches I'm aware of anyway). The remote completes the circuit, so if it's not plugged in, the winch won't operate.

Now, interior controls for the winch are a different story but you'd need a SPDT switch and the aux switches are SPST. I grew quite fond of having the winch controls on the dash in my Xterra. I'm going to have figure something out there. Probably and aftermarket SPDT switch tucked discreetly away somewhere.
Aftermarket may come out with some nice custom hero switches for those of us who don't have them all used up stock.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Question for you wireheads (that may have been answered already, and I apologize if it has) - is the 25A switch connected to the rear compartment going to be enough for an aftermarket inverter? 12V x 25A gives 3000W, but I am not clear on if it inverts perfectly to 120V x 2.5A or not, and if in people's general experience 2.5A is enough to be very useful for a plug.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for you wireheads (that may have been answered already, and I apologize if it has) - is the 25A switch connected to the rear compartment going to be enough for an aftermarket inverter? 12V x 25A gives 3000W, but I am not clear on if it inverts perfectly to 120V x 2.5A or not, and if in people's general experience 2.5A is enough to be very useful for a plug.
Just making sure... youā€™re looking to add an additional inverter on top of the one already included in the Bronco?

(Wait, is the inverter limited to certain trims?)

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's 300 watts.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just making sure... youā€™re looking to add an additional inverter on top of the one already included in the Bronco?

(Wait, is the inverter limited to certain trims?)
I'm looking at a Bigman so mid isn't available but I'd really like a 120V AC plug somewhere. It would be really convenient to be able to use the existing wiring for this purpose, if it is beefy enough and works the way I was thinking.

@Efthreeoh apparently I wasn't thinking too well. Beers math.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm looking at a Bigman so mid isn't available but I'd really like a 120V AC plug somewhere. It would be really convenient to be able to use the existing wiring for this purpose, if it is beefy enough and works the way I was thinking.

@Efthreeoh apparently I wasn't thinking too well. Beers math.
I figured it was a typo. 3,000 watts is a small Honda generator :)

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did anyone notice the little easter egg on the cabin filter cover behind the glovebox?
"NO DEBRIS SHALL BE ALLOWED"
I didnā€™t notice, but thatā€™s hilarious! Especially if youā€˜re off-roading with the doors and/or top off...

Easy access to the cabin filter, at any rate.

Bmtz3845

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima (beater)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So damn convoluded, i mean everything else on these Broncos are plug and play, modular and all etc why not this as well

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So damn convoluded, i mean everything else on these Broncos are plug and play, modular and all etc why not this as well
It doesnā€™t get much more plug and play than this when it comes to aux wiring. Both the f series truck and new Jeep aux wiring is just wires that terminate in the engine bay, and you have to run everything else. With this, for a roof mounted light bar (probably the most common use) or accessory in the rear itā€™s done. Just connect it up, ground it with a self tapper to bare metal and youā€™re in business.

Last edited: