Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels soon - but keep thinking that 18s would look nicer.....But at what cost?
- Comfort loss going from 17s to 18s?
- Decrease of Off Roading capabilities?
- etc......

I'm likely not doing any major rock climbing/crawling stuff, but do want to retain most of the Bronco's off-Roading prowess :)

I'm choosing between the KMC Recon (Satin Black) or the ICON Alloys Thrust (Silver/Alloy color)
Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish I had 17" wheels, but I can't find any I like that don't have a big offset. I don't need paint chips.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish I had 17" wheels, but I can't find any I like that don't have a big offset. I don't need paint chips.
Standard badlands wheels maybe, they look really similar to yours IMO. Though I believe they are a 1/2” wider and 20mm less offset… so, all in all they should only poke 1” more than what you have now.

Keep in mind that I could be wrong, so no guarantees… lol

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels soon - but keep thinking that 18s would look nicer.....But at what cost?
- etc......

I'm likely not doing any major rock climbing/crawling stuff, but do want to retain most of the Bronco's off-Roading prowess :)

I'm choosing between the KMC Recon (Satin Black) or the ICON Alloys Thrust (Silver/Alloy color)
I would go 17s...better for airing down/off road, and they look better on a truck meant to be off road. More tire choices too in that segment (off road tires).

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
- etc......

I'd stay with 17" rims. They look better and perform better.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went from 18 stock OBX wheels to 17 Badlands. Liked the BL rims better. Got 295/70/17’s on . Very happy
Ford Bronco 17" vs. 18" wheels A4B1851A-D890-4891-BE39-EBF04310BB48
Ford Bronco 17" vs. 18" wheels A4B1851A-D890-4891-BE39-EBF04310BB48
Any issues with crash bars? Are those 17" rims? Nice!

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- etc......
Neither of which is going to give you a noticeable advantage/disadvantage in anything performance related. Comfort is going to come more from the size of sidewall and PSI in the tires, and unless you're going to be running rubber band tires on either the 17 or 18 inch wheel, the comfort is going to be damn near identical. Off-road capabilities are again going to be negligible. Unless you're crawling, which you say you're not, that extra 0.5" of sidewall isn't going to matter. The capabilities are going to come more from what tire you run and how much air is in them as opposed to an extra 1" total of sidewall.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went with the 17 Badlands rims b/c I think they look better than the stock OBX rims. Plus a 1/2 inch wider. Took my crash bars off before the install, not sure if it was necessary.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Go ahead and get those 24’s you’ve been looking at. No one here would ever judge you for it. 😉
24 = NO WAY :). But I get how you would have assumed that. ;)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On a 4wd, rubber looks better than wheel. Bigger wheels will always look out of place on any thing classic or 4wd to me. I'd vote for staying 17.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Neither of which is going to give you a noticeable advantage/disadvantage in anything performance related. Comfort is going to come more from the size of sidewall and PSI in the tires, and unless you're going to be running rubber band tires on either the 17 or 18 inch wheel, the comfort is going to be damn near identical. Off-road capabilities are again going to be negligible. Unless you're crawling, which you say you're not, that extra 0.5" of sidewall isn't going to matter. The capabilities are going to come more from what tire you run and how much air is in them as opposed to an extra 1" total of sidewall.
Thanks for the guidance and also pretty much exactly what my good friend here said :)

Lucky13!

Outer Banks
First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had the exact same debate. Really wanted 18's but ended up going with 17's mainly due to the huge cost difference ($550 for my setup). Love the way it came out but have to say there are days I wish I had gone with the 18's.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn't do 18s, tire selection has been shrinking. Right now the most tire options are 17s and 20s.

How big of a tire do you want? What load rating? I would do a 265/60r20 on a daily driver and you can get a fairly aggressive tire in that size P rated.
Sponsored