Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan S, Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The title pretty much says it all.

Getting concerned about all the hand wringing over the 2.7 issues on this forum. I went with it for my build due to generally always leaning towards the more powerful engine when purchasing vehicles and only test driving one in a Squatched 2-door.
But now I'm reconsidering since the 2.3 is already used in 4-doors as well. Basic reasoning would lead me to believe the lighter weight of the 2-door may do just fine with the smaller engine. Just not sure if adding the Sasquatch package will make it too anemic...

Can any of you lucky souls that have already received 2-doors with the 2.3 AND the SAS package provide your personal feedback/opinions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.3 still has more horsepower than the 5.8l in the 1996 bronco, or any non-hybrid non-v8 wrangler.

it’ll be just fine, no sports car, but more than adequate.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My racing days are behind me. I now prefer to go slow through the trees. I'm also usually in the middle or right lane on the highway. My current ride weighs close to the Bronco but only has about 120 hp so I think the turbo 2.3 with a manual should be MORE than sufficient for me. I've only driven a 2.3 auto 4-door non-SAS Bronco and it was peppy. SAS will get you the better gearing so it should be just fine.

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i know you’re looking for feedback from 2 door owners but I’m a happy owner of the 2.3 in a Sasquatch 4 door so I’m sure you’ll be more than satisfied in a 2 door…I was initially worried it wouldn’t be enough but I promise it is.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine's not a Sasquatch but I have the 2.3L in my Base 2-door Stripper, which I've added 35's to. It has the manual trans with 4.46 gearing and it has plenty of power. And it get's beat on regularly LOL. I'd bet the 4.7 gears in the Sasquatch would be perfect with the 2.3 in a 2-door.

By the way, I have a '70 Early Bronco with a '95 5.8L fuel injected V8 swapped in, which was the most powerful engine Ford ever put into a Bronco through the first 5 generations. My 2.3L will outrun it in a drag race.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Primm907

Primm907

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan S, Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Appreciate everyone's quick responses. It confirms what I was guessing (and hoping) might be the case. As mentioned, this type of vehicle tends to be driven a bit differently anyway. I actually enjoy easing around in the old 100-series like a grandpa for a nice change of pace!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another Base, manual with 35's , 4.46 gears here.

at 4.46, it is just a tiny bit over geared.
4.70 w/35's will be the sweet spot. As will 4.46 w/33's.

You're gonna love it!

Base, 35's NO LIFT!!! (no rub on the street)
Ford Bronco 2.3 in Squatched 2-Doors Sufficient? 1642439560285

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate everyone's quick responses. It confirms what I was guessing (and hoping) might be the case. As mentioned, this type of vehicle tends to be driven a bit differently anyway. I actually enjoy easing around in the old 100-series like a grandpa for a nice change of pace!
^ This right here...

Slow cruising on pavement, off pavement, off road, just ambles along wherever you want to go. This is a 'smell the roses' type of vehicle. You want a fast car, then go buy one. You want a stupid fast vehicle? Go buy a liquid cooled motorcycle. Fast in the desert? Get a Raptor.

Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a sasquatch but I have a 2.3 4 door with 35s and it's perfectly fine. It's no racecar but still gets on the highway without any fuss and has plenty of pull when passing people.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L 7MT 4dr Badlands owner and loving it. Plenty of power especially with the 4.70 gearing that comes along with the manual on a Badlands

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

48000 built by the end of November iirc, of which 72% estimated having the 2.7l. So 34,500 2.7l around, and 25 have been reported here with issues. That's .072% failure, which yes that's more than any 2.3l issues reported, but still.

I personally know two different people with brand new Tahoes who have them at the dealer waiting on new lifters, which won't be fixed and back to them anytime soon because head gaskets are apparently scarce, they're looking at 6-8 weeks before those are available.