Sponsored

2.3 MT w/ Factory Tow Pkg: Trailer Brake System Malfunction?

Steiner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC Sierra, 2016 BMW 328d, 2001 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This weekend, I took the Bronco out to the local ORV park. I’m relatively new at off-roading, so didn’t do anything crazy. Had the Bronco in “Mud / Rut” mode and was climbing a bill when about half way up the Bronco stalled along with a “Trailer Brake System Malfunction Warning” in the cluster. The Bronco restarted itself and I tried to continue up the hill with a little more gas while lifting the clutch only to have same result and warning. I ended up backing down the hill.
The same issue happened a couple more times during the trip, but always when I attempted a hill. I was able to drive the Bronco home without any issues and haven’t seen any other faults since. Should I attribute this to poor off-road technique or is something more sinister at play?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you installed an aftermarket brake controller?

OP
OP
Steiner

Steiner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do you have factory tow wiring or accessory /aftermarket?

Do you have anything plugged into your four or 7 pin towing connector?

Is there mud or water potentially in your four or 7 pin connector?

OP
OP
Steiner

Steiner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have factory tow wiring or accessory /aftermarket?

Do you have anything plugged into your four or 7 pin towing connector?

Is there mud or water potentially in your four or 7 pin connector?
It is the factory tow wiring - I haven't made any modification.

I don't have anything plugged into the connector - in fact, I don't think I've even used it yet.

I don't believe there was mud /water in the connector. It is covered by factor plastic cover still, plus I didn't really encounter any mud / water on the trip. I washed the vehicle afterwards and specifically checked that area and couldn't see any "contamination".

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It is the factory tow wiring - I haven't made any modification.

I don't have anything plugged into the connector - in fact, I don't think I've even used it yet.

I don't believe there was mud /water in the connector. It is covered by factor plastic cover still, plus I didn't really encounter any mud / water on the trip. I washed the vehicle afterwards and specifically checked that area and couldn't see any "contamination".
Ok - then I’d worry about the software and/or whatever module includes “Trailer Brake System”.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No - I should have specified, I have the factory tow package.
10-4. The factory tow package does not include any brake controller...very odd you would get a "trailer Brake Malfunction" warning. Looks like a trip to the dealer to diagnose.

St27964

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone get resolution on this issue? My WT is currently at the dealer after I had three separate instances of the trailer brake error and then a random complete shutdown of the bronco a day after while in drive. Seems like a computer short of some sort but they’ve had no luck IDing what’s going on yet.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

any answers on this? After some heavy rain, I started getting the Trailer Braking fault repeatedly while driving. It keeps popping up. I restarted a few times and it did not resolve. Then the next day, it was gone and hasn't happened again in a week.

Badlands 2.3, 7MT, factory tow pkg.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
any answers on this? After some heavy rain, I started getting the Trailer Braking fault repeatedly while driving. It keeps popping up. I restarted a few times and it did not resolve. Then the next day, it was gone and hasn't happened again in a week.

Hi there, Joe. This doesn't sound like the type of experience we want you to have with your Bronco. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you ever get a resolution?

I got the error today. Badlands 2.3, 7MT, factory tow pkg, let off the clutch a green light and it lurched like the brakes were on then stalled and popped up some trailer brake error. Started right back up and worked fine.

Sunny dry day, trailer system not used yet, no supplemental attachments.

Plus - anyone know if you can go back and read the error messages somewhere? It flashed up and was gone so quick I hardly saw it. I know I have missed other messages, it would be nice if you could access a list of error messages.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you ever get a resolution?

I got the error today. Badlands 2.3, 7MT, factory tow pkg, let off the clutch a green light and it lurched like the brakes were on then stalled and popped up some trailer brake error. Started right back up and worked fine.

Sunny dry day, trailer system not used yet, no supplemental attachments.

Plus - anyone know if you can go back and read the error messages somewhere? It flashed up and was gone so quick I hardly saw it. I know I have missed other messages, it would be nice if you could access a list of error messages.
It went away and never came back. More recently, I had a front camera error that was also throwing a collision system error. Took it to the dealer, they said it wasn't happening and it has not come back.

As for tracking, I thought that all this reporting was stored in the cloud. But the dealer never seems to be able to retrieve this stuff. I can't get a straight answer on that.

Sorry no help.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It went away and never came back. More recently, I had a front camera error that was also throwing a collision system error. Took it to the dealer, they said it wasn't happening and it has not come back.

As for tracking, I thought that all this reporting was stored in the cloud. But the dealer never seems to be able to retrieve this stuff. I can't get a straight answer on that.

Sorry no help.
Thanks, glad to hear it didn't come back because it was weird...

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They can get to it. The logged DTCs (for the last 90 days) are retrievable via FordServiceInfo and the online service info subscription. It costs ~$27 for 72 hours of access for the public. You'd then request real-time info via a form ... which returns with access quickly. You do have access to the complete service manual, wiring diagrams, and troubleshooting flowchart as well.

Here is what that looks like:

Ford Bronco 2.3 MT w/ Factory Tow Pkg: Trailer Brake System Malfunction? 1712271133983-0x

Logged codes and condition shown on the calendar. Listing of the DTCs follow.

Ford Bronco 2.3 MT w/ Factory Tow Pkg: Trailer Brake System Malfunction? 1712271248327-h9

As seen above, these vehicles can be chatty.
Sponsored

Last edited: