First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've never heard of straining a clutch. Either the pressure plate has enough clamping force or it doesn't. Asking the pressure plate to do its job isn't "straining" anything.
The fuel economy will be better with less boost, but otherwise don't worry about it.
Just drive the vehicle and don't worry about the gear or the boost. These 2.3 and 2.7 engines were built for the boost, which means stronger engine components. Just have fun.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jboes13

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Good to know! I was unsure of how many people out there went with the MT on a Badlands. Ill be sure to keep my RPMs in the powerband more often when traveling higher speeds. MPG might suffer, though better than heavy wear and tear on the engine/drivetrain.

Did not know that about the brakes, I will be sure to remember that if I happen to run into a situation of such. Thank you for that insight!

OP
OP
jboes13

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you going to warp heads moving at 70 mph uphill? They warp if you overheat the engine, like way overheat. These engines are made quite robustly they will also protect themselves before ever getting into a danger zone.
It was something someone told when in a MT vehicle, not to run the engine on low RPMs while trying to accelerate. (Granny shifting might be a good word for it) Now this might be something I was mislead to believe, it is all I knew/know. Thus the reason for the thread question, for my incompetency lol

OP
OP
jboes13

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed, my original post was because of previous threads on clutch failures, and the OP's original question pointed to possibly less experience operating a manual transmission.
[/QUOTE

Lexington gang!👋
We're closing in on 8,000 miles on our 2-door Base 2.3/7-speed. Just completed a 3,500 mile road trip over the holidays in it, with some 10-hour driving days. This engine trans combo is a joy to drive, even in traffic, even in hills and curves. We have 35" tires on the stock 4.46 gears so first is slightly under-geared but the rest of them feel just right. My only advice to those getting a manual transmission is to buy the Ford pre-paid maintenance plan. I think it's especially important with the manual transmission because it comes with free clutch service any time, not tied to maintenance intervals. Especially if you wheel it on tough trails without lockers like I do, the clutch will probably have a shortened lifespan :)

0B5A4662-AC70-4857-B7FF-81C658F12312.jpg
Great photo and wheels on your rig! That service plan sounds inciting, I plan on doing some off-roading. Although being my daily driver. I tend to be a little more cautious. It would make me feel more at ease knowing I am covered when needed!

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you have an RS or an ST? I've definitely slipped my RS clutch without any clutch input at peak torque in fourth gear 😅 nature of the beast unfortunately
Mine's only a SE, just a cheap gas saver since this companie's covid policy added 100 miles a day to my personal.

I needed to run pemium in my Wrangler, so that little car saved me a ton of money while we were driving personal vehicles. I origionally wanted to go with a ST, but the thisty premium drinking engine wouldhave defeated the purpose of getting a second vehicle. So glad I go the SE instead at the time, since I regular drove it through farm fields and over curbs.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

This is a terrible recommendation. #1, the ebrake is electric in the bronco. #2, the emergency brake only actuates the rear brakes which might cause the rear brakes to lock up you and you lose control of your vehicle.

Just because the assist is gone doesn't mean you can't modulate the brake pedal, you just have to push much harder to apply the brakes.

Ford uses a vacuum canister, to provide vacuum assist at times when there isn't a vacuum from the engine. Even naturally aspirated engines can be in a situation where no vacuum is available.

I had a ford 3.6 v6 that was factory supercharged and had vacuum assist brakes. It put out 16psi and never had a lack of brake assist at the end of a quarter-mile run.

People need to stop worrying about their broncos and just drive them.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sort of forced into 6th on the highway. Since messing around with FORscan (added Sport mode to my BL and reconfigured the speedo for 37's) my cruise control doesn't work in 5th but works in all other gears. So 6th it is for highway cruising. One of these days I am going to set everything back to default and troubleshoot the problem.

Also, who else uses C for other than crawling? Not only does it perform great off-road but I have found it useful for stop and go traffic, the drop of line at the kids school, as well and going up parking garages.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also, who else uses C for other than crawling? Not only does it perform great off-road but I have found it useful for stop and go traffic, the drop of line at the kids school, as well and going up parking garages.
I use the Crawl gear in stop-and-go traffic! I live in So Cal, that's a way of life here LOL.

OP
OP
jboes13

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sort of forced into 6th on the highway. Since messing around with FORscan (added Sport mode to my BL and reconfigured the speedo for 37's) my cruise control doesn't work in 5th but works in all other gears. So 6th it is for highway cruising. One of these days I am going to set everything back to default and troubleshoot the problem.

Notice any major changes with 37s? Like or dislike of a heavier tire?

Same here, when moving over large rocks, along with heavy traffic crawler can be nice

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Notice any major changes with 37s? Like or dislike
No major differences. A tiny bit slower off the line but that's about it. Before installing them, I always had it in the back of my mind that I would need a taller gear but now that I have them on there I quickly realized the 4.7s handle the 37's really well.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On all transmissions there is a gear that typically is a 1:1 ratio or close to that. (I think 3rd for the bronco MT). Dyno shops use that gear when finding horsepower and torque numbers because it is most efficient at transferring power through the drivetrain. Any gears higher are less efficient at torque transfer, and the clutch has to take up that torque to turn the drivetrain.

Agreed, clutch should not slip in any gear. The higher the gear, the more stress on the clutch's clamping force. Obviously this becomes more if a concern when running in high horsepower engines.
1:1 is 4th gear.

Screenshot_20220105-220107_Drive.jpg
Sponsored